[Mod] Alt Religions

I have been playing this Alt Religions mod extensively since it first came out, and it has become the one indispensible mod for me. I like the re-naming; no matter what mind games i play, I find it difficult to overlook the real world religions playing out so unrealistically. This mod just feels better as it plays.

I also have a preference for the differentiated effect of the seven religions. It becomes one more reason that each game plays out differently, because you will seek out a different religion to suit your circumstances.

Finally, I don't know whether it is by design or by accident, but I have found that the AI handles this placement of relgions better than it does the vanilla game. I tend to play at the Noble level, and find that the game out of the box pretty much lets me grab the religion of my choice at that level. With this mod, you have to work at it.

Great mod!

This is without doubt the best mod Ive found so far. Its so simple, yet it removes so many annoying features that it pretty much makes the game 10x better on its own. If only it were easier to combine mods!

10/10, really simple, elegant and professionally done.

I played this mod exclusively with Civ IV standard. Since Warlords came out, there's obviously differences in compatibility. Anyone know if there are any plans to make a Warlords version of the mod? Any help in finding this out would be great. >.>

Sorry, I missed your post JadeFalcon. I skipped Warlords and only just got back into Civ with the release of BtS. If anyone is still interested, I have a BtS compatible version of this now. You can download it here.

It uses the modular loading system included with BtS, which for some reason is disabled by default. So you need to edit your CivilizationIV.ini file (the one in "My Documents\My Games\beyond the sword"). Look for the line "ModularLoading = 0" (without the quotes) and change the 0 to a 1.

The one problem is that modular loading doesn't seem to work from within the CustomAssets, although it's supposed to. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but for now it looks like you'll need to load this from it's own mod directory. The nice thing about modular loading is that it should be much easier to combine this with other mods, more on that below.

What's new:
  • Vaalkazian missionaries now display their glowing holy symbol when they spread their religion.
  • Krondian missionaries no longer have glowing heads like the great engineers.
  • It's no longer necessary to combine my Alt City Names mod with this one, so if you only install this mod you'll get the default names. If you want to use Alt City Names too, you can get the new version here.

How to combine this with other mods: If you look in the "Alt Religions" folder you'll see a new folder called "Modules". Everything in there can be dropped into the "Modules" folder of a different mod (just create the modules folder if it doesn't exist) and should work without any other changes. You can pick and choose what you want to add, so if you only want Ezbolism and Sutism in your game, then only copy those two folders. The same goes for picking and choosing which buildings to add.

The one potential conflict would be with another mod that overwrites the default religions with new ones. In that case, you'll have to go through some of the xml files and change some tags to make my religions replace a different default or give them a completely new tag altogether.

The "python" and "res" folders don't use modular loading, but if the mod you're combing this with doesn't use a modified CvReligionScreen.py (for "python") or GameFont.tga and GameFont_75.tga (for "res") then you can also just copy those folders as is.

CvReligionScreen.py just gives some extra space in the religion advisor for my longer named religions, so if you don't use it the only problem will be some names running into each other.

The GameFont files are a bigger pain if you need to combine them. You'll have to paste my religion icons into the other mod's GameFont files (or vice-versa). I explained how I edited them earlier in this thread.

No worries Alulim, I almost missed this post myself!

Great to see the mod back, I love playing the good old Valks. Keep up the great work, really brings a new aspect to religion methinks. Quick question though, I downloaded the mod, activated "ModularLoading" in the .ini file. However, after placing the mod's files within the Custom Assets folder, alongside Future War Epic, it seems like the changes are taking....

Anything I need to do to get stuff working?

It seems that you can't load modules from CustomAssets. I'm not sure if that's a bug or if that's what Firaxis intended, but for now you need to put all your modules in a mod folder and load that mod.

I had it set up as "Mods\Alt Religions", but any mod folder will do.

Fantastic Mod. Played it and experienced a strong AI useage.
Ideas
- Earliest religion might offer +2 food per city instead of science. That way a civ is forced to change religions later.
- I think one or two religions should increase great general development somehow.
- Mostly, I think the religions should be interactive in that some get along better than others. Not a big change, but enough to make religion an active and dynamic choice. (I did not notice any civs changing religions in your mod.) For example, polytheism is disliked by monothesistic religions. A naturalist religion (e.g. ezbolism) gives a civ a little diplomacy boost (+2) to everyone but lesser benefits.
- What if AI vassals had to convert, or had a strong tendency to do so? Didn't see that happen.
-Last, the names are hard to link to the nature of the religion and its benefits.
Anyway, my ideas aside, you need to get the word out more about this mod. SO much better. Thank you.

How well does this mod merge with Orion's Inquisition Mod? I don't think that there is any overlap, as there is little in the mod that details any specific religion, but I just wanted to make sure.

I like this mod idea, but it seems to be incompatible with my BtS 3.19.

I try loading it on its own, as well as part of compilation mods. I've turned modular loading on, yet it still doesn't load. What gives?

Sorry if this seems like a noob post, but I am fairly new to this type of mod.

Top Bottom