Mini FAQ

homan1983

King
Ok so here is some questions/statements that keeps getting repeated over and over. Hopefully we can put these to rest:

Why do ships have a higher strength than ranged strength even though they fight ranged only?

A ranged attack is checked against normal strength. By doing this they ensure the ships last longer in battles which I strongly support.
For example Imagine that a 50range vs 50strength would do 5dmg, now 35 vs 50 would do 2dmg hence the ship would need 5 hits before it dies.

Archers are range 2 but Riflemen are melee

The point here is range is relative. In the ancient age when people are attacking with swords and spears then a bow is considered ranged. However in the modern age, the same range would be considered melee.

archers with spearmen vs artillery with riflemen

Why wasn't civs like Mongolia, Spain etc... put in the game

Probably because their downloadable content will release civs + scenarios. So I imagine they specifically reserved them for later dates to make Ghengis Khan scenarios or Spanish Inquisitions etc...

Archers are range 2 but Riflemen are melee

The point here is range is relative. In the ancient age when people are attacking with swords and spears then a bow is considered ranged. However in the modern age, the same range would be considered melee.

archers with spearmen vs artillery with riflemen
this is not even a question, and the answer is so poorly constructed and nonsensical that it just made me laugh.

this is not even a question, and the answer is so poorly constructed and nonsensical that it just made me laugh.

Maybe he could have added "why?" at the end to make it a question. The answer makes sense to me, maybe its wording could be a bit better.

Could've been worded better but I understood it just fine. Each hex is an abstraction, not a literal representation of a finite distance. It must be this way because the scale of warfare ranges from guys with spears to ICBMs. Therefore the range of a unit is relative only to other units in its respective era of warfare. In the ancient age an archer has a longer range than a spearman. In the modern age an artillery has a longer range than an infantry, and is therefore represented this way on the map. A game that spans 6000 years of human technology is forced to abstract certain concepts to remain playable. Unless you want artillery that fires 50 hexes.

Could've been worded better but I understood it just fine. Each hex is an abstraction, not a literal representation of a finite distance. It must be this way because the scale of warfare ranges from guys with spears to ICBMs. Therefore the range of a unit is relative only to other units in its respective era of warfare. In the ancient age an archer has a longer range than a spearman. In the modern age an artillery has a longer range than an infantry, and is therefore represented this way on the map. A game that spans 6000 years of human technology is forced to abstract certain concepts to remain playable. Unless you want artillery that fires 50 hexes.
It is very important to be able to say what you mean, rather than just spraying words all over and assume that it will speak for itself. It is indeed very plain for someone who had already been introduced to the subject, but if the OP is indeed trying to make a FAQ list, then he may give clear answers and not resort to the 'oh well, at least you know what I mean' kind of answers. It is even more important to say exactly what you mean since this is a forum and we cannot guess anything from handsignals and bodylanguage and the like, nor are we mindreaders.

lol perhaps but h does have the basic jist, it scales according to era, you have short-ranged units (melee) and long ranged units (ranged)

Why the GRD?

To have an alternative to nuclear weapons. Otherwise uranium could only be used on nuclear plants and nuclear weapons.

Top Bottom