Military Base/Camp

MusicLaunch

Emperor of Arabia
didnt u ever want to have a military camp/base that could make military units, but you didnt' want to build a new city that would be completely corrupt?

:mad: it drives me mad that i always have to wait a turns (before RRs) to move my troops to newly conqered cities.

Yes you right :mad: it upset me too.

And we can think in all the possibilities that tis can open, like have the oportunity to have military bases in your allies countries. It colud help to simulate the american bases in the WWII England or todays bases arroun the world.

And you can have two kinds of bases, the ones inside your own country, and maybe you can produce units with this. And the ones iside your allies countries, where you can only store units.

What do you think about?:D

Ones which store units can be done with fortresses now.

Originally posted by MusicLaunch
:mad: it drives me mad that i always have to wait a turns (before RRs) to move my troops to newly conqered cities.

Hmmm....I'm sure that this also annoyed Alexander the Great, Hannibal, Caesar, Napoleon, Hitler, Eisenhower, etc.
But the fact is that armies are composed of men, and men are born into families, and most families live in cities (at least in modern times).....

It’s bad enough as it is in Civ3 already. For example, think of WW2. Which of following seems more ‘realistic’?-

* American units, composed of American soldiers, must be recruited from American cities, and are equipped and trained in America, before being shipped abroad to either the European or Pacific theatre.

--OR--

* American units, composed of American soldiers, can be built, trained and recruited from captured French or German cities! :crazyeye:

A 'military base' that can produce men out of thin air seems daft to me.
Maybe one day in the future, when wars are conducted by robots or clones, then perhaps they COULD appear 'out of thin air'....but so far, they are born in cities. ;)

I want a military base. It would be something that can store land, air and sea units. It's like a city, but cannot produce anything. (like a colony so to speak). It should be able to heal land and sea unit, and can provide base to planes. You should also be able to send out paratroopers from military base. It can be built freely within your own border, but within another's land you need to get a permission from them. (unless you are at war with them, then you can just go in and build one)
It will be interesting for example, when you are winning the war and the AI is asking for peace, you demand that they give you the right to build military base w/in their land. :) How nice! I love that! :love:

Originally posted by Kryten
* American units, composed of American soldiers, can be built, trained and recruited from captured French or German cities! :crazyeye:
Well, in fact, if you capture a foreign city in Civ3, and produce units from it, they WILL BE of the foreign nationality, exactly like captured workers :)

Originally posted by Akka
Well, in fact, if you capture a foreign city in Civ3, and produce units from it, they WILL BE of the foreign nationality, exactly like captured workers :)

Well.....not really.
Once a unit is built, it is just a unit like all your other units, no matter what city it is built in (Civ3 is not like the old Civ1 & Civ2, where each unit was 'tied' to it's original creating city by being supported by that city).

However:-

Originally posted by Dida
I want a military base. It would be something that can store land, air and sea units. It's like a city, but cannot produce anything. (like a colony so to speak). It should be able to heal land and sea unit, and can provide base to planes. You should also be able to send out paratroopers from military base. It can be built freely within your own border, but within another's land you need to get a permission from them. (unless you are at war with them, then you can just go in and build one)
It will be interesting for example, when you are winning the war and the AI is asking for peace, you demand that they give you the right to build military base w/in their land. :) How nice! I love that! :love:

Ah. A 'military base' as discribed by Dida above makes much more sense, as a sort of military hospital/repair centre/supply depot/airfield/etc, rather than something that can actually BUILD new units.
Yes, I agree, it would be useful and realistic. :)

In fact, I'd say that a 'base' of this kind is essential.
Think of a WW2 scenario or situation: most people expect Britain and the United States of America to be seperate but allied civs.
But if they are seperate, then it would be impossible to have the mighty US 8th Air Force based in England and bomb German controlled Europe, because you are not allowed to station air units in your allies cities, or be able to build airfields in your allies territory.
Result = either the British have to build the American Bombers, OR, have the American Bombers based in America where they can't even reach Europe! :crazyeye:

A 'miltary base' that can be built in allied territory would solve these problems. :goodjob:

What I've always done is simply create cities with US base names (RAF Alconbury, Mildenhall, and Greenham Common in England; Ramstein AB in Germany, etc) and just build the following in each: barracks, temple, and SAM Battery. If it were possible to create a military base like we've all been talking about, lets remember to come up with a way to name it! Also, does anyone have any ideas as to how to put radar stations in neutral territory? I think thats where they are needed.

Originally posted by Kryten
Well.....not really.
Once a unit is built, it is just a unit like all your other units, no matter what city it is built in (Civ3 is not like the old Civ1 & Civ2, where each unit was 'tied' to it's original creating city by being supported by that city).
Yes, but the unit will still have its ancient nationality between parenthesis (like : "Rifleman (Egyptian)").
But if they are seperate, then it would be impossible to have the mighty US 8th Air Force based in England and bomb German controlled Europe, because you are not allowed to station air units in your allies cities
In fact, it was possible in AC, but it's once again a thing that was lost in the process. Stupid backward evolution ^^

Originally posted by Dida

Excellent idea... now you could have the option of a Navy base by building it nexto to the coast (and have the same features with ships)...

I think military base are quite powerful tool to have, because you can have your force that much closer to your potential target. I think if you build it in another civ's land, you should pay a 'rent' for the land very turn, to compensate for the production lose due to the contruction of the base and also for the civ to make some money, let say you build a base in your ally's land, and the tile you built your base on originally produced 1 gold/2 food/1 shield, then you will be paying like 1+2+1+10 =19 gold/turn to him for the rent.
Also, you should pay an upkeep fee for the base, something like 10 gold per turn would be good. If you have 10 bases around the world, and 6 are outside of your own border, and you pay on average 18 gold/turn for the rent on those, the total cost will run 10*10+18*6=208. That's not exactly cheap. But you will have good projection of power around the globe.

Hmmm, I'd be happy if fortresses allowed you to 'heal' units! In fact, even with battlefield medicine, I think that you should have to return a unit to a fort in order to get healed (if in enemy territory!)
In addition, I think it is vital for you to be able to station units in cities with whom you have an alliance (or even an MPP, perhaps). This is a far more realistic system than currently exists-and was the system available in SMAC!!! Can't understand why they ever got rid of it in Civ3!!! It seemed like a major step BACKWARDS!!!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

I really like the effect of the curroption rules in civ3. This would just circumvent that effect which i wouldnt like =) Im not even a huge fan of FP. Civ3 has the stricktest controls on over extended empires of all the civ clones i seen and it works very nicely if you ask me. Add more of the same please =)

With these bases the rampant world empire would be back and the whole point of the curroption is to keep expansion to strategic resources and strategic removal of your enemys power base rather then just keep expanding using the doubling principle forever.

Originally posted by Aussie_Lurker
Hmmm, I'd be happy if fortresses allowed you to 'heal' units! In fact, even with battlefield medicine, I think that you should have to return a unit to a fort in order to get healed (if in enemy territory!)
In addition, I think it is vital for you to be able to station units in cities with whom you have an alliance (or even an MPP, perhaps). This is a far more realistic system than currently exists-and was the system available in SMAC!!! Can't understand why they ever got rid of it in Civ3!!! It seemed like a major step BACKWARDS!!!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

I agree 100%.

Imagine an anabase (the Xenphon one) scenario like that where you would need to bring back enough troops alive without being able to heal them in foreign territory. :eek:

I like Dida's idea the best:goodjob: I think being able to build units in enemy territory is a little bit over the edge.

Top Bottom