making worms

1joe23

Chieftain
Is there any way to make or breed mind worms like at your base or something or do you have to capture them?

Certainly.

All you need is the requisite tech in order to do so.

Worms,
Isle Of Deep,
Locusts

and in SMAX

Fungal Shooters
& Sea Lurks

all are manufacturable they simply need the appropriate tech to be discovered. They are pricey tho' in comparison to conventional units and are not upgradeable as are conventional units. OTOH they have a place throughout the game as they ignore reactor hit points. They do lose some effetiveness though as the game progresses as factions end up with higher morale units and equip same with trance and/or empath ability.

Og

Yes it comes a little later after the ensstial stage of the game where they would be most useful but breeding them is always an excellent plan, especialy when useing gians. Captureing mindworms should always be a fovus when you are playing gians when you send out your scout parties. In later stages use your creatures to stutain field damage to oncoming units while you send yours around to attack their bases. :)

Locusts of Chiron do not get used much in smac, but in smac-x it is too expensive to amor aircraft. The LoC has got offense and defen defense and can hover. Also it needs no support when parked over fungus. It is slow, however.

Locusts often find a use in capturing sea bases in a chop and drop alternative as well.

You can build mind worms, locusts of chiron (among the strongest units in the game), and isles of the deep.

To make them worthwile, try installing Morale (Boil weight) and Breeding facilities and secret projects.

There seems to be a limit to the number of mindworms I can capture. Up to a certain point of the game all capture attempts fail even though my planet rating is 2 or 3. I get messages like "our PSI talents think there is some new force causing our capture attempts to fail."

In response to the topic of the thread I think it's just better to capture mindworms than to create them. I was once able to capture a pile of 8 mindworms in one swoop!

Top Bottom