Looking for the SCIENCE values

shinkicker

Warlord
I noticed that none of the existing Civs really have any +science traits and thought I'd figure out how to add one, hopefully using the existing tags in the XML files.

So I went to my \XML folder and did a string search in the files for "SCIENCE".

All it found were:

From GlobalAIDefines.xml:

<Row Name="AI_VALUE_OF_YIELD_SCIENCE">
<Value>8</Value>
</Row>

<Row Name="AI_CITIZEN_VALUE_SCIENCE">
<Value>6</Value>
</Row>

... and.

From CIV5Yields.xml:

<Row>
<ID>3</ID>
<Type>YIELD_SCIENCE</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_YIELD_SCIENCE</Description>
<IconString>[ICON_RESEARCH]</IconString>
<MinCity>0</MinCity>
<AIWeightPercent>80</AIWeightPercent>
</Row>

I did a similar search on 'RESEARCH' and all I found were some definitions and building modifiers but nothing that looks to me like it would allow a civilization or building TYPE to work at +science. I can't accept that this is right.

There is a TRAIT_CREATIVE in the Civ5Traits.XML file but it is not given any values.

If I want to create a new building that adds SCIENCE/RESEARCH, isn't there some kind of a modifier or value that can be adjusted for that building?

There are other values in the global defines, probably not what your looking for, like base science rate (per citizen I assume).

I'm not sure what you mean by the Buildings, there's plenty of buildings that give a % of science, but not a hard value like +10 or something... not sure if you could do that without editing the dll, because it would require adding to the schema.

I'm pretty sure that Babylon's trait is something science based, but no Babylon for me, so I don't know exactly, there's a Bablyon mod around here somewhere, I think its exactly the same as the DLC, except without the art.

There are other values in the global defines, probably not what your looking for, like base science rate (per citizen I assume).

I'm not sure what you mean by the Buildings, there's plenty of buildings that give a % of science, but not a hard value like +10 or something... not sure if you could do that without editing the dll, because it would require adding to the schema.

I'm pretty sure that Babylon's trait is something science based, but no Babylon for me, so I don't know exactly, there's a Bablyon mod around here somewhere, I think its exactly the same as the DLC, except without the art.

I've already downloaded the Babylon mod, but all it does is give you an increased chance of a Great Scientist.

<Row>
<Type>TRAIT_INGENIOUS</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_INGENIOUS</Description>
<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_INGENIOUS_SHORT</ShortDescription>
<GreatScientistRateModifier>100</GreatScientistRateModifier>
<FreeUnit>UNITCLASS_SCIENTIST</FreeUnit>
<FreeUnitPrereqTech>TECH_WRITING</FreeUnitPrereqTech>
</Row>

I don't have the Babylon DLC either, though I keep hoping they'll offer it for sale.

I'm just puzzled why previous Civs had at least one leader who provided +SCIENCE but it's not in CIV5 from what I can find. I have to be missing something, here.

well it actually does have Trait_YieldChanges listed, and Science is a Yield, so you could do something with that, though that seems overpowered.

Maybe even try the Trait_ExtraYieldThresholds, but there's not too many hex's that provide raw science except jungles (with a university) so that might not be ideal.

Also Trait_YieldModifiers is listed, there's actually quite a few possibilities.

Edit: there's also a crap ton of Yield changing modifiers in the Buildings.xml also

The trait yeild threshold can be anything. You could make it 3 food and have it give extra science. If you wanted to go through some hoops you could make a free building that increases science rate and/or grants free science in each city. Go nuts ;p

Top Bottom