[MAP] Ozzy's America - More Accurate Start

I felt two cities gave better game play. The north east is a little crowded but I hate to leave New Amsterdam out so giving them a city in the carribean adds to balance. Also England really had two strong colonial starts in Jamestown and Plymoth both founded for different reasons.

I used Jamestown, but I created Boston with my starting ship.

I gave the Dutch... Aruba
Portuguese... Sao Paulo,
Spain... Santo Domingo.

I usually try to 4 cities on the East coast and build New Orleans. If you start with 2 cities plus the starting units... thats alot of cities right after 1492... although if the year was changed to 1550..

How is that working for you as far as getting the spanish and the dutch to found new cites on the main land? I've found that the AI expands better from cities on the main land so England, France and Portugal seem to leave the others behind. Also the Hudson River valley was probably the most sucessful dutch colony so I hate to leave that out maybe just for sentimental reasons.

Well, the dutch are more ambitious going from Island to mainland. the spanish like Hispanola. France expands okay. I saw France lose a city to the Iroquois once. The Portuguese have had success and failure with the natives.

Spain will explore and trade but on the enlarged Hispanola they tried putting in 2-3 cities (depending on configuation). I haven't seen them put down roots on the mainland yet.

The Dutch have been the biggest pain in the rear so far. The get founding fathers fast and often, but I have found the key to getting Minuet by around turn 85. I have resorted to buying my ships after Minuet and buying a Privateer to slow them down. In my last test game, I siezed something like 900 horses on three successful interceptions.

Just as warning...

if using this map with version 1.01, be warned that on marathon growth rate has been changed from 300 to 600% and this has some nutty effects. I'd advise changing it back to 300%.

example at 500% to chop and irragate a grassland tile will take 80 turns. I would hate to see it at the full 600%. And it would take 1200 food instead of 600 to to increase pop.

This one is great with all the starting positions but I have the problem, that the KI dont settle down!?!
I tried it 3 times with different civ´s and they are just shipping around and dont build any city?
To what does this belong to?

That is a problem with the game itself. Supposedly the PatchMod fixes it. Or helps to fix it at least. Dale hasn't included that fix into his Age of Discovery mod yet.

So since people want a fix to that and want a non-AoD game, I've created a version of the map that works with the PatchMod. I've checked it out and it works fine with the newest version (1.06).

Enjoy:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10979

So since people want a fix to that and want a non-AoD game, I've created a version of the map that works with the PatchMod. I've checked it out and it works fine with the newest version (1.06).

Thanks a bunch for the new version! I'll have to check it out ;)

Hey Ozzy, with the AoDII version unless you want random indians, goods and start locs you shouldn't place the plot(0,0) key. :)

I've attached the fixed map without the key, and it functions beautifully in AoDII 1.01. I'll publish it in the PublicMaps of AoDII from now on if you don't mind. :)

As an aside, I don't really like this map layout as there's no easy way into the Pacific. You have to place a city at Panama and sail through it. But that's just my opinion. :)

Great map ozzy. But one question. Why can I only choose one of the leaders of the nations? All other maps got 2 on each. :S

Hey Dale,

"Hey Ozzy, with the AoDII version unless you want random indians, goods and start locs you shouldn't place the plot(0,0) key. "

Could you explain how this works?

Hey Ozzy, with the AoDII version unless you want random indians, goods and start locs you shouldn't place the plot(0,0) key. :)

I've attached the fixed map without the key, and it functions beautifully in AoDII 1.01. I'll publish it in the PublicMaps of AoDII from now on if you don't mind. :)

As an aside, I don't really like this map layout as there's no easy way into the Pacific. You have to place a city at Panama and sail through it. But that's just my opinion. :)

Oh, that's odd. It works just fine for me. The resources and huts are randomized (as they should be) and the start locations and indians are pre-placed on the map. How does it show up for you? And others?

And I'm happy to have you include it with AoDII. I can work on a version with that extends South America to the cape. I just used a map someone else made and customized it. So while I adjusted the tiles I didn't (m)any adjustments to the land itself.

Then again, once you add Russia and China to your mod having no access between oceans in the south might make Panama an interesting strategic point to fight over from all directions.

Great map ozzy. But one question. Why can I only choose one of the leaders of the nations? All other maps got 2 on each. :S

Yea... I don't know how to set that up in a map. I'm sure there is a fancy way of doing it, perhaps Dale can suggest a way. For now though if you want to play as a different leader you will need to swap out their name in the world builder file.

Ah crap, sorry about that. I realized that mistake myself and fixed it, but haven't released the new version yet..

I've got good news and badnews for you. Good news is you can go into the world builder, save the game, open that save file in a text editor and change "MaxTurns=300" to "MaxTurns=" or "MaxTurns=0" I forget which. Then play that game and you'll have the expected number of turns to finish the game.

The BAD news is that all the goods in all your cities will be erased. All your political, exploration, military, etc points will be erased. The info on Indian cities (what they train, what goods they want) is reset/erased. There may be a few more things too, but those are the major problems.

All your cities, buildings, and units should be ok though. So... it is your call. I'll try to get a new version up tonight.

Did you fix this? Because for some reason i get this 99 turns left after 200 turns on marathon.

Thank you for your mod Ozzy, it's exactly what I was looking for! It was a pity to see France in Argentina, Holland in Brazil and that kind of stuff.
But for some unknown reason I can only choose one leader for each nation instead of two when I play with your map :confused: . Do you know how can I solve the problem?

Did you fix this? Because for some reason i get this 99 turns left after 200 turns on marathon.

Oops! Thanks for reminding me. I've just fixed both the maps now.

You'll need to go back and download them again. Sorry. :(

Thank you for your mod Ozzy, it's exactly what I was looking for! It was a pity to see France in Argentina, Holland in Brazil and that kind of stuff.
But for some unknown reason I can only choose one leader for each nation instead of two when I play with your map :confused: . Do you know how can I solve the problem?

Ok, again, pending a fancy solution from Dale or someone, here is an interim solution to get you guys by.

1. Open up the map in a text editor (like Notepad).
2. Do a "find" (ctrl + f) for "BeginPlayer"
3. You'll see a list of all the leaders in the game. Find the one you want to change.
4. Find the lines that say something like:
LeaderType=LEADER_ADAMS
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_ADAMS

5. Change that to any of the following leaders:

LeaderType=LEADER_WASHINGTON
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_WASHINGTON

LeaderType=LEADER_ADAMS
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_ADAMS

LeaderType=LEADER_CHAMPLAIN
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_CHAMPLAIN

LeaderType=LEADER_FRONTENAC
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_FRONTENAC

LeaderType=LEADER_BOLIVAR
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_BOLIVAR

LeaderType=LEADER_SAN_MARTIN
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_SAN_MARTIN

LeaderType=LEADER_DONCK
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_DONCK

LeaderType=LEADER_STUYVESANT
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_STUYVESANT

6. Save the file, then play. :)

Ok, again, pending a fancy solution from Dale or someone, here is an interim solution to get you guys by.

I've been asking Firaxis for the ability to do this in WBS files since vanilla Civ4. :(

I think something is wrong with the starting pos. I have tried 20 different games now with your newest version. But "All" of us seem to want to play in only north america. Even spanish. I think you need to make a version were there is a couple starting pos. near each continent. And maybe all nations can start in all positions randomly. At this point spanish is starting way out in a "goto europe" zone. And the other nations also land on same spots every time. During my 20 tries dutch france and england started their cities on same spot. Spanish was a bit slow. They come up to us after 20 turns or something. It does not seem like they got a head start at all i am sorry to say. I would prob. place them closer to the islands north of south america.

Top Bottom