Minefields

Just a random thought that I came up with... haven't thought it out, but no one else mentioned it:

If it was a missile unit, submarines could "deploy" your mines at sea...

It sounds good but I know there's gotta be some downside because otherwise I would've used it by now. (I remember I was playing with the idea of using Torpedoes like in a few WW2 scens and Sea Mines seemed to be the logical next step but I killed that idea for some reason so I assume it's because I found out that it doesn't work, like it doesn't load onto the sub or something.) If you try it, please tell me if it actually works or not. I'm sure BKA would be interested in this since he uses torpedoes which also follow this concept but have a movement of 1.

The in game unit editor will wipe all signatures instantly the moment it is used.

If the shield is not placed fully in the space, it will drag horribly if the unit can move.

Whenever the unit appears in any of the game popup screens, the shield will look horribly misplaced as it will not be invisible.

What do you mean by 'wipe all signatures'? (I don't use the Editor for designing.)

I've seen this dragging effect so I would be interested to understand exactly why it happens and how to avoid it.

I thought of a potential problem. If a missile is a sea unit, can it still be carried by a sub? Or is the game hard-coded to accept only "air missiles"?

And you couldn't make the mine/torpedo an air unit disguised as a sea unit, b/c what would stop it from moving over land? Except a movement rate of zero, but then you couldn't even deploy them from a sub, could you?

You have to give the air unit the sub flag to prevent it attacking units on land (which, BTW limits it to a movement of 1--just one more hidden glitch). You're probably right about there being no way of deploying the immobile air unit from the sub because even though you can activate the unit (it will go off sleep mode but isn't selectable), it will go with the sub (sleep) when it moves away.

I was just thinking over what could be an interesting alternative to the Sea Mine unit concept:

Sea Mine - ADM/F: 0/1/1/10 (Flags: Sub, Dest)

The idea is that you load it onto your Submarine, move it to some choke point and deploy the Mine there. Enemy ships will not be able to attack it thus it can block that square for up to ten turns (has enough 'fuel' to allow it to remain in the air for that many turns). You can keep the mine there by sending a sub to 'refuel' the Mine every ten turns. You wouldn't leave the sub there because it will be prone to attack.

yoshi said:
What do you mean by 'wipe all signatures'? (I don't use the Editor for designing.)

I've seen this dragging effect so I would be interested to understand exactly why it happens and how to avoid it.

people put their initials on thier units using the two invisible colours (pink and purple) but activating the unit editor wipes everything by reintroducing the original pink/purple diamond behind the unit.

Top Bottom