1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Lyrics for Baba Yetu (For those who want to sing/read along)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by MSTK, Jul 14, 2005.

1. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

Anyone know how I can ditch the bloody thing and have Slayers "South of Heaven" play instead?

We exported all our worthy religious types to America about 250 years ago!

2. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

yeah that's easy, simply turn your speakers off or the in game sound down and put a cd on, et voila. Otherwise you'd have to alter the wav file involved and I'm not sure that's such a good idea. Slayer huh? bit light weight but dig your choice:p ;)

Angel of Deaaaaath, March to the kingdom of the damned!!!

See it's not quite CIV is it?

3. Dueck

Dueck Walrold

Hahaha, owned. <3 Krikkitone

4. eriadoc

eriadoc Chieftain

Without going into the files that specify what .mp3 to play when (assuming it's even possible), one easy way would be to name a copy of your Slayer tune to the same name as the Baba Yetu mp3 and copy it to that location.

5. Robo Magic Man

Robo Magic Man Prince

Yeah, I recently changed the song for a mod. It's really easy. Just go into C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Sounds\Soundtrack, rename your song of choice as OpeningMenu, and replace the mp3. However, I'd suggest saving the old mp3 just in case :).

6. CivFan91

CivFan91 Emperor

Those lyrics make me love that song even more. :jesus:

7. Graadiapolistan

Graadiapolistan Gradiapolistan

I have to say I'm disapointed that they chose a Christian song even if it's in a foreign language. :rolleyes:

Isn't Civ supposed to be universal?

:( :confused:

random ninja smiley--> :ninja:

8. CivFan91

CivFan91 Emperor

If you were Christian and they chose an Islamic song, would you be equally offended?

Likewise, did you enjoy the song before you knew what the lyrics were?

If you answer yes to either question, my advice would be "don't worry about it". Just enjoy the game.

9. Graadiapolistan

Graadiapolistan Gradiapolistan

it's not taking away from my enjoyment but something universal would suit civ better no?

10. CivFan91

CivFan91 Emperor

Maybe. But I like it. :)

11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

To make it truly "universal" it couldn't be in any language, couldn't use any particular instruments (except maybe human vocal chords), and couldn't have any traces of musical influence from any culture past or present.

12. Ultima Dragoon

Ultima Dragoon FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

I :love: baba Yetu the first time Civ 4 first got onto the main menu. I'm listening to it right now. :D

13. Glinka

Glinka Prince

They know they already have strategy gamers and former Civ players in hand to buy the game. But if they're aiming to make this what's called a "breakout" title with a broader public and greater sales, then they need "handles" that will appeal to the larger public. For better or worse, I suspect Civ4's developers perceived that broader public in the US as favoring family values, which translates these days into Judeo-Christianity, and quotes from the bible. Result: a game that can be recommended and discussed by people who get offended as RPGs with elves and demons because they're "Satanic." :rolleyes:

It is, as Mel Brooks memorably said in Spaceballs, with his thick accent, all about "Moichandicing!"

14. Meffy

Meffy humanoid skunk

a-HEM! *tailtwitch* How parochial and species-centric.

:-}

15. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

Yes, of course. Univeral = anything that is not Christian or Jewish.

16. CivFan91

CivFan91 Emperor

Right. Muslims, Hindus and the like are worshipped for the ground they walk on, but Jews and we Christians have no rights.

17. Danghis Khan

Danghis Khan Your Friendly Pillager

Yeah, the Civ5 song in Mongolian throat singing! :p

18. Raisin Bran

Raisin Bran Cereal Killer

It sounds like some song that the ''Cirque du Soleil'' would do .... do we know in the credits who wrote this song and who performs it !?

19. MSTK

MSTK Deity

Did you even read the first post?

20. Damion_Foster

Damion_Foster Chieftain

Mmmmk....At first I really liked the song on Civ 4...I would sit in my room and just kinda listen to it and chill before goign into a game...

where as Yes Civ is supposed to be universal, it dosent mean the SONG has to be universal... it's main representation in Civ is more the feeling of hope and happiness that you get (whereas I'm stating this from a christian POV, I also have many friends who are of different religons, and they agree with me...

Though I was throughly impressed when I actully read the words because in an instaint it made sense why it was so uplifting when I listened to it...

But at the same time, I will agree with Glinka...chances are thats why they put this as the main song. Though I don't think too many people except hXc civvers are goign to be too worried about what the lyrics mean ;)