making an apocalyptic mod.

i have noticed with standard civ AI leaders hey refuse to assign defensive pacts if they are to far behind in tech.
i believe this should be the opposite.
the weaker military should want the stronger more advance military to defend them. especially when they face extinction/genocide.
I feel like sometimes civs are to reluctant to forge the alliances needed to survive.
Not that it's impossible but they in my experience some times would rather die then take your help.
They do excellent at ganging up on opponents and making offensive alliances. I feel there is much diplomatically that can be done for the ai. The ai's need to make smarter decisions and poster themselves better in global politics

i would like ai civs to more focused in what ever they wish to do. this will require more and more balancing between buildings and tiles based on civilization's and policies and more.
I plan to add and expand upon many of civs base concepts eliminating some, and expanding others to the max.

Last edited:
new atoll model.
atoll 1 of 5. perhaps more if i feel like adding more to the game.

atolls will be changed to sea trash. will require minimal effort mostly text changes

Spoiler :

20230314032033_1.jpg
20230314032006_1.jpg

the feature is now more 3 dimensional and contains trash below the water aswell

this version is much better then version one here
Spoiler :
20230306061311_1.jpg

i need the world to look cruddy, dirty, and destroyed.
i have thought about ways to make world look clean/normal again.

everything will go that route. ill add ways to clean the water. ill add ways to plant things, for food and to regrow jungles and forests.
or even the option to disregard fixing the world, it may not help your playstyle to spend your efforts on cleaning when there is waring to be done.

some civs ill make more adapted to the destroyed world and others i make with a focus on cleaning/repairing the world. and others will focus on war.

Last edited:
sea trash tile 1
Spoiler :

20230317060241_1.jpg

sea trash tile 2
Spoiler :

20230317060249_1.jpg

sea trash tile 3
Spoiler :

20230317060221_1.jpg

there is problem with tile 1 it is too 3d too, high to be exact. the trash is appearing on the ship deck when ships pass or stop on the tile.

Spoiler :

20230317061015_1.jpg

here is a more zoomed out landscape view of the trash on the ocean/coast
Spoiler :

20230317061044_1.jpg

so over all how do you think they look so far. do they look like garbage a good way or bad way haha?
does it look like garbage piled up, floating, and /or sunken in the water?

my idea mainly with these is to give players the choice to either use or remove them based on policies/ideologies chosen during the game.
i have an idea for a water based civ that ill give a special improvement to remove the sea trash regardless. but my idea for that civ is they are going to be oceanic eco nuts with the goal to clean and restore the ocean.

i do plan to also make other water based civs i have 1 idea for a pirate civ. giving them the ottoman's prized ship promotion and the 1/3 less maintenance on navy. but when i do get to making/coding civs that wont be enough they will need more abilities/unique building and improvements. as is all standard civs wont work for what I'm doing. each civ needs to be more powerful in its own way.
i want to create drastically different playstyles. i want every civ to have its bonusses and penalties making them as drastically different from one another as i can.
some civs will have a large unit roster some civs will have a very limited roster. some civs will have tons of building some will have less.
i have even thought of removing trade for a few civs. for example all hive civs will not be able to trade. this will help them to feel more animalistic or hive like and more segregated and more self sustaining.
i plan to remove trade for most of the mutant civs. i feel like very few maybe 1 or 2 leaders would be willing to trade the rest would further focus on war to blinded by rage and domination of the enemy due to the multination side effects.

some civs ill have start with various weapons or easy access to them. some civs might start with gun resources through there unique capital some civs wont. some civs will need to trade and search out guns.
i have an idea for a civ to give them access to missiles right away. giving them the resources needed to make them right away but not the tech. this will make them a early game force to be reckoned with once there missiles are operational. which wont take to long i plan to make it a somewhat early tech.

ill have tons of units and weapons available early in the game the main issue will be finding the resources to make them. some civs will start with a small stock pile of weapons some civs will have to get a workers and then improve a resource.
nothing major just some small bonusses and penalties to make each civ feel more unique and different from one another

Last edited:
Sorry every I regret having to inform every one, but some things have come up, and major changes have taken place in my like over the last 2-3 months.
I need to stop giving up your hopes and mine. I'm just lying to myself thinking I might find the time to still do this.

I tried to stay optimistic and think maybe I can find the time to open up blender to make things I can't even find the time to sleep anymore.

Sorry to those who I did not get too.
I would love to Continue doing this but it is just not working out that way for me.

