Minor suggestions

Actually, making changing leader happen in the middle of the game is not that hard.:) jdog's ChangePlayer which comes with Better AI can do that with ease. You can do it during the game too, using ctrl-shift-P if I remember right.

If we really do that, we need to make sure how this will happen. Do you really like the idea that Sun Ce will die in 200AD and be replaced by a less competent little brother? I love Sun Ce and am not very fond of that.;)

And the 'coding team' is actually...not many people. I need to recruit some new heroes to come on board.:D

Along those lines, I was playing a random game as Sun Ce. There happened to be a kingdom owned by Sun Quan. I attacked it and captured Sun Quan, and then persuaded him to be my general. The opposing kingdom was somehow still lead by Sun Quan, even as he (Sun Quan) attacked it...

@Raize

Hey, you are playing the latest beta 4 right? I have caught the bug and did something about it before uploading beta 4, but I always have a feeling the bug is still there.

I was playing the beta 4 that was released as of around 18 hours ago.

Is it possible to create your own leader and/or hero? That was one of the fun part of ROTK2, where you could create 1 ruler/hero with a follower. I think it'd be fun to put yourself in the game.

Maybe the player could "take over" a faction, and replace the existing ruler with one of their own design, along with the hero. So I'd remove Liu Bei, and have Dave as the ruler of Shu. And give a certain amount of points to use towards designing the hero's potential upgrades.

That would be fun but not very historical. :)
A better suggestion would be to allow you to choose between potential successors, e.g. Sima Yi vs. Cao Pi, Liu Shan vs Zhuge Liang, Sun Qian vs. Zhou Yu, etc. (I personally favor Liu Shan rather than Zhuge Liang with his spiritual/philosophical traits).

Haha

If you are preferring Liu Shan to Zhuge Liang, maybe some of the ruler traits could use some "flavor" reworking. I know that FfH has a "fool" trait that gives -25%:science:, which might be appropriate for Liu Shan.

Maybe he just acted like a fool to save his ass. Wikipedia says that he has no official historian of his own, and he may have been a genius after all to balance the "reconquista" and "status quo" factions in his court.
Even Dong Zhuo would be good to play if I could with the scenarios available.

Liu Shan is the smartest dude among all the last emperors of China.

His father is an ass that no matter how many times he lost and run and surrendered and served other people, he never took it personally and always managed to fall back stronger.

Liu Shan inherited this trait from his father, so even he is captured and 'psychologically' abused he still enjoyed his life like an ass.

If I may suggest, I've seen mod that allow the player to increase/decrease culture/research/spy in 5% increment/decrement instead of 10%. I found that's quite useful where I can have more freedom in adjusting those settings.

I concur, it really helps when you don't have a lot of money.

One thing I noticed is that sometimes the early civics make it hard to grow your city. Fine in the context of the scenarios, but really a pain when playing a separate game. I had serious food resources and still my city didn't want to grow.

Perhaps a custom game option to have a different list of civics that would include a more 'standard' starting civics. I mean I notice that if you're not careful, you start with Indifference and when you found a religion, you don't get the option to convert so if you aren't paying attention, it's easy to go quite a few turns before realizing you need to change civics.

Again, this would be only for non-scenario games.

Plus, shouldn't there be an option for ocean going vessels for non-scenario games? It's not critical; I find playing with the tectonic lakes 30% gives a good feel for the original type of map.

I'm back after a nice long period of college applications, homework, and tests! Either way, point is I fired up this wonderful mod once again, and took a fresh look at the minor issues. After taking this small break, I came up with a few nice small tweaks that could be made!

First of all, the Power civic. This is not the philosophy of Power, so I'm assuming it means something more along the lines of you value military strength highly. Currently, it does very little to help you militarily, and is one of the most harmful civics in the game. I propose that the no foreign trade routes penalty be removed, and replaced with a unit producion modifier, +25% maybe? In addition to that, perhaps the General Combat point accumulation bonus could be increased further to about +100% when in your borders.

Secondly, Emperor. Perhaps the bonus production could be added to ALL levels of cottage? Or even Hamlet and up? The way it stands, Emperor is a rather poor civic, when it really should be a really powerful one. Especially since there's an entire wonder dedicated simply to allow the Rebellion player to become Emperor.

