Meet the new Firaxis Games Community Manager

I don't know much about the corporate world. Does community manager mean the same thing as PR?

Actually, no. PR is entirely separate; they deal with journalists and media.

Community Manager means I deal with fine folks such as yourselves - individual players and those who play the game. I take your feedback and provide it directly to the developers, who you can imagine are far too busy finishing the game to post in forums.

Essentially, I'm your advocate to the studio. Unhappy with something? Love something? Feeling ambivalent about something? I'm the guy who relays that information to the developers. So while I'm technically part of the marketing department, mostly I'm here to make sure you guys are being heard and your expectations are being met.

Hopefully that makes sense. :)

Welcome, Dave! :)

I wouldn'tk now, i'm avoiding BE stuff until I get my hands on it so I get a clean slate experience which is rare to find these days.

Me too; I'm sure we're among the very few, haha. It's very tempting to watch all the previews and read all the news while anxiously waiting.

Quick question that you may be able to answer, and I don't want to create a new thread for: is staggered start a thing in multiplayer? Do players all land at the same time and the AI have a staggered start from there? Or is it auto turned off for multiplayer?

From what I recall reading, staggered starts is turned off in MP and is an option that can be turned off in SP.

Community Manager means I deal with fine folks such as yourselves - individual players and those who play the game. I take your feedback and provide it directly to the developers, who you can imagine are far too busy finishing the game to post in forums.

Essentially, I'm your advocate to the studio. Unhappy with something? Love something? Feeling ambivalent about something? I'm the guy who relays that information to the developers. So while I'm technically part of the marketing department, mostly I'm here to make sure you guys are being heard and your expectations are being met.

If you're here to "hear" us then please answer about the Aussie price. Why is it $90 USD? By ignoring it my expectations are not being met.

Where are teh natural wonders?

It's the retailer, not the developer, that determines the prices. Complain to valve, or whomever else you are buying from. Firaxis really can't do anything about prices. I know this doesn't make having a price of 90 USD any better, but complaining to Firaxis isn't going to change anything. If a burger at McDonald's costs too much, you should complain to McDonald's, not the farmer who raised the cow.

It's the retailer, not the developer, that determines the prices. Complain to valve, or whomever else you are buying from. Firaxis really can't do anything about prices. I know this doesn't make having a price of 90 USD any better, but complaining to Firaxis isn't going to change anything. If a burger at McDonald's costs too much, you should complain to McDonald's, not the farmer who raised the cow.

He's the community manager for 2K games, not Firaxis. That's why I was asking if 2k games is actually charging $90. If it's some retailer you're likely barking up the wrong tree.

To get the thread back on track.......David, please go get the OK for a livestream on release night for BE. That was great when 2k Greg streamed from his house release night for xcom. His wife even brought him snacks as we waiting for the game to drop on steam......:)

Welcome David!

I assume you are into more forums communities than just CFC, like Apolyton? Are you also the Facebook/twitter guy and so if we tweet #CBE you will be the dude on the other end?

and what other games besides those of Firaxis are you into? Any other hobbies besides video games? motorcycles? d&d? skiing? etc?

I can't speak to the exact situation, but i used to work for a major games company in production so maybe I can offer some reasons why. We had several countries where we ended up licensing the distribution in that country. Why do this? Because the country might have excessive import duties to foreign companies. A domestic company which licenses it is effectively the producer who is manufacturing it outside that nation, so it's not a "foreign" import so it doesn't get the higher taxes. For some, we even went so far as to manufacture a small production in that country too... so it wouldn't even get the foreign manufacture tag (which sometimes gets taxes too) and would have lower shipping costs (but higher cost to produce per item because small production run). At the end of the day, it's pretty complex to juggle all these factors and to see what's the best situation. And yes, the cost to the consumer does come into play because higher cost = less unit sales.

Bottom line: we (the designer/producer) did what we needed to in order to make it profitable to market in that country. If it wasn't profitable even with these "tricks" (as it wasn't in several countries), then we simply didn't sell there at all.

At the end of the day, the consumers in that country had to pay a higher price, no matter what. Import / higher duties = higher price. License / lower taxes but the licensee got to mark it up (so they made their profit, too) = higher price. Either way, the consumers paid.

Blame anyone, I'd blame the country for the high taxes. That's what free trade agreements are all about.

But anyway, like I said, I can't say that is the case here, but perhaps it is.

Even if 2K wasn't doing any of this, it could simply be import duties and/or shipping and the like.

BTW, I don't know that the retailer has anything to do with it. As a general rule of thumb, retailers put the same markup regardless of the manufacturer. They may mark up differently on different types of items (e.g., small ticket vs big ticket items), but a game is a game and will be marked up the same. Based on the original comment, it doesn't seem like other games are getting marked up, so there's something different about Civ. I'd be curious if other 2K titles are being marked up that much too.

Top Bottom