1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

mm21-The Art of War-Always

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Succession Games' started by Mark1031, Sep 26, 2010.

1. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

Played 10 turns fighting off Aztecs in the southwest initially. They are sending waves of useless units at us. Added were some Egypt rifles, but a combination of rifles and cavalry fends them off.

In the northwest, I made better progress taking Grand River from Greece and slowly advancing to Athens. This is the situation after 5 turns

It takes several turns to bombard Athens and getting rid of 2 frigates that harass us, but at the last turn, I finally manage to take the city and annex it. I decide to do that so we can cash rush more units at the front as we got lots of cash. I would rush more infantry and artillery to shell the enemy. Now, that we have infantry, the enemy has little to offer as resistance.

The situation at the end of 10 turns. We have made little progress but I manage to eliminate quite a few units and lost only 1. We are now on the way to railroads. I left a few workers in our homeland alone to build those rails later.

Happiness again is pretty green and I suggest to keep all cities as puppets as we can afford that.

2. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

I like the choice of annexing Athens. A rush spot near the front will be most excellent. We'll probably want to annex another couple cities as the front moves. But we can always do that after they've been a puppet for a while.

Infantry will make progress much easier. We can almost afford to completely ignore the Aztec units now, since they're so outdated. They probably can't even kill an injured artillery at this point, so we can almost afford to just let cities bombard them as they move to pillage or to try to capture workers or whatever. Maybe use a lancer or two as mobile mop-up units.

We are loaded with cash. I see a few options:
    - Buy in another maritime city-state as ally, so we don't have to worry about food at all (though many of our cities are already big enough, IMO)
    - Cash-rush more happiness buildings so we can stay ahead of our advancing forces in happiness.
    - Cash-rush units in Athens to speed up progress
    - Sit on it because we don't need it

I think I'd go for cash-rushing units and happiness myself.

Arathorn

3. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I'll be out of town without internet from now until Sunday afternoon.

4. Mark1031

Mark1031 Chieftain

Sorry guys but I'm going to need a skip. I am out of town till thurs and my laptop is not hot enough to play civV. Looking good though. This was too easy and I believe it is Emperor not King.

5. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Does that put me back up??

Think so, will try and get something played tonight.

6. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Go for it, Ozbenno. Kind of a slog right now, but we should be able to continue making good progress.

Arathorn

7. Ozbenno

OK, will have a report up in 4-5 hours...

8. Methos

I'm back, so I guess I take it after Ozbenno?

9. Ozbenno

Turns take a LOOOOONG time. Won't get all 10 played today, will have to finish tonight. It is plain sailing (so far) though..

10. Ozbenno

With my limited time, 10 turns is abit of a slog but I got there...

Highlights are the exit of Alex

And the capture of the Aztec capital

Egypt is the last capital to take before victory. We don't have the greatest presence down there and I saw an infantry last turn.

I accidently annexed a couple of cities instead of puppetingby misclicking:blush: so happiness is a bit of an issue but if we swing our troops down to the south and find the Egyptian capital then this is over...

I think Methos might be UP!!

Attached Files:

11. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

The worse than -10 happiness hampers our troop's effectiveness, too. We probably want to deal with that fairly quickly. Even cities that have been annexed can be burnt post-facto, simply by entering the city screen and razing. We may need/want to do that for a couple cities, just to keep our troops in prime condition.

With ~400 gpt, too, we can rush happiness buildings every couple turns, which will also help. I see no reason not to do that, as the 33% (IIRC) penalty is not tiny, especially since Egypt has comparable troops to us. Really, though, artillery rock and we should be able to squash Egypt reasonably quickly, while either continuing against the Aztecs or just fighting a holding action against them.

Arathorn

12. Methos

Got it.

I'll see what I can do about rush-buying some happiness. If any of the cities he accidently annexed aren't very good, I'll raze them.

13. Methos

After loading the save I realize our unhappiness is at 21, not 13. We have enough :gold: to buy one colisuem and it appears all of our cities already have one (except the one I just purchased), so that's not going to be much help. I do sell the Public School in Jenne, since its currently burning. We only made 35 :gold: and saved 3 :gold:/turn. I start the burning of Tombouctu and sell one of its buildings, bringing our unhappiness down to 7.

I didn't have time to play any further, other then pressing 'end turn'. It appears most of our army is next to Monte, so I'm inclined to finish off Monte since everything is right here and one of their cities is about to fall. Egypt has a destroyer in the area of Monte and at the front is showing signs of both infantry and artillery. I hate to give Egypt too much time to get too many units, but I hate to walk away from Monte too. I won't be able to play again until tomorrow afternoon, so here's the 1812 AD save for those who wish to look at our current situation and state your thoughts.

Attached Files:

14. Ozbenno

Monte won't be able to throw too much at us, I'd concentrate on Egypt.

15. Methos

My wife and I have today off (Veterans Day), so no Civ today. As Ozbenno has so aptly put it, I'll continue slogging through tomorrow.

16. Methos

Sorry, I got a bit sidetracked with my HOF Beta Gauntlet 3 submission and never got around to this. There's no way I can play over the weekend, so I might as well hand it off (assuming the next player can play over the weekend).

My apologies.

17. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

I think that puts me up. I'll see what I can do about it tonight/this weekend.

Arathorn

18. Beorn-eL-Feared

Beorn-eL-Feared Idiot riding pedals

lurker's comment: Curiously, in my shadow game, Rome had eaten away at everyone around them quite succesfully and were on par with me by the time I landed, no more no less - a few dozen turns and they would have been a dangerous runaway. The others were all beaten up and barely worth mentioning. In your game, it looks like they all stuck together a bit more, I see good units from each of them in the screenshots. Very different turn of events. It's probably much more fun in your version too :trouble:

19. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Played but too tired to report tonight.

I rushed a bit and lost some units. Oh well....

Arathorn

20. Ozbenno

At this stage we can afford some losses, the rushing is good :mischief: