[Map] ZomgErebus: Huge map, 25 civs, Fall Further required.

Zomgmeister

Emerged Lurker
Greetings everyone! Let's get to the business.

This is my version of Erebus. I know that there is no official map, and that is good. This map is by no means pretending to be official. Especially because it includes Fall Further modmod Civilizations, non-canon as far as I understand. Nevertheless, for me this is Erebus as I imagine it. Probably someone else would like it for change.

Features and concepts of this map:​

- All races and Unique World features included.

- Designed as close to Lore as I could manage to. Examples: Illians, Doviello and Amurites are close neighbors, and their part of map reminds of Age of Ice scenario in layout. Bannor and Clan of Embers are neighbors, while Chislev is somewhere in the way - they were ravaged by orcs in their history, and it is shown on the map. Both elves and both dwarves are close. Lanun are on the island. Sidar are well-hidden, et cetera - I've read several topics about this stuff, and tried to create a believable world.

Note: as a matter of fact, I can't be named lore expert or something, because I stumbled upon FfH just about a week ago. Nevertheless, I've been hooked and tried as best as I could. If anyone will find some Lore failure in this map, please don't hestitate to inform me - I will try to be more careful in future versions.

- Huge trade possibilities. Resources are condensed in various locations. If you have sheeps, you don't have neither pigs nor cows. Heck, you don't even have corn, wheat and rice! But you probably do have more than one sheep. And you definitely do have something in abundance, be it copper, banana, sheut stone or gunpowder. It is impossible to get all resources in your zone of control without being close to domination victory.

- Balanced start locations. I can't promise that they are mathematically balanced in all aspects, but all of them seem pretty viable, and no one of them seem overpowered. Starting fat crosses are best places in the world resource-wise, but they are all similar - no more than 4 resources of different kinds, always one primitive food (seafood/farm food/pasture food/deer), et cetera.

Note: I would like to have opinions about starting locations from more experienced civilization players with number-crunching skills, because I want this map to be balanced and viable for any Civilization, without overpowered and underpowered ones.

- Unique-themed terrain. Frankly speaking, it was more important to me than balance. I tried to make it so that each and every piece of the world was more or less unique, stylized in theme of local Civilization. You will discern even tundra's of Illians and Doviello - they are pretty different. Jolly but slightly melancholic Elohim lakeside, Cult of Embers' burned jungle, creepy circular-patterned broken land of Sheim, plains of Hippus and long treeless hills of Grigori - they all are extremely different. Of course, jungle is jungle and grass is grass, but I tried to maintain some style even in two (three, actually) close elven forests.

- Bonus Feature: Landmarks. Don't know about you, but it seems pretty bland without landmarks. I personally do like to build my mighty cities in Land of Hermits, to sail through Danalin Ocean and to be afraid of Balseraphs beyond the Sea of Nightmares. Again, I tried to follow Lore in this one.

After quite a while I didn't got any negative feedback about landmarks, so there will be only landmarked version from now on.

Note: I welcome ideas on naming different parts of the world, it is always kinda difficult for me.

Current Version 1.08061001​

So, without further ado - download it, play it and tell me what do you think!

Attachments

• ZE-02.jpg
    ZE-02.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,412
  • ZomgErebus.rar
    43.8 KB · Views: 807
Oooh! I have to try this! Thanks for making it! (Pre-Made Lore Maps tickle me in a good way :p)

Azure-Dreamer, good to know, will try to reshape eastern parts of the world in next edition that way!

Attention, new version!​

- One mountain tile was converted to hills. Previously Sidar were mountain-locked, and it wasn't intentional.

- In first archive there were two versions of the same map without landmarks. Now all is correct, "no landmarks" is no landmarks, and default "ZomgErebus" is shipped with additional flavour.

- First post corrected, I forgot to add information about terrain uniqueness.

Edit: Psychic_Llamas, I probably deleted the file to update it with new version. Feel free to try again, all seems fine.

One question I have; the villages... Are they supposed to give those Techs? Because it seems that every third one I find gives me a new tech (and I am never that lucky. Ever.)

Damn lucky! I playtested beginning of this map loads of times, and I never had more than one technology from all these 5 huts per Civilization :)

Yeah, it is balanced in huts this way, unless I screwed it somewhere by miscalculating or something.

Really? I was playing Luchuirp and so far I have found Knowledge of Ether and Philosophy and Mysticism..

At least I am fairly certain that I have no idea how to change huts' "behavior" that way, making them so generous tech-wise.

This is my second Civilization IV map, first one was similar but worse in lore aspect (and without Fall Further Civilizations), and I started "modding" (as in map-drawing, nothing more) only about a week ago.

So it behaves exactly as it should in any common map under FfH+FF mod. I think.

Darn, new version of map already! :cringe:
I played about 200 turns with the Archos on the old version & progress ran very good; nice placement of the ressources, esp. the nifty titbits like Mushrooms, Ancient Forests & extra fruits of Yggdrasil. Though the snakepillar in the FC transformed to a ricefarm right after the first turn, due to lack of hellterrain, dunno if that was intended, but Mother said ty! :D

I also was wondering about the unique landmarks & thought they were forgotten, until I found Yggdrasil.
Now i need to start anew, Sidar being mountainlocked surely is annoying & everything went so well with the last game, got a Great Prophet per event pretty much early in the game, together with the ricefarm I had a brilliant start!

