Lyrics for Baba Yetu (For those who want to sing/read along)

Okay. I've been lazy and slacking off, but I got the basics for the chords and tabs of the song.

Code:
CHORUS

G
Baba yetu, yetu uliye mbinguni yetu, yetu, amina!

Em                     C         D
Baba yetu, yetu, uliye jina lako litukuzwe.

(x2)

Em                                              D
Utupe leo chakula chetu tunachohitaji utusamehe

G                  D
Makosa yetu, hey!  Kama nasi tunavyowasamehe

Em                                            D
Waliotukosea usitutie katika majaribu, lakini

G                 D       A
Utuokoe, na yule, milelea milele!

D
Baba yetu, yetu uliye mbinguni yetu, yetu, amina!

Bm                     G         A
Baba yetu, yetu, uliye jina lako litukuzwe.

(x2)

C D Em D
Gm F Bbm Ab

Dbm    A     E       B
Ufalme wako ufike utakalo

Dbm       A       E        B
Lifanyike duniani kama mbinguni. (Amina)

A     Dbm A Dbm
A Dbm B   C D

REPEAT CHORUS

Em                                              D
Utupe leo chakula chetu tunachohitaji utusamehe

G                  D
Makosa yetu, hey!  Kama nasi tunavyowasamehe

Em                                            D
Waliotukosea usitutie katika majaribu, lakini

G                 D
Utuokoe, na yule, simama mwehu

G                             C
Baba yetu, yetu (Yesu), uliye

Jina lako litukuzwe.

(x2)

EDIT: Fixed some chords that were off.

xonixs said:
I have to disagree with you there. I think it adds very little to the discussion and its immature. LOL

Good one:cool:

I love this song! It almost brought tears to my eyes the first time i heard it. It is like the perfect song for civ 4. It just makes you think of like human history and how unique and special it really is.

josephstalin said:
Baba Yetu is one of the best examples of polytheistic music ever. That's why it sounds so "epic".
Nice job, by the way!

I'm kind of interested as to how you came to the conclusion that was polytheistic music. Polycultural, perhaps, but certainly not polytheistic by any stretch of the imagination, given that it is the swahili version of a christian prayer.

Either way, it sounds interesting, and captures the aspect of the game well enough. It could have been improved in certain ways here and there, but is good enough for game music.

Oh, and if you like this sort of musical rendition of prayers and such, E Nomine does it quite a bit, in german, and to hardcore darkwave techno. So not quite as neat in an ambient sense, but definitely interesting to listen to.

mjs0 said:
My 5 year old absolutely loves this music. He had me set his computer to play the mp3 all the time and disable in-game music.

Did I mention he is obsessed with the game, dinner conversation between he and my 4 yr old daughter last night revolved around the pros and cons of open borders with Montezuma. (I kid you not!)

I know this sounds sad (and possibly disturbing), but we are finding civ 4 is a great home-schooling tool as they both want to know more about the real world equivalents of everything in the game from the civilizations and technology to the terrain types and resources.

Personally, I don't think that's sad at all! Sounds great :) to me. Anything that gets the kids interested in this sort of thing is a very good thing. And having them interested in Civ says a lot for them and their parents -- in my book anyway.

Grachi said:
I love this song! It almost brought tears to my eyes the first time i heard it. It is like the perfect song for civ 4. It just makes you think of like human history and how unique and special it really is.

Too much african for me...might have been better something in latin or greek, not a sort of tribal language, yuck

Syagrius said:
Too much african for me...might have been better something in latin or greek, not a sort of tribal language, yuck

Ahhh Eurocentrism at its finest :mad: I can't believe a nice thread about song lyrics has devolved into complaints about too much african content and religious barbs.

Syagrius said:

I agree they need to get rid of those nasty tribal languages in the game, (all those Roman soldier speaking the language of the Latin tribes, and the fact that all the game materials, at least in my copy, ar printed in some bizzare degraded hodgepodge of that and the language of some northern Germanic tribes)

Side Note: Swahili is Not a tribal language it extends across much of Africa. Tribal Languages, pretty much by definition are spoken by One tribe, I seriously doubt there's any one on these forums that knows a truly Tribal Language.

The music is great, the words are the biblical text from Aramaic to Greek and Latin if you want to see the original text from Aramaic go here. It's so much different in the original language, same message but a much richer prayer.

http://www.thenazareneway.com/lords_prayer.htm

Really interesting to see how language can change a message, give it a look:)

Though shalt not suffer a poisoner to live, got corrupted into thou shalt not suffer a witch to live;)

Thanks Thunderfall. Don't know what it is but it just does something. Believe it or not I am a Slayer, Metallica fan!

I think if you all notice, this is the Jesus Prayer in the Bible, so the translation must be like this:

CHORUS
Our Father, Jesus, who art
in Heaven. Amen!
Our Father, Jesus
Hallowed be thy name.
(x2)

Give us this day our daily bread,
Forgive us of
our trespasses
As we forgive others
Who tresspass against us
Lead us not into temptation, but
deiver us from Evil, and you are forever and ever!

CHORUS

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done
On Earth as it is in Heaven. (Amen)

CHORUS

Give us this day our daily bread,
Forgive us of
our trespasses
As we forgive others
Who tresspass against us
Lead us not into temptation, but
deiver us from Evil, and you wake from the dead

Our Father, Jesus who art...
Hallowed be thy name.
(x2)

>>>There is a fix in the line: deiver us from Evil, and you wake the dead (?)
>>>Become: deiver us from Evil, and you wake from the dead
>>>It miss: "from" in the "...you wake "from" the dead"

wow. seems people like the song a lot. i really liked it, say, maximum 10 first times game was loading.

Today I think I will fall dead if i hear it again, so much i hate it. must be evil..

The Prayer To Our Father
(in the original Aramaic)

Abwûn
"Oh Thou, from whom the breath of life comes,

d'bwaschmâja
who fills all realms of sound, light and vibration.

Nethkâdasch schmach
May Your light be experienced in my utmost holiest.

Têtê malkuthach.
Your Heavenly Domain approaches.

Nehwê tzevjânach aikâna d'bwaschmâja af b'arha.
Let Your will come true - in the universe (all that vibrates)
just as on earth (that is material and dense).

Hawvlân lachma d'sûnkanân jaomâna.
Give us wisdom (understanding, assistance) for our daily need,

Waschboklân chaubên wachtahên aikâna
daf chnân schwoken l'chaijabên.
detach the fetters of faults that bind us, (karma)
like we let go the guilt of others.

Wela tachlân l'nesjuna
Let us not be lost in superficial things (materialism, common temptations),

ela patzân min bischa.
but let us be freed from that what keeps us off from our true purpose.

Metol dilachie malkutha wahaila wateschbuchta l'ahlâm almîn.
From You comes the all-working will, the lively strength to act,
the song that beautifies all and renews itself from age to age.

Amên.
Sealed in trust, faith and truth.
(I confirm with my entire being)

Actually it should be more like this but I think it's the message and the idea of the song that is important in context with the game. Not the exact original words.

Indeed everytime I hear it in the original text, it makes me think, it is so rich and full of life, it puts the pater noster to shame. If I wasn't so agnostic this is one thing that would bring me back to God, to be honest I'd like to see all the original scriptures in such a rich language. The actual web link just makes you spiritual when it's only message is enlightenment? :goodjob:

and as a physics student all that vibrating stuff just floats my boat.:D

Top Bottom