Milking your score

Mmmm Butter said:
Anyways, group me with the people who enjoy controlling their workers. For most turns in the game, it's the only thing I'm doing. Plus I just don't like their choices of improvements. I'm a cottage spammer, so I'd rather build those as early as possible as opposed to farms.
All the more power to those that do enjoy this aspect of the game. I was just speculating that there are probably some relatively easy ways to make worker automation more effective for those that do want to turn it on. I found with this months "epic" speed I really wanted to move a long faster, but just wasn't too happy with the results of automating my workers.

I tend to measure my games by quality of the game. If a game has a lot of interesting developments and forces a lot of interesting decisions on me, or is closely contested with a memorable finish, it ranks high in my book. I rarely bother to look at the final score and see it as a meaningless statistic.

I have no problem with people that enjoy milking the score, if that's what there into. Seems to me that's what this GOTM is all about. It's just not my mode.

Sid the Lucid said:
I have no problem with people that enjoy milking the score, if that's what there into. Seems to me that's what this GOTM is all about. It's just not my mode.

Have you read any of the actual game discussion (spoiler threads)? Maximizing one's score is quite a small part of what GOTM players actually discuss, and it would be fair to say that most GOTM entrants don't even really pay attention to how the scoring works.

Just because this thread is about scoring, doesn't mean that the whole GOTM is about scoring. Score just tends to get discussed a lot, because it's one of the things that one can talk about outside of the spoiler threads (and because the people who do care about scoring find it very interesting).

Well I didn't mean for it to be an inflammatory remark, just an observation.

Were I to set up an event like this, there would be no awards for score, no HOF, no score tracking or reporting. There would be no 'winners' or 'losers', just people playing a common game for purposes of enjoyment and discussion. People would be free to play at the difficulty level of their choice, as there would be no need to for a level playing field. The focus would be on having an INCLUSIVE game, rather than catering to the wants of a few vocal, expert players.

In comparison to such a scheme, this GOTM is very much all about scoring.

Sid the Lucid said:
In comparison to such a scheme, this GOTM is very much all about scoring.

Only if you want it to be. I don't pay any attention to the scores, so they don't affect me at all. Only a tiny percentage of the spoiler discussions have anything to do with scoring.

Top Bottom