Meet the new Firaxis Games Community Manager

Hello!

My name is David Hinkle and I'm the new Community Manager and Social Media dude for Firaxis Games here at 2K. I just started this week and wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to you fine folks.

A little background on me: I spent the last 8 years on the games journalism side at Joystiq, where I covered just about every type of game imaginable through reviews, previews, news pieces, livestreams, podcasts and oh geez I'm getting tired just thinking about it! Now I'm excited to work with one of the finest teams on the planet! Awwww yiss!

I've always been a fan of the Civilization series and Firaxis Games as a whole, so naturally I leaped at the opportunity to work with these talented folks. So far it's been beyond amazing. What's better than amazing? It's totally been that!

Anywho, I just wanted to pop in and say hello. If you're going to Firaxicon, we can chat more there - if not, feel free to get in touch with me here, through the Twitters (@davehinkle / @civgame for official biz) or through the book of faces at http://facebook.com/davehinkle or http://facebook.com/civ for more official biz. I'm always here and happy to help, so don't be shy!

Thanks!
Dave

Welcome Dave!

Hey, why don't you pitch to the powers that be a launch night live stream of Civ:BE like 2k Greg did with xcom on release day?

edit: Essentially he played until steam game unlocked after which he said, well, have fun with the game and good night.

Welcome Dave!

Hey, why don't you pitch to the powers that be a launch night live stream of Civ:BE like 2k Greg did with xcom on release day?

edit: Essentially he played until steam game unlocked after which he said, well, have fun with the game and good night.

I second this! And welcome Dave, we will try not to damage your sanity too much. ;)

Hello!

My name is David Hinkle and [...] I've always been a fan of the Civilization series and Firaxis Games as a whole

Group: "Hi Dave!"

welcome to CivAnon

Welcome Dave!

Nothing is set in stone, but I'm certainly pushing for this. I love streaming and I want to see us do more of that here. :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome. This first week has been amazing, and the Civilization community is hands-down the best I've ever dealt with. Keep being awesome, you guys!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. This first week has been amazing, and the Civilization community is hands-down the best I've ever dealt with. Keep being awesome, you guys!

I don't care if the game is literally perfect and, in lieu of a compiler, each byte of pure machine code was blessed and placed by Jesus and a choir of angels: this place will disappoint you for at least 4 months after release. Bring tall rubber boots and hold your nose.

The cool kids will dog this game to death to the point where the entire forum will be unbearable for at least a month. Nothing but endless whine threads.

Also 1upT will be re-litigated until a bullet in the roof of your mouth seems like sweet sweet relief.

I don't care if the game is literally perfect and, in lieu of a compiler, each byte of pure machine code was blessed and placed by Jesus and a choir of angels: this place will disappoint you for at least 4 months after release. Bring tall rubber boots and hold your nose.

The cool kids will dog this game to death to the point where the entire forum will be unbearable for at least a month. Nothing but endless whine threads.

Also 1upT will be re-litigated until a bullet in the roof of your mouth seems like sweet sweet relief.

Ha! I've got thick skin and I'm sure I can handle it. I've been on the internet for a long time so I know what to expect. :)

Welcome, Dave, and congrats on your shiny new job.

Ancient history fascinates me. I've thought for years that a game called 'Ancient Civilizations' that has more detail on early history and only goes to say, 400 AD would be awesome!

Put in the good word for me next time they're brain-storming ways to milk the cash cow. :)

Welcome, Dave, and congrats on your shiny new job.

Ancient history fascinates me. I've thought for years that a game called 'Ancient Civilizations' that has more detail on early history and only goes to say, 400 AD would be awesome!

Put in the good word for me next time they're brain-storming ways to milk the cash cow. :)

I could definitely get into a game like that!

Ancient history fascinates me. I've thought for years that a game called 'Ancient Civilizations' that has more detail on early history and only goes to say, 400 AD would be awesome! Put in the good word for me next time they're brain-storming ways to milk the cash cow.
I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't think the Community Manager and Social Media dude for 2K has any say in what games Firaxis chooses to develop.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't think the Community Manager and Social Media dude for 2K has any say in what games Firaxis chooses to develop.

