Looking for Suggestions

Universal Suffrage doesn't really help with war weariness. It makes one unhappy-because-of-WW person content in each town. You probably won't notice the difference.
Ah. Good to know. So it's really only good for the culture. :(
To cripple their wartime research capability, pillage.
I've usually done this in two ways: bombed certain resources, and bombed to cut off a city from its Civ. Should I also just generally pillage stuff to reduce commerce & production? That's something I've not really done.

And food, sometimes it's useful to starve a city to lower its defensive bonus. Pillaging is a tactic I use pre-railroads; after steam power, wars move faster and, like CKS said, you don't want to pillage tiles you'll own soon.

Ok, I ended up taking over my continent (and one island), which successfully prevented a Domination loss. Then I made peace so I could consolidate and rebuild to prepare for an overseas invasion. However, the tech was getting high enough that I was afraid would have lost the Space Race had I not gotten into it, so I switched gears & successfully launched the ship for my first win (on my first game on) Monarch. Woo Hoo!

You should also have some cities producing solely artillery, so no barracks in those. Cities with near-max corruption should be irrigated and set to settler duty (have you read Moonsinger's combat settler article?). Consider building fortresses or forests on border tiles so they can't sneak attack you. If they invade tell them to leave or declare so you get some war happiness.
This is the type of very useful and practical advice that I love getting.

Should I also just generally pillage stuff to reduce commerce & production? That's something I've not really done.
It depends on the situation. If I have an army available for it and my enemy is powerful, I like to send it to pillage my enemy's core. Cutting all roads to the capital means that no one else can trade with them. Taking out food, shields, and commerce there is a major setback for as long as they can't rebuild them, which they won't if my army is around. Rioting core cities is nice for setting them back, too. The effects of pillaging can last far longer than the war.

Incidentally, you can slow AI builds when you are at peace by having workers go in and irrigate their mined tiles. The AI doesn't seem to mind.

If they have bombers, armies can be killed. They also should be kept from ending a turn on the coast, where they can be hit by ships. I don't like to end an armies turn near a town, in case they have arty.

It depends on the situation. If I have an army available for it and my enemy is powerful, I like to send it to pillage my enemy's core. Cutting all roads to the capital means that no one else can trade with them. Taking out food, shields, and commerce there is a major setback for as long as they can't rebuild them, which they won't if my army is around. Rioting core cities is nice for setting them back, too. The effects of pillaging can last far longer than the war.
I actually never got around to building any WE's ... by the time I was building my forces up, I was way past that era, and likewise with any war, so I never got an Army. However, I've in the past cut off all roads to the AI capital using Bombers. It wasn't convenient to do this time because their capital was far away on another continent and I never had a strong navy.
Incidentally, you can slow AI builds when you are at peace by having workers go in and irrigate their mined tiles. The AI doesn't seem to mind.
That is indeed bizarre. I'll have to try that sometime.

--------------------------------------------------

As it turns out, my initial quest for a 60K victory was doomed anyway. Egypt (having wiped out Spain and France) ended up with more culture than I had. I didn't get anywhere close to where I wanted to be. Fortunately, not only was I ahead enough for the Spaceship, but I had a late-breaking scientific leader show up allowing me to finish it ahead of schedule (though I would have gotten it anyway ... Egypt was a couple parts behind me). If I'd gone for Domination, I'm not confident I would have gotten it before they launched their Ship, but that was all due to bad planning. I actually did much better than I had expected (though they had lots of annoying Bombers). Still, it worked out & looking forward to my next game.

I had workers booted once. I'm pretty sure they were the only two units in foreign territory. They were building an invasion road at least two tiles into the civ's territory, so it makes sense to have booted them, but that was the first and only time I was ever booted for workers only by the AI.

I had workers booted once. I'm pretty sure they were the only two units in foreign territory.
I have never seen that! The only times, when I got workers, scouts or settlers kicked out, there was also a combat unit inside their borders, even if it was only loaded in a ship inside their waters. Are you really sure that not something like this was the case in your case as well?!

Have workers booted or I am told we have transgressed often. Makes me mad as often they have troops in my borders and we can never boot workers. I seem to remember being able to move workers in others lands in civ3. I may be wrong about that part.

Have workers booted or I am told we have transgressed often. Makes me mad as often they have troops in my borders and we can never boot workers. I seem to remember being able to move workers in others lands in civ3. I may be wrong about that part.
Pretty sure I've booted workers before. But I've never caught them working my squares unless I flipped a square while they're working it.

I've never had workers or settlers booted when they were the only units in AI territory, but I've accidentally gotten booted when a unit on automove unexpectedly wandered into AI territory or a boat passed through their waters.

I have often used this intentionally to speed up passage between disconnected parts of my land. I send the workers or settlers along by themselves. When they get to halfway, I send in another unit and my workers and settlers are sent the rest of the way speedily.

I have never seen that! The only times, when I got workers, scouts or settlers kicked out, there was also a combat unit inside their borders, even if it was only loaded in a ship inside their waters. Are you really sure that not something like this was the case in your case as well?!

I'm reasonably sure, but I never fully trust my brain. I remember the particular game and am pretty sure it's one of the ones someone posted as helpless, and I think I had a turnlog going. I'm pretty sure I remarked on it at the time but can't find the thread or log at the moment. Heck, I may still have the game saves around. If I find more "evidence" I'll bring it up, but I definitely recall thinking it was unprecedented.

The game was a small or tiny 2-continent map, and the civ was on my continent so I don't think there would be a reason to have a ship in their territory at that point in the game. But again, I can never be 100% sure of anything.

Which, by the way, I mean to emphasize how near-impossible it is to get only workers booted, so WeirdoJoker and anyone else should certainly feel emboldened to wreak worker havoc in their neighbor's civs.

Edit: Another thing I'm nearly certain of is that there were no combat units in their territory as I was a turn or two from invading and strive to keep my reputation intact.

Well, I found the thread and turnlog for the game I thought this happened, but I can't find any mention of getting my workers booted. I thought it was when I invaded Korea to the S, so it should have been circa-1130-AD. So at least some of my memory around this unique event is faulty or at least conflated with another game.

But for what little it's worth—i.e. not much— have a pretty strong memory of being really astoundingly surprised by getting two workers booted. Once.

Top Bottom