For a few years I have been taking care of a family member with a type of dementia called Alzheimer's and recently a lot has changed you can say almost over night everything has changed.

At one point it was as easy as being there just to help him or clean up behind him and fix the things he does.
Which also gave me some free time. Too much free time actually.
while he was watching TV I could open my laptop and have some fun and get some things made.
now I have to be fully alert all day and all night. Which is very trying.
I wish I was capable of being awake all night and nap all day in few minutes intervals like him but I can't and it sucks.
I am truely sorry I must stop modelling for now. Civ 5 was the reason I learned how to use blender and it took a lot of time to teach it to myself. I am still determined to model for civ 5, but it just can't be any time soon. I will return 1 day when I can.
to those who allowed me to work on models and projects with them, thanks you all for letting me be a part of it.

as for project aftermath it is discontinued untill further notice.

I will be back one day I hope. I can't say when I just don't know.

if I ever do happen to find the time I'll maybe touch up what I do have and have it posted here. But it will be only be the ruin models and ground textures.
the ruin models are still usable but incomplete.

I do want to return to modding one day. One day when I can.

Last edited:
sadly my grandfather is back in the hospital.

but on the bright side of thigs i now have the time to make some progress here on this mod.

i made a few things and touched up a few things i previously made getting it ready for the game.

so here what i have to show for now
some new resources and units mainly fallout

new resources
-brahmin
-geckos
-ammunition factory
-soda factory
-hospital

new units
-vicious dogs
-yaoguai bears
-molerats

Spoiler :

brahmin.jpg
brahmin 2.jpg
gecko camp cn.jpg
gecko camp pl.jpg
gecko camp resource.jpg
20230524234626_1.jpg
yaoguai.jpg

vicious dogs.jpg
molerat.jpg

Last edited:
thanks to the work of the vox populi team and the community patch dll. new natural wonders are possible.
here is the first natural wonder. The Edan Project.
based on the real on in the UK.

i have to icons or text files yet but its being placed when the map is being made WITH NO MOUNTAIN UNDER IT YA!!!!!!!!!!!!
still lots and lots of work to do like tuning placement its pretty random now but i need it to not spawn next to a mountain. and set other stuff.

Spoiler with dll :

20230617105444_1.jpg

Spoiler with out dll :

20230615133728_1.jpg

again this is all thanks to the vox populi team and all the hard work they do.

I will message vox Populi member(s) and ask if I can use their files here

AssignStartingPlots.lua (from vox Populi)

And community patch dll ( from the community patch.

I need to change the assignstartingplots.lua but I also would like to get permission to use these files first.
It is all their hard work.

So hopefully this can be part of the mod.

Last edited:
My grandfather is back out of the hospital and physical rehabilitation.

So I'm back to watch over him for now.

Until further notice I'll be on hiatus again.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to continue working on this.

Until then I can still be active from my phone and give advise for those who ask just tag me in it and I'll get an alert on my phone.

I didn't get as much graphically accomplished as I would have hoped for but some major obstacles have been fixed and/or overcome.

Mainly the new natural wonders placement.
Which is Super epic and needed.

Hopefully I can get in contact with a vox Populi team member and get permission to use and modify their
AssignStartingPlots.lua
file in my mod along with the dll file from the patch.

But when I return I look forward to finally getting to the American and European continent. Doing the ruins and ground decals.

Also some of those resources need some touching up.
Black spots appeared on it that shouldn't be there. Things I need to fix in blender. I couldn't see those mistakes in blender.
But civ 5 doesn't like something about them spots I'll have too see what exactly is wrong and fix it.

I still need more ideas for resources.

Feel free to post your apocalyptic resource ideas here or any idea you might have for an apocalyptic mod.
I will eventually make them into reality

I'm starving for ideas like

Resources
Buildings.
world wonders.
Natural wonders.
Art style themes.
And more.

I'm terrible at coming up with things and ideas. It would speed up the process if people posted ideas of things for me to make.

You can contribute by simply saying what you would like to see in an apocalyptic mod.

i finally settled on the American and European continent ground textures.

also marsh land will now be changed to lava fields. marsh can be added and removed during the game with out reload. :) sounds like fun now that it is lava :)

i also started bringing in some "natural wonders" (I will change it to something else in the text tiles.)
i don't at the moment have the time to make a bunch more but i took a good chunk of what i have already made and brought them in.

thanks to the DLL in the community patch and to adan_eslavo and his work on the Natural wonder for VP mod i have been able to make new natural wonder for the game.
I'm not great at LUA files but through trial and error and referencing his LUA and how he used commands i learned how to make basic lua coding for natural wonder placement and tile changes. im able to create unique and dynamic tike placement and changes for natural wonder I desire. like the statue of liberty having % chances to change the land around it making it very dynamic and cool and always different.