Which brings me to my third point. Since Beliefs are political beliefs, it makes sense that they should be able to be changed relatively fast. The current commandery and advisor mansion converting mechanic is great, but I feel it still takes years to spread the belief you want to change to through your empire. Perhaps either the natural spread rate of beliefs should be increased, or Advocates made cheaper? Perhaps even make certain Advocates cheaper hammer-wise, making that specific belief easier to spread? (Here Rebellion comes to mind. I'd also see Division as a hard spread belief, since it should really be confined to your homeland)

My fourth point! There a few small tweaks that could be added to make each Belief's effects more in line with its goal, without being game-changing. For instance, Division is one of the more isolationist beliefs, next to Hermit. These Beliefs should have a +X% War Weariness modifier tacked on to each of thier buildings, perhaps around +10% each. Since War Weariness only applies when fighting outside borders, this works well to simulate opposition to expansionism (which would be Unification). Rebellion and Revival should get an opposite effect, with lessened War Weariness.

And my fifth point. Some leaders should have more of a belief present in their cities. For instance, I wouldn't mind seeing more Rebellion present in the Unification cities. Also, more Power spread about a bit wouldn't be bad either. That way, some leaders could have an easier shift in Belief (such as Cao Pi from Unification to Rebellion, and Ma Chao could also switch to Power).

Most of my points revolve around making the political scene a bit more dynamic. Right now, the Cao Clan and the Yuan family will always be Unification, and Yuan Shu is really the only leader who switches Beliefs.

And a final idea, which is more major than a few XML changes, is to have each Leader have a Hero unit. I really love the successions that occur, and the random leaders really make the game interesting. Especially when they get fun trait combos!

EDIT: And sorry about the wall of text... I just got carried off!

Play a no-city game with Yuan Shu and you'll find that he's easily the most overpowered player early on, since you can conquer anything without worrying about maintenance's effect on your economy. I agree it needs to be made easier to adopt (I suggested after researching Imperial Academy), especially by late game when most of the major players would have substantial empires to govern and appropriate pretensions to being emperor.

Yeah, Yuan Shu is crazy in no-city games! Only problem is I really like starting the game surrounded by stronger powers at a military disadvantage (like Lu Bu in the large map), so I usually play the preset scenarios.

Perhaps an event could be implemented once you reach a certain number of cities that either forces you to select Regent or Emperor as your civic? (And preferably blocks you from adopting "lesser" civics later on). Each Belief could have it's own different event text, and perhaps a different chance of the event occurring. The event would preferably repeat until you have chosen the Emperor civic.

Hi,

I have just tried this mod and I have been quite overwhelmed by it! Unfortunately my knowledge of the Sanguo period and the lore spun around it is rather non-existent... so I am unfit to make any judgments, I have a question though regarding the unitart: asmost of it is replaced (as have been many buildings), this helps a lot with the immersion- it is especially cool if you see that Guan Yu looks the part. THe legion system, faction traits, the emperor (I suppose, as rebellion faction leader, could you just not croak him? After all, it seems that you have earned the tianming* at this point)...

But as of now, there is still alot of placeholder art left- like the cellars with a satellite dish on, the byzantine kataphraktoi light cavalry, the Royal Guard (Roman Praetorians). the Quechua Yellow turbans and so on and on... (I can understand the use of Native American and other placeholder art for the non-Han "ethnic minority" units though) Then there are the belief buildings, the Yamen and some other stuff. On a lower priority, things like Great PEople could also get a redo (I hope for all of this there is the necessary art on CFC). Please do not get me wrong, I like this mod a lot, but I see those things as loose ends that could hopefully be tied up very nicely at some point, with as little hassle and time as possible I hope.

I first noticed this when I tried to bring the glory of Tianshi Dao or Wudoumi Dao to the Central Plains- relying partially on Gaulish Warriors (unfortunately trying to tinker with the xml myself only got the game to crash while loading). THey do have an interesting name though- Ghost Swordsmen... Are these sorts of units actually mentioned in a historical source? What's their real name in Chinese (ie which hanzi)?

One last thing. Will there be further scenarios in the future? Like Wei conquering Shu... or Jin against Wu... (still in the book) And will the Simas get their own faction for later on as well?

Apologies for this Great Wall of text...

*Mandate of Heaven. According to the likes of Mencius and Dong Zhongshu, your right to rule because of your benevolence and virtue among others. That's of course extremely simplified

PS in Chinese wangluo yuyan, I'd of course just say "zan"! I am doubtful whether CiV will be a good platmform for mods such as these... but there ares till too many interesting periods in Chinese history that can be used for modding... like the Zhanguo age (in more detail this time), the time from the end of the Tang dynasty to the beginning of the Yuan dynasty (An-Shi Rebellion, 5 dynasties and 10 kingdoms, the political setup during the Song dynasty and so on), or the founding of the Ming dynasty (play Zhu Yuanzhang or one of his many rivals, or try to reclaim China for Mongol rule) the Ming-Qing transition, the Taiping rebellion, and so on and so on...

Top Bottom