[GS] Maintenance Costs and Bankruptcy

Let's say you are in a fight for your very survival with another civ. (I know it's the AI, go with me..) Between having to buying some emergency units and paying there maintenance costs you go broken. What is the solution? Perhaps close the amphitheater. (I know it's one gold, go with me...)? Nope, can't do that. Close the temple? I mean if our god was that great would we really be fighting for our lives? Nope, can't do that. The only cure is to disband the army. Of course that just makes the situation worse as no we can't stop them from pillaging or taking our cities.

Won't it make more sense for our infrastructure to close when we go bankrupt? I guess in game terms that would mean they are pillaged?

Secondly, if my temple has a relic or a my theater square has a great work why does it have the same maintenance cost of a empty version? More of your population visiting the relic are not tithing more and paying less taxes - what I see as the maintenance cost of religious buildings. The musicians performing that great work are doing it gratis apparently.

Thirdly, why is the pay of raw military recruits the same as highly promoted veterans? Generals and Admirals work for free. Promotions should increase maintenance and Generals should have a maintenance cost. Also military units you don't pay don't disband. They come look for the money they are owed.

Top Bottom