True but he has slightly better contacts than the average user here.

I'd say that's generally accurate, but I've been in games long enough to know that ideas and inspiration can come from anywhere. ;)

I don't know much about the corporate world. Does community manager mean the same thing as PR?

I don't know much about the corporate world. Does community manager mean the same thing as PR?

It means he's part of the marketing team, but his position is aimed at potential customers that are already passionate about the product (for better or worse). It differs from the marketing aimed at uninformed consumers that have to be introduced and persuaded to buy the product.

It means he's part of the marketing team, but his position is aimed at potential customers that are already passionate about the product (for better or worse). It differs from the marketing aimed at uninformed consumers that have to be introduced and persuaded to buy the product.

Ah, much enlighten thank you.

Welcome Dave. You first mission is to answer why Aussie are charged almost double what anyone else is.

Double! $_$

http://games.on.net/2013/08/legal-opinion-can-the-australia-tax-be-stopped/

http://games.on.net/2014/09/this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things/

None of these scenarios make any sense

All I can do during this whole sort of scenario, every time it happens, is just scream and scream. It doesn’t make sense nothing about this makes sense. All that happens is that everybody gets mad and feels attacked.

Australians feel attacked because, without any attempt to hide it, a company slaps them with an artificial surcharge that has absolutely no basis in reality, for a digital product that doesn’t actually exist. They’ve seen behind the curtain, and there’s no magic: just a giant middle finger.

Meanwhile, many players choose to respond in the worst possible way: attacking community reps and publisher social media accounts directly, as if they’re even remotely responsible for setting the prices. Do you think they enjoy reading hundreds of hours of negative feedback? I can still remember how I felt when I was working at a petrol station, back in my university days — right at the time oil prices started to spike — and people would come in and directly abuse me, personally, about the price of petrol. Yeah, I just woke up this morning and decided petrol should cost $1.40. Thanks for your feedback!

No, this is nonsense. Do you really think the Australian arm of your favourite publisher dictates the pricing structure locally? They’d love it if the games were priced more reasonably, because then they’d have something great to talk about instead of having to be constantly defensive and apologetic. They can’t ever speak up and say “No, these people overseas did it”, because that’s not how being part of a Large Corporation works.

What happens now?

Now we get The Silence. You’ll see this over and over again from big publishers: when something happens to which they can’t really answer without possibly upsetting somebody — their shareholders, their business partners, themselves by admission of guilt — they say nothing. They say nothing and the issue goes away, borne on the winds of a relentless 24/7 gaming news cycle.

You can read more about The Silence in this great article by John Walker. It happens all the time, and it’s exactly what has happened in every single sudden price rise to date. Publisher says nothing, issue goes away. End of story.

(Side note: Ubisoft’s community rep actually broke The Silence on the Watch Dogs price rise in March, which was incredibly interesting. As detailed in this Kotaku article, they claimed that the company was restricted to European pricing because they were part of the European business group and had to deal in that currency. That’s the last they had to say on the issue however, which is unfortunate.)

What can you do?

Dealing with the Australia Tax is bad enough, but having something reasonably priced dangled in front of you for months on end only to find it’s suddenly shot up in price closer to launch is cruel, unreasonable, and unacceptable.

If you’re buying a game on PC, please don’t buy games at these prices. While the shift towards digital is inexorable, and prices will eventually reach reasonable levels, at the moment all you can do is vote with your wallet. Use sites like Green Man Gaming (we are a referral partner) or GamersGate if you want to buy through official key sellers, or pretend to be in the USA — it’s not hard, here’s a guide — and buy from Amazon instead, where the prices are pretty good. You might find a cheaper deal at a CD key site, but as always, use those at your own risk.

Alternatively, just wait for a sale. Everybody’s doing it. But whatever you do, don’t pay these prices — it’s trivial to pay less, so please do it. The more people that refuse to pay these prices, the stronger the message.

Top Bottom