Mines?

Rezca

The Greatest Jaggi
While I was playing a recent AND game I started thinking about the improvements - namely the Workshops and Mines - and how you could either let them sit for a few dozen (or a hundred on slower speeds) turns to upgrade on their own, or pay a measly amount of cash and a few extra turns to build their upgraded version... And as I was thinking about the mines in particular my train of thought eventually shifted to the Modern Mine.

I thought about a 'Core Mine' instead of a Modern Mine, that might be accessed with a new technology (Core Drilling perhaps?) in the late Modern or early Transhuman eras. The new tech-tree updates have already been put in place I believe, so I don't think there's any rush to go adding new technologies to it, but it was a thought ^^

Even if such a technology is never added, renaming the Modern Mine to something similar might be an idea? I recall something said about wanting to avoid the use of 'Modern' as a prefix for units in the later stages of the game (Modern Workboat, Modern Grenadier/Infantry/etc) but don't know if that'd apply to improvements too ^^

A 'Deep Core Mine' national wonder was a thought too, that might serve as a second Ironworks but with less pollution, and results in slight unhappiness with the Green civic being run, instead of extra production with Coal and Iron, it'd produce extra production with Geothermal Energy and maybe Methane Ice or Bauxite Ore. I rarely see Methane Ice actually being able to be used since it's often out of reach of most cities, and as far as I know those first to resources serve only to boost the commerce/production of a tile being worked and don't speed anything up or grant access to anything. Some building or NW that benefits from them might be an idea after balancing the current revision(s) has been settled? :)

While I was playing a recent AND game I started thinking about the improvements - namely the Workshops and Mines - and how you could either let them sit for a few dozen (or a hundred on slower speeds) turns to upgrade on their own, or pay a measly amount of cash and a few extra turns to build their upgraded version... And as I was thinking about the mines in particular my train of thought eventually shifted to the Modern Mine.

I thought about a 'Core Mine' instead of a Modern Mine, that might be accessed with a new technology (Core Drilling perhaps?) in the late Modern or early Transhuman eras. The new tech-tree updates have already been put in place I believe, so I don't think there's any rush to go adding new technologies to it, but it was a thought ^^

Even if such a technology is never added, renaming the Modern Mine to something similar might be an idea? I recall something said about wanting to avoid the use of 'Modern' as a prefix for units in the later stages of the game (Modern Workboat, Modern Grenadier/Infantry/etc) but don't know if that'd apply to improvements too ^^

A 'Deep Core Mine' national wonder was a thought too, that might serve as a second Ironworks but with less pollution, and results in slight unhappiness with the Green civic being run, instead of extra production with Coal and Iron, it'd produce extra production with Geothermal Energy and maybe Methane Ice or Bauxite Ore. I rarely see Methane Ice actually being able to be used since it's often out of reach of most cities, and as far as I know those first to resources serve only to boost the commerce/production of a tile being worked and don't speed anything up or grant access to anything. Some building or NW that benefits from them might be an idea after balancing the current revision(s) has been settled? :)

Good idea, I like it; I would wait to hear Vokarya's opinion as this is more his field in terms of development and Joseph's opinion because criticism is always necessary :p (of course other players are free to join the discussion)

It's not a top priority at the moment, but it looks interesting IMO. :)

Glad the idea at least looks interesting in theory ^^

I forget exactly when Modern Mines come into play, but if they're late enough it could be renamed to Automated Mine as well. Having a Core Mine improvement and a Deep Core Mine as a National Wonder might be a bit confusing (Though I'd imagine that smaller localized ones as improvements wouldn't drill as deep as a larger more specialized one)

Returned to a three-month old savegame of C2C I was playing and was eying some of the civics and noticed the mention of "Core Mines" already (Along with the usual modern mines, mines, shaft mines, etc). I didn't know they had core-drilling mines really, since I've never made it past the Medieval era in C2C :lol:

I was thinking about the possible National Wonder core mine, an additional effect of slight commerce boost (+5% maybe) upon researching Teleportation? Since such an ability would speed up the transit of mined materials to the surface :)
Doesn't sound far too exciting on it's own, but if anyone else has some ideas it might make it more interesting. But I suppose National Wonders don't have to be highly intricate and powerful ^^

Top Bottom