Btw, Luchuirp & Chislev got annihilated quite soon, dunno by whom or what.
Good work on the map!

Edit: Uh forgot to mention, the initial babyspider starts without HN!

Ignore new version, you can fix it in your game by opening mountains between Khazad and Sidar, that's all. It is not intended that Sidar are unreachable by Khazad via land route, and vice-versa. In all other aspects that first published version seems okay.

Glad that you like it!

Hehe, didn't knew about snake pillars -> ricefarms :) Will erase them then, they were put just for flavour.

In my Amurites game Luchiurp were annihilated by Khazad pretty early. Weird, seems I need to buff their starting location if someone else will report sudden annihilation. On the other hand, Chislev at the moment is major power, terrorizing both Bannor and Hippus, so I believe they are fine.

Sheaim killed Kahdi recently, it wasn't even close to start, but if any of you will encounter this pattern (or some other pattern like Civ A always/almost always kills Civ B), please post in this thread. I will fix that stuff.

New version of map won't be published right away, because I want some more feedback!

Already implemented features:

- Removal of Snake Pillars;

- Luchiurp starting location removed for about 5 tiles to north-east. Now they do start not as close to Khazad, but a bit closer to Balseraphs. Resources and tribal villages rearranged accordingly.

Possible features:

- Possible rearrangement of Dural somewhere closer to Bannor / Clan of Embers. I am not entirely sure how to do this, because I don't want to reshape Kuriotates-Grigory-Clan territory too much.

By the way, what do you think about landmarks? Should I stick to them, ditch them completely or keep both versions of map?

I'm gonna try this right away. Looks interesting =) I'll be back after 100 or 200 turns with feedback (200 if I like it =p)

The landmarks are fun and an interesting add in. If anything I would ask for more >_> Though, I am curious, how do you make them?

Ctrl+W - World Editor. Top left button - landmarks.
Also you can put them in game by pressing Alt+S if I'm not mistaken.

I am accepting names of landmarks! Of course, they should be well-fitted in lore. Not "Niagara" or "Happy Pony Land". Best thing is that you will say not only name, but point on the map where do you want to put a landmark. Something like "Meadows of Amathaon" sounds not bad in my opinion, but where are they?

"Pointing on the map" can be performed on words. "That south-western coast tip near Khazad, pointing to Kahdi land" is quite precise.

I just tried the Kuriotates, and was puzzled by the starting location. It seems I have to choose between having a coastal capital with access to only 1 hill, or simply moving a bit south to gain more hills, but no longer being coastal. Is that intended?

Regarding the Snakepillars:
I havent open up the map in WB yet, cause I dont wanna spoil the experience for me, but since u said u discovered FFH only a week ago, theres quite much to know about.
So just in case, u dont already know; when Hyborem shows up & the hellterrain gains slowly control over the country, all the variety of "normal" ressources converts into the four: Snakepillars, Toads, Razorweed & Sheut Stones, it makes no sense to place these in nonhellterrain.
Mushrooms, Penguins & Volcanos are from an event, Fruits of Yggdrasil stay with the tree only & Scrubs intentionally were meant for scenarios, but since this is a scenario, I think ure free to place some of those above mentioned.

Regarding Landmarks, I think they add to flavour, some ppl like to play lorewise, & if one mark hinders the view, one can always delete it.

Edit01: Oh right, I almost forgot: Since ure planning for FallFurther with implemented Mardoks Mod; I havent seen any barrows or ruins for the Archos towards the elven territory. I say there's at least room for two of them. Sure some discoverings might b devastating for two til four of the AIs, but 25 Civs on the whole huge map slows down every aspect anyway, even on highend PCs! My suggestion: place at least one of those barrows/ruins between/near each civ, with the new patch "E" from FFH, the AI should b more in the defensive anyway!

Morni, nope, it wasn't intended. Probably I was too tired when tried to draw their cute little island. Their capital place is planned to be mostly lowlands, but not *one* hill. Thanks for noticing, will change this.

Aye, I know basics about Hyborem, but Razorweed & Sheut Stones do seem to work as common resources, worked by plantation and quarry respectively. At least Sheut Stones, my Amurites enjoy three quarries of them. While these two are temathically belong to Hell, I probably will left them in game because I need enough goods to distribute between civilizations. Though goods distribution probably will be reworked.

Oi, Penguins! I forgot about them. They were in first version of map, which is deleted now. Nice little creatures, not overpowering bonus - what could be better?

About barrows and ruins: in first version I was generous on them, putting some here, several there, with additional animal dens. When my generosity was combined with fog of war barbarian random spawn, it became... interesting. And a bit too raging for defalt regime. Will try to add few selected barbarian dwellings.

Seems no one is against landmarks, next version still will be in two files, if trend will continue - I will discard "no landmarks" one.

Thanks for playtesting and feedback, folks! :)

Top Bottom