[Map] ZomgErebus: Huge map, 25 civs, Fall Further required.

Good points, Psychic_Llamas, will do. Maybe I will change Kuriotates' Horses to marble.

And I already spiced some places with additional rivers.

Don't want to publish current version, too few changes - need more feedback :)

The Malakim have no health resources at all and minimal happiness resources (only ivory and incense, which doesn't do anything at all without a temple and philosophy tech). With all those flood plains, they're going to be unhappy and unhealthy -really- fast. It's no wonder they got pounded by the Svarts in my first game so early, as the Svarts have deer, pigs, dyes, and cotton, plus the inherent forest health bonus.

The Bannor are in a similar position - they have one unit of deer and that's it for health resources, and the only happiness resource they have is incense. In my mind, incense really isn't worth all that much early on, as you need both a temple and philosophy for it to do anything, even after you get a plantation and a route. Maybe they need some other resource that gives happiness sooner?

Yeah, same thing is with Amurites. Though in my last game Malakim were pretty fine. Will provide them and Bannor with some wine or something.

Edit: oh, and Malakim do have some corn, I believe they had it for a while!

Map updated.

- Some tinkering with resources in some starting locations, based on feedback. Almost all ideas are implemented, except probably Kuriotates - their centaurs would be very sad if horses leave.

- Some rivers placed in various places.

- Minor bugs removed.

- Few landmarks added.

It's not much, of course, but map is pretty finished as it is - only some polishing required.

oof, I made it to turn 201 but the load times between turns is roughly 2 mins and there's so much lag. I'ma try turning off high settings since this is the first time I've done good as an evil race :D

Also a note: Balspherians founded AV and Kurotates founded Order, oh well at least the alignment's right. What went really awry though was the Luichurp turning evil from first switching to OO then to AV. I guess the war with Khazad had something to do with it (which they seem to be in in every game I play)

Second Notice: Heh, Eloim went nuetral because of OO. Also took down a pit biest from a lair before it caused 3 AI's to be taken out.

I was eager to try this map, but I noticed that even in the very early game (first 10 turns) there is a bit of an abnormal time between turns. It is intermittent, in that there is a large pause between turns once, then the next few goes quickly. My machine's pretty average for these days: Core2 Duo, 3gig ram, so it's not like I'm running on a 386.

Are slowdowns normal for such huge maps? I haven't even finished exploring my continent, but I'm rather put off finishing the game given what these slowdowns will mean once at late game. I imagine lowering the graphics won't make a difference, since 90% of the map is still uncovered. Are there any tweaks I can put in to help, or will I just have to suck it up and deal with the lag between turns if I want to play such a big map?

the slowdown is (as far as i know) because all the AI players are settling cities, picking research paths etc. all at the same time, namely the first turn.

Played it for a bit and I must say Im pretty impressed :D Havent gotten far since it's a huge map and my computer isn't that good so I have long waiting times between turns. But all in all well worth downloading it ;)

Yea, the slow down is because of the 24 ai's O.o

Also, my game ended ubruptly when my cpu overheated xD

Oh well, I do love the map though.

Yeah, slow-downs are pretty inavoidable with 24 AI players at the same time. Can't say I am not annoyed by them myself. My preferred solution: Civilization in window mode with this forum (or something else) in browser opened. End turn - read stuff, end turn - read stuff. No one is really pushing you to end this game quickly :)

Glad you like it. If I may ask, please share your stories. Which races did you played with, what AI wars happened and all that stuff. While this map's primary purpose was to provide lore-themed epic gameplay, I don't mind to bring better balance between races in general.

I recently finished this map through an Altar victory with the Kuriotates. Didn't really pay much attention to what happened outside my little island, because I'd already decided to play a defensive game, and the kuriotates were perfect for that, especially because I was never attacked, due to the AI not understanding naval warfare very well.
One thing I did notice, though, was that in the early game, the Clan was completely conquered by the Hippus, leading them to being the scorer throughout the whole game, and apparently gave them so much excess research that they founded Empyrean, and became leader of the Overcouncil, also until the end of the game.
One other thing that I noticed, but wasn't surprised about, was that Khazad conquered most of Luchuirp, but that's been happening in every single game I've played that they both were in, scenario or not. Guess they just don't like each other.

