[Map Script] Random Map Script v4

Adam7Eight

Emperor
UPDATE 11-10-06

Random Map Script v5 Final

Since the release of Warlords, a needed patch, and some great mods, I decided to return to Civ4 after a long break and update this little script. It's still mostly the same as before, but I've changed the filename thanks to MATT:) C's request to fix the issue with the "Top Civs" screen not showing properly. It is now fully functional, bug free and compatible with Warlords 2.08 and most mods.

It's not as advanced as some other scripts, but if you're looking for classic Civ3 random map generation then look no further. :)

History Info:
Spoiler :
For those who have followed my previous thread for a random map option I have continued working on my script a bit more. I thought v3 would be my final one but over the past couple of weeks I have decided to make some changes. I also figured it would be a better idea to start a new thread and place it here in the maps forums as this isn't really a mod. For those who need more info you can still see the old thread here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=143597

Hopefully this will be the last version. Anyways, I have removed the chance for tiny islands as I really dislike them. I also removed the max sea level size I had in previous versions. It's more interesting if you happen to play with more than the default number of civs on a particular map size and a high sea level is generated. Over the past couple of weeks I've been noticing a problem with mountain peeks splitting an archipelago island in two, making the other side unexplorable until Sailing is reasearched. I have included a fix for that. Mountain peeks should no longer be a problem on archipelago map types.

Installation: The rar file contains only the lowrandom.py map script. Unzip the file directly into your "C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\PublicMaps folder or your "C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents\My Games\Warlords\PublicMaps folder.

It could also be put into a Mod's "PublicMaps" folder if you wish to use this with a mod. However, I do not gaurantee compatibility.

To use: Go to "Custom Game" and select "lowRandom" from the Map pull-down menu and you're all set.

Download: Random Map Script v5 Final

Oh, much obliged! :thanx:
I couldn't stand those stupid tiny island maps.

Low, I've always thought this was a great mod, not only in its simplicity (to install) but the fact that this option wasn't included. I don't get the same map-type twice and that is part of the fun, trying to work out what type of map you are playing on.

Hi low, (hehe)

I've been wanting a random map option but didn't know there was one until thunderfall put it on the front page.

It works great. i've only used it once and got a combination of large continents and some archipelago land masses.

Any thought about expanding it to allow the user to choose their own subset of possible map types? Just a thought. i don't know how easy/difficult that would be.

Great job! i'll be using it every time now.

cintorix said:
Any thought about expanding it to allow the user to choose their own subset of possible map types? Just a thought. i don't know how easy/difficult that would be.

Great job! i'll be using it every time now.

Thanks.

If I'm understanding your question right - It use to have a selectable landmass type option with more to choose from than "random", but I removed them for simplicity and the fact that leaving those options in kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a random map script in the first place. If you want a random map of a particular map/landmass type then you might as well just stick with the default continent, pangaea, and archipelago map scripts that came with the game.

This map script is like a box of chocolates...

:p

I struggled with the wording of that but obviously i didn't nail it. I was going for brevity...

With this you're going to get classic Pangaea, Continent, or Archipelago maps (ala Civ3) and that's it. No terra's, inlands, highlands, lakes, plains or anything in between (at least I hope not ).

This is your subset, which is mostly the same as mine except i would have added lakes. Then i thought the best option for everyone would be if they could create their own subset.

Is that difficult? Or, if i had a python iditor would it just be a matter of adding one word to the list? :rolleyes:

Ahh, gotcha. Sorry.

I only included those three because they are the classic map styles that we all had in Civ 3. Many people mentioned frustration not having a random option which would choose specifically between those map types, along with myself, and that is why I went with those types only. IMO, the other ones are what I would call "specialty" maps, and I really couldn't classify them as "real-world" map types, maybe with the exception of the terra map.

To answer your question though, I'm not entirely sure, but adding just a word or two to Python isn't going to do it. A lot of code would have to be added to pull that off. I can't say I've ever really thought of doing that. It could probably be done with just a bit of cutting and pasting from the other map scripts. I can't say I will do it, but I'll certainly look into it.

Well, if its doable then great, if not, you've already made the game much better. Like a lot of people say, not knowing what kind of map we're on is part of the challenge.

Later...

I am going to try this out RIGHT NOW with Sevomod.

Thanx for all the hard work.

-=R=-

The Rusty Gamer said:
I get an error message when I have that script in "public maps". If it is there before I run the game, the game fails complete intitalisation. If I "sneak" it in by switching windows after starting the game, it says it cannot read the python script. Anyone else getting this problem?

I have never encountered that problem, nor have I heard of it. What exactly does the error say?

Sorry for the late reply.

I really can't begin to tell you what the problem may be. Sounds like an odd one-off problem. For what it's worth, this script is error free so your problems have to be originating somewhere else. Sorry I can't be more help. I've never dealt with hexadecimal errors.

This is by far my favorite mod for civ4, but if you are considering doing more for it ;) I'd love to have Terra maps included. I would love the possiblity of discovering the "new world" without the foreknowledge that the "new world" exists.

Ktulu said:
This is by far my favorite mod for civ4, but if you are considering doing more for it ;) I'd love to have Terra maps included. I would love the possiblity of discovering the "new world" without the foreknowledge that the "new world" exists.

It's possible. I'd probably just make a script seperate from this one for those that wanted the extra Terra option because most don't, including myself.

If I decide to make it it won't be anytime soon. I've spent the last two weeks and counting overhauling the game with my own mod.

Firstly, thanks for a useful little script - it's good for killing time with a completely random quick game!

I've noticed that it caused problems with the "Top Civs" screen - i.e. the one where an historian lists the most powerful/wealthy/largest civ. Taking a closer look, I think there's a naming conflict bwteen this script and the standard Python random module such that Civ4 gets the two confused.

You can work around this by simply renaming the file name of the map script to something other than "random.py" - I've used "low_random.py" which seems to have done the trick.

MC

MATT:-) C said:
Firstly, thanks for a useful little script - it's good for killing time with a completely random quick game!

I've noticed that it caused problems with the "Top Civs" screen - i.e. the one where an historian lists the most powerful/wealthy/largest civ. Taking a closer look, I think there's a naming conflict bwteen this script and the standard Python random module such that Civ4 gets the two confused.

You can work around this by simply renaming the file name of the map script to something other than "random.py" - I've used "low_random.py" which seems to have done the trick.

MC

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been paying much attention to the forums since I've halted my play of Civ4 a couple of months ago. I don't even have the game anymore. :p

Anyways, I never noticed it, since I always turned all the pop-ups off. Good find though. Quick fix. :goodjob:

Top Bottom