1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Marines

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by sam44hill, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Johnpecan

Johnpecan Warlord

Sidenote: I have thought a lot about this and I think it would be a great addition to Civ5. Just have variable money for upgrades.
    For example, a warrior could theoretically upgrade to any non-horsemen line melee unit (spearmen, pikemen, swordsman, longswordsman etc) it would just cost more gold for bigger upgrades or even cost more gold to cross genres (aka spearmen to longswordsman) etc.. That way when you get to marines, you can upgrade some of your great war infantry to marines and have a more specialized upgraded army.

Edit: This might not be what you had in mind, but it's somewhat related!

2. Sturmgewher88mm

Sturmgewher88mm Kaiser

That's actuallty how it was in Civ IV; warrior could go either spearman or swordsman, and once you have mech infantry you could upgrade a warrior to one for a ton of gold off the bat.

3. brindle

brindle Chieftain

they should have never let ships conquer cities (or at least cities > size 3). made marine useless.

4. sam44hill

sam44hill Always go for the Kill

I do miss the multiple options for upgrading. I, too, feel Civ V would benefit from this mechanic.

5. georgie

georgie Warlord

I'd rather have a single unit useless than almost all naval units.

Thanks!

6. Polisurgist

Polisurgist King

You do both know that units can attack units, right?

7. georgie

georgie Warlord

:lol: yes, I do. I just never used naval when it was all ranged.

8. Vidszhite

Vidszhite Prince

The civilopedia even says they're stronger, when they're not, so I think they're meant to be stronger... and aren't.

9. Barghaest

Barghaest King

I believe that's because they were originally stronger when first introduced, but there's been a good deal of adjustments/additions of units since then and they became weaker and the Civilopedia entry wasn't changed (much like the entry for Harbors still stating they add production for Sea Resources when they don't anymore).