[NFP] Making Great Works, Writers/Musicians, and cultural Wonders more interesting with theming bonuses

Luxerne

Warlord
The cultural great people are all pretty dull compared to the others (save for Prophets). However, the artists at least have a mini-game with their theming bonuses. Maybe something like that system could be put in place with writing and music.

Here's an idea: Divide writing into Poetry, Drama, and Prose, and then divide music into Compositions (for lack of a better term) and Opera/Songs (also for lack of a better term). The existing writers and musicians in-game already produce a mixture of works from these categories, so there wouldn't necessarily need to be any new lines recorded or MIDI files procured, not that I wouldn't want some new great works in the game after four years! :crazyeye:

Dividing writing and music could also introduce new complications to the great works, like how only Religious art can be placed in Cathedrals, or how only Sculptures give Kongo their Nkisi bonuses.

Here are some ideas:
- Amphitheatres can now hold Opera/Songs, along with Poetry and Drama, but not Prose.
- Libraries gain great work slots, and can hold Prose or Poetry, but not Drama.
- Cultural wonders that had writing or music slots can hold any of the new categories, but get bonuses for having specific types in their slots by introducing the theming system to wonders too, which would make Hermitage somewhat more worth it. Kristina could still have her auto-theming of course, while other civs would just have to work at it.

Bolshoi could get a bonus for having one Drama and one Opera/Song. Hermitage could get a bonus for having one of each type of artwork. Sydney could get a bonus for having all Opera/Song from different musicians. Great Library and Oxford could get bonuses for having Prose from different writers.

Also, we really still need some more early music slots other than Apadana and the Medici bank. Maybe a Concert Hall that is mutually exclusive with the art and archaeological museums, like in the Real Great Musicians mod?

EDIT: Alexander's Hetaroi also suggested that instead of making a new music building exclusive with the museums, we could have a music building (concert hall or opera house) unlocked at Opera and Ballet, exclusive with broadcast towers, with more slots for music, while towers get bonuses for rock bands and tourism in the city.

Last edited:
I'd like to bring the Opera House back from Civ 5 and be available at Opera and Ballet.

I think it makes more sense to make it mutually exclusive to the Broadcast Center. For the Broadcast Center I think the main focus for it could be gaining tourism from Rock Band concerts however it could still keep it's one Great Work slot for Music.

For the Opera House I'd let it have 2 slots for Music with one for Writing.

I'd like to bring the Opera House back from Civ 5 and be available at Opera and Ballet.

I think it makes more sense to make it mutually exclusive to the Broadcast Center. For the Broadcast Center I think the main focus for it could be gaining tourism from Rock Band concerts however it could still keep it's one Great Work slot for Music.

For the Opera House I'd let it have 2 slots for Music with one for Writing.

Yeah, that also sounds good, since I guess making a music building exclusive with the museums would have the same problem as archaeological museums with not being able to actually be filled until the next era, since musicians only begin spawning in Industrial.

Another thing we really need, with theming bonuses, is to just plain add more Artists with a variety of types of art. Only Religious art can actually be themed before the Modern Era (and you can get four themed museums out of Religious art during the Industrial Era), and you can't even theme sculptures until the Atomic Era.

I would like to see the AI pay more attention to theming. I think if we are friends it makes sense that we can trade a painting for a painting; however, if the trade results in me theming a museum and the AI NOT theming a museum, I should pay a premium for the trade.

This is getting a little off topic, but I would also like if you could flag certain things as "unwilling to trade." The AI may have coal or oil show up with that little red icon that says they are unwilling to trade it. If a human player could do that with its themed art and its books, it would save me having to see any reject a lot of trades where the AI trys to give me spices and a dollar for a book, for example.

Top Bottom