Map Scripts and food resource scarcity

King Victor I

Chieftain
Hi, everyone. Just recently found the new and improved version of this mod and have been playing around a bit with it.

I've been trying to generate a map that meets my criteria, but so far I haven't been able to quite get it.
There are certain things that only affect cities on the same landmass, so I play pangaeas. The Planet Generator set with 1 continent and snaky land shape works great for me, except that there are very few meat/grain/seafood resources. Typically on a huge map there are maybe 4-6 places in the entire world where a city could build more than one of butchery/quern/fishtraps, and I want more.
SmartMap has an option for making more nonstrategic, nonhappy resources, which would include food, but even when I choose land shape: least round, no fragments, the continent is a near-perfect circle surrounded by little islands.

I could manually go into world builder and alter, but then I'd know the shape of the map before exploring. I prefer to only use world builder to look at the terrain near my start spot, move my initial settler to where I want my capitol (without scrolling around) and then start.

Do any of you wise and more tech-minded folks have any suggestions?

edit: If I note an error in the sevopedia, like where fur is not listed as allowing furrier, where do I mention it?

Last edited:
I guess what I need to do is learn enough Python to modify the map scripts. Is there a tutorial for that?

I don't really know much about the map scripts.

One thing you could try is adding <iMinimumPerWorld> to the resources you want to ensure in Assets\XML\Terrain\CIV4BonusInfos.xml. This is supposed to ensure that a certain number of these tiles show up on the map. It's currently only done for strategic resources, but the XML should work with any wild resource. Crafted resources can't be placed during generation, so that doesn't matter.

Top Bottom