I'm taking full advantage of civ 5 Random layout handler over snapshot making model variants for several wonders.
Random will randomly choose between all models set up as random in the art defines. that is how civ 5 made the atolls different looking from 1 to the next.
the naturals wonder will of coarse be only place 1 time each but every time you start a new game and the map is generated is has a chance to spawn 1 of several variants.

new natural wonders.

opacolypse volcano

set to always spawn marsh/lava feature around it and has 6 model variants it chooses from.
Spoiler :

volc_apoc_3.jpg

volc_apoc_2.jpg
volc_apoc_1.jpg

volcano 2

Spoiler :

volc_2.jpg

pyramids of Giza will be 3 tils big. i only have the basic placement code set up for to change all adjacent land to flat land. soon ill have the coding to place fake models on the 2 other tiles its covering to make it similar to the multi tile wonders in the natural wonders mod for VP

Spoiler :

pyramids_2.jpg
pyramids.jpg

pentagon

Spoiler :

pentagon_2.jpg
pentagon.jpg

forbidden city

Spoiler :

forbidden_1.jpg

cristo redentor or Christ the redeemer

always spawns 1 tile from the ocean adjacent to at least 2 hills and/or mountains surrounded by forests or rural ruins.
Spoiler :

cristo.jpg

Last edited:
statue of liberty. has a very interesting and dynamic way it is placed having a chance to be on land or in the water but is always near jungles or urban ruins as they now are called. it has a 40% chance to form its own harbor along the coast.
it also has 2 model variants.

Spoiler :

liberty 6.jpg
liberty 5.jpg
liberty 4.jpg
liberty 3.jpg
liberty 2.jpg
liberty 1.jpg

saint basils cathedral.

turned out so great i left it as is and didn't destroy it and make it look ruined. i really out did myself on that one i love it.

Spoiler :

cathedral_2.jpg
cathedral_4.jpg
cathedral_3.jpg
cathedral_1.jpg

Last edited:
enjoyed clicking through all your work here, the volcanoes look particularly amazing. Definitely have achieved the apocalyptic look

Have you ever made any scorched/burnt trees? rn i am experimenting with a mod that does wildfires in forests/jungles, but haven't seen any burnt trees models anywhere.

hope things are going alright on your end!

enjoyed clicking through all your work here, the volcanoes look particularly amazing. Definitely have achieved the apocalyptic look

Have you ever made any scorched/burnt trees? rn i am experimenting with a mod that does wildfires in forests/jungles, but haven't seen any burnt trees models anywhere.

hope things are going alright on your end!
I suppose I could make some scorched trees.
I never thought about that.

I'll make them one day and send them over to you

I suppose I could make some scorched trees.
I never thought about that.

I'll make them one day and send them over to you
i'll def make use of 'em when you do! should have the basic mod put together by weekend. I'd implement it as an improvement, if that matters

this photo illustrates a possible "burnt forest" terrain's look really well:
Spoiler :
Tinder-Fire_USFS.jpg

i'll def make use of 'em when you do! should have the basic mod put together by weekend. I'd implement it as an improvement, if that matters

this photo illustrates a possible "burnt forest" terrain's look really well:
It would have to be an improvement.
That game will only place certain terrain and terrain features with out a reload of the game.
Marsh being one that can be placed and removed during the game along with fallout.
The rest won't appear when placed unless the game is reloaded.
I believe that could be fixed in the dll if you know c language but I do not.

It would have to be an improvement.
That game will only place certain terrain and terrain features with out a reload of the game.
Marsh being one that can be placed and removed during the game along with fallout.
The rest won't appear when placed unless the game is reloaded.
I believe that could be fixed in the dll if you know c language but I do not.
yeah this is my understanding as well -- i think it's in the engine beyond the .dll even, not something anyone outside of firaxis can do anything about.

anyway using improvements as stand-ins in otherwise unimproved plots works well enough for my purposes

yeah this is my understanding as well -- i think it's in the engine beyond the .dll even, not something anyone outside of firaxis can do anything about.

using improvements as stand-ins in otherwise unimproved plots works well enough for my purposes, though
Ya probably true. All I know is it's way above my abilities.
I would love to add more temp features

Top Bottom