Looking to try civ4 PBEM

charliekains

Chieftain
Hi, I heard about PBEM games for civ4 and wondered if there were any still going on or starting?

Have you played PBEM before? I played with a friend once many years ago. I haven't played civ 4 for a long time either, but I thought it might be fun, it was one of my favourite civs!

Have you played PBEM before? I played with a friend once many years ago. I haven't played civ 4 for a long time either, but I thought it might be fun, it was one of my favourite civs!
Yes, I've been playing PBEM continually for years, nay decades if you include Civ CtP :) These days I mainly play with a friend of mine, but I'm keen to play games with more human players in them.

Cool, I had no idea that people played the game like this.
I only really play civ5 nowadays but I would defiantly like to give civ4 PBEM a go, even if it was only 2-3 players, although more players would be fun

If no one else here expresses an interest within, say, a couple of days, we could get a game going. I'll ask my friend if he would like to play too.

Be prepared to be patient. One turn per day is a good turn rate, and it's often slower. What time zone/country are you in?

My friend doesn't want to play - one game at a time is enough for him.

So, in preparation, I presume you're running the fully patched Civ IV - Beyond the Sword?

I have the vanilla and beyond the sword running from steam so I assume it is fully patched.
Just so you know civ4 was the first civ I played and I only played it for a year or 2 before civ5 came out so I am not that good at it. I have played civ5 for years though, even now as I didn't really like civ6. I play civ 5 on immortal mostly.

Ok... Shall I set up a game, or you?

If your ISP or email provider has an accessable SMTP server you can set the game up to send turns from within the game. Most people don't seem to be able to do that, so send it manually.

There is an active MP community at realmsbeyond.net. They, however, play Pitboss (dedicated server, usually simultaneous move outside of war turns) over PBEM and with balance mods. The advantage of Pitboss is that it enforces a turn timer (usually 24 hours). PBEMs have a tendency to fall apart because people stop playing at an acceptable rate. There are also Spanish and German language communities that are somewhat active.

Thanks civac, that sounds good. How does one join or initiate a game there?

Also: my version of Civ IV BtS is not Steam. I do, however, have Steam installed on my PC. Will this combination work for pitboss games?

Last edited:
Ok... Shall I set up a game, or you?

If your ISP or email provider has an accessable SMTP server you can set the game up to send turns from within the game. Most people don't seem to be able to do that, so send it manually.
Better that you set up the game as you know what you are doing

Top Bottom