Loss of infrastructure when city is conquered

martindo

Warlord
Is there a list of "priority" that the game uses to determine what gets destroyed and what is left standing?
Loss of defensive buildings (e.g., Walls) and XP training (e.g., Barracks) seems obvious.
I'm pretty sure courthouses get broken because large cities need them and I think sometimes they had one before I took the city.
Religious buildings are safe? Culture buildings that are unoccuptied by GP can get broken?

And how does one explain university and stock exchange left standing while library and market are destroyed? Is there a logic that they originally cost more to build, so they are bigger and more durable (built during later tech era)? It seems odd to have the public school or univ but no library.

Always destroyed: Monument, XP buildings (including Assyrian Royal Library), defensive buildings, anti-spy buildings, Courthouse, national wonders
Always kept: world wonders, Amphitheater, Opera House, Museum, Broadcast Tower, Mosque, Pagoda, Cathedral
66% survival chance: everything else

I'm not certain what the chance is for guilds, maybe someone else can chime in. Looking at the XML files, I'd assume they get the default 0%, but I'm positive I've captured guilds before...

Always destroyed: Monument, XP buildings (including Assyrian Royal Library), defensive buildings, anti-spy buildings, Courthouse, national wonders
Always kept: world wonders, Amphitheater, Opera House, Museum, Broadcast Tower, Mosque, Pagoda, Cathedral

I'm not certain what the chance is for guilds, maybe someone else can chime in. Looking at the XML files, I'd assume they get the default 0%, but I'm positive I've captured guilds before...
Thanks but not completely accurate. I have numerous times taken a city that has no Amphitheater but still has Opera House and Museum. The latter two could not have been built without the former.

Also, playing Morocco at Emperor level, I lost a city briefly to Catholic Holland today and recaptured it. It had lost my Pagoda, but retained the Cathedral and Monastery that I bought when it had been converted by Holland many turns before they conquered it.

Although probability for survival of a specific building makes sense, I consistently see Library gone while Univ and Public School remain, which also happened in this game.

It's worth noting that I play Vanilla on a downloaded game. I ditched Steam years ago.

Correction: I went back to the saved Morocco game and discovered that I had forgotten to build a Pagoda in Rabat, even though there was one in each of my other cities. Probably because I was low on Faith when I built the other religion's buildings before converting the city back to my religion, then I neglected to get my Pagoda after Faith accumulated again.

Last edited:

@vadalaz probably Monastery kept too?

I, too, am certain that I have captured guilds.

I'm going by the CIV5Buildings.xml file, and Monastery is 66% supposedly.

XML:
<Row>
<Type>BUILDING_MONASTERY</Type>
<ConquestProb>66</ConquestProb>
</Row>

But as I said, my Pagoda was destroyed on Vanilla. So is that XML sequence you quote from a Mod?
Or could there be a subroutine regarding REcapture which enables Pagoda and other to be destroyed when you retake your city?

@aafritz17: Yes, I have captured a guild and a national wonder that I didn't have in my own cities. Rare, but it happens.

Last edited:
No, it's in the base game. The files are located in Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\Buildings, Pagoda is in CIV5Buildings_Inherited_Expansion2.

No, it's in the base game. The files are located in Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\Buildings, Pagoda is in CIV5Buildings_Inherited_Expansion2.
I have the Campaign Edition with all the initial DLC (extra leaders, etc.). I can't find that XML folder in /Library.

See above strikethroughs in two posts regarding my faulty memory about the Pagoda.

Hmm, I have the Steam version on Windows, so I guess the path must be different for you. I found this post by beetle, maybe this method will work?

The easiest way to find it is, with Civ running, right-click and pick Options -> Show in Finder. Then right click -> Show Package Contents.
From there, Contents -> Assets -> Assets -> Gameplay -> XML

Thanks for that but I believe it only works while using Steam. Here's what I get when I drop-down Options:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-16 at 3.34.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-16 at 3.34.09 AM.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom