Mod community, assets, unit creation, cultural unit variation

JimmyMcGill

Chieftain
Hi all. Just to preface, I find CIV VI with the expansions a fun game, and now the SDK is available it is more accessible to modders. My problem is, I don't own the game on Steam so I can't access the art assets. I have however found a copy of the SDK elsewhere which has enabled me to some limited exploring into ModBuddy and following some tutorials here. I am also familiar with unit creation and enjoy the hobby. Creating mods I get held up whenever the tutorial calls for the Asset Editor, which I can not use because I don't have the assets/pantry. So it is slow going...

Spoiler image :
upload_2021-5-15_18-32-13.png

So ideally I would like to chat with other modders who are familiar with adding units to the game, and people who know what variation is needed so I can create units that are missing. I will probably buy the game on Steam when there is a sale, then I can make complete mods, or at least provide better assets to the community here to code into their own mods. Otherwise I can make units to the best of my ability, upload and hopefully others can test it in game and add to diversity mods.

I can see from the work of Deliverator converting units from IV and V, and many others (Gedemon, Sailorcat etc) that the game has a lot of potential for modders to make a complete and polished, immersive game with every play being an exciting experience exploring the different diversity for each civ.

So for now I will just make units with the assets available here, and if there are needed diversity or people have ideas for units, let me know here and we can work to fill the gaps. Maybe I can make do without the Asset Editor and get some mods working for people to use.

:c5happy:

Welcome to Civ Modding! :)

Maybe i can help you a bit with advice, if needed.

Ok, I'm kinda looking for someone who can test/build an occasional unit. I'd just like to see them working ingame so then I can continue making more knowing that what I'm uploading isn't a complete mess. !!! Don't test the one I already uploaded !!! I think it will be a mess and require too much/ waste time. Not sure how to delete that upload. It's also made in old civ style. I've been looking at CIV 6 units and I have grown used to them. I didn't realise they were so high poly either.

I can't access any animations either. Only custom ones from here. I think they are a light filesize? V is only 83MB. I think having those would be a big help.

Geometry and just Unit textures from the pantry would be a big help. But it may be a large filesize so I'm afraid to ask.

I noticed you have a diversity mod in your Downloads. :c5happy: I'm not so familiar with CIV VI yet. I only played a couple games so I'm unfamiliar with what units are needed. I don''t want to be making unit doubles when other stuff is lacking,

Also, did you write the Blender tutorial? I may need some advice if I get stuck on something. I've never used it before, kind of hard to get around in. Starting to be ok with it now, so here's hoping.

~

Oh and I know you only said advice, so just advice is good too.

Last edited:
Bad news first: I cannot send you stuff from the Pantry, and i guess if you really want to start modding Civ 6 Art, then it is obvious that you would need the Steam Version of the game, at least thats what i am thinking.

Yep, that Integrating a custom model to Civ6 Tutorial is written by me, if you mean that Tutorial.
I would like to give you advice of course, that should not be a problem.

Yeah it's kind of ridiculous not having it available. I just can't afford a $90 game that I already have, as good as the game is. One day, yes. My back up plan is using the assets from V to make units since Deliverator already converted them, animations included. I may have better luck then.

My last attempt I think I also had two Roots unlike in your tutorial you just had "Root" ~

upload_2021-5-23_0-5-12.png

I think Root02 was for the rifle? I probably just made a mistake along the way.

If you could share what you know about exporting a correct .CN6 that could help me a lot. I mean one that won't crash Nexus 6.

I totally understand the problem with the money, its just that if you are planning to make more than just one unit, it would be difficult for several reasons, but i think you already know that. Anyways. About the Root-thing i need more information, what have you done so far? Have you deleted the Armature/Skeleton or is it still there? if it is still there, you should click on that empty field, as the tutorial explains, and select „Root“.
„Root“ is the name of the Armature/Skeleton, so if you do not have a Root to select, that would mean that you either renamed or deleted the Armature, which would be bad. I also think there should not be a second „Root“ in the blender scene. A second Root would cause export errors, as far as i remember (have not exported a model from Blender for use in Civ6 for a long time now.

I shared all of the steps needed for the whole process in that tutorial. :)

Would be good if you could tell me what you have done so far.

Oh yes, I have gone back to working on the model and textures, I'll keep the head and hands as separate mesh now I better understand the system used in VI for culture variation so when I'm happy with that I'll go back to the start of your tutorial and work from there. Hopefully no problems next time~

I'll keep you updated here with specifics and details if I get stuck. If I manage to work it out by myself I'll also post here and then you could inspect it ? Because I can't build in ModBuddy without the assets or asset editor. Then if everything is working with this unit, I can just work on units and parts so other creators can build them into their own mods.

When I do finally get the steam version I will have a head start with custom assets have the know-how to jump straight in and provide mod packs instead of just units and parts.

Last edited:
Sounds good!

Yeah, for this one single unit i would offer to build it and test it then ingame. But not for a second time. I do not have the time, unfortunately.

Thank you! That's great and is a big help + motivation. I'll get stuck back into it!

Top Bottom