My Sidar game had the Khazad conquering the Luchuirp too. Also, the Hippus conquered the Bannor instead.

My Sidar game had the Khazad conquering the Luchuirp too. Also, the Hippus conquered the Bannor instead.
Guess it's just a matter of who's pissing the Hippus off the least :p

Was it really necessary to include the Fall Further civilizations? Like did you look at the list of FFH civs and think "you know what? If I make a map with all these, it just won't be big enough," so figured you'd go for six more?

It looks like a cool map, I just can't imagine any time that I'd actually play on one so huge. This game is enough of a system hog as is.

I do like the map, but my system is also quite capable of handling it, although towards the end I have had load times between turns between 30-45 seconds.
My biggest problem with these huge maps is that it seems a herculean task to win through conquest. But for me the game isn't about winning anyway.

Was it really necessary to include the Fall Further civilizations? Like did you look at the list of FFH civs and think "you know what? If I make a map with all these, it just won't be big enough," so figured you'd go for six more?

Something like that. I decided "If I am going to do an epic map with all civilizations, I have to include ALL civilizations."

First version of this map was without FF. It is not available - deleted due to lore contradictions I wasn't familiar while I created it. Don't remember which ones, but no matter now anyway. And resources allocation sucked at that moment, well - it was my first Civilization IV map, doomed to fail :)

I didn't wanted to complete exactly the same job, so I decided to include six more to keep myself more entertained while doing this map.

Oh, and by the way: it seems that even I will delete FF races from this map, it won't work with vanilla FfH. At least feedback on my another map says so, even without FF races it is just not really compatible.

Unfortunately, I am not interested in compromise on this issue: either use FF, or you can't play this map. Sorry for inconvenience :)

I love this map. My latest game as the Cualli has been very fun. The Amurites seem to always have a tough time of things though. Being stuck between the two militaristic civs means usually means they get tag teamed. However, the rest of the civs seem to be mixing up who conquers and who does the conquering.

The Illians are the score leaders right now, followed by the Kuriotates and then myself. Cardith Lorda is very effective with his cottage spamming strategy now and his island is really ideal for spreading out his cities, even the AI is doing it right. He founded, FoL, Order and Emp in this game.

The Svart seem to be getting owned by the Ljolsalfar, and the Balseraph were the victims of a surprisingly effective warrior rush by the Luchuirp. Maybe it's because I'm playing with Aggressive AI turned on.

Oh, the Sheaim and the Calabim are getting pounded by the Khadi, it's very amusing.

When I played as Amurites, I've noticed that they do have hard times. That is why in officially published version of the map they have so convienently placed hill between the mountains, ideal place for defensive city or at least a fort.

Then concentrate on expansion towards the Hippus - maintaining good relations with them. It is much more realistic than to get good relations with Doviello.

This piece of land between Kylorin Mountains and the Great Lakeway, taking some part of Lakeway itself, preferably - is quite enough to live and prosper.

Unfortunately AI does not seem to grasp this concept, ignoring that wonderful little bottleneck hill and lagging with expansion towards Hippus.

Never saw Kahdi pounded someone, they always were obliterated by Sheaim and/or Calabim :)

Nice to hear about Luchuirp, statistically they had tendencies to lose either to their Khazad brethren or to Balseraphs.

My amurites game is going well. My system is fairly new and doesnt have a problem handling games this size.

The bannor are getting stomped into the ground though, only alive because I keep trading stuff to have others make peace with them, looks like they wont be growing fast enough to counter the hippus though so I'll probably abandon them.

I managed to get cities in the pass and the lakeway so defensively Im pretty well set, just working towards sorcery and then I'll gear up to take out the hippus.

Top Bottom