Mod Component Requests Thread

I hope this isn't to ambitious of a request but... what if the mini map would look different based on techs, civics, knowledge of the map and religion. The game would make assumptions and guess as to what the real map looks like, for example, Europe would look like one land mass if you didn’t know of the Mediterranean sea or if explorers were looking for China and they found North America they would assume it's much bigger than it really is.

Dismiss this if it's to impossible.

I have many requests and the requests are more like suggetions that I would like to see integrated into a mod/mod component. I am not great with computers and I doubt I could even combine mod components into a mod, even with guidance. Therefore, not out of laziness but instead for the cause of improving mods for everyone, someone PLEASE make this mod. Anyway, these are the things I would like to see

1. A Very simple, limit the number of units per square to about 4. This is to prevent giant stacks from just steamrolling everyone because in real life you just can't fit that many divisions in one place.

1. B Directional fortificaton (most important for me and for many war mongerers) So far I have yet to see anyone implement or even suggest this but it has sooo much potential value and I'm sure some of the better modders can make it. Basically it's just choosing a direction to fortify in, per se, a 50% defense bonus in that directon . However, attacks on the side (i.e. flanking) gets a good bonus. This is to make lines of defense (i.e. the maginot line) have some value, even if it is not alot (and yes I know the maginot line failed). To me, merely fortifying cities with troops is stupid and unrealistic because in conventional wars, most battles are fought outside cities, and with the current design of Civ 4 almost none are. Also, for units that just used up all the movement points, they can pick the direction they're facing for no bonus but attacks on the flacks are devastating, as they are in real life.

1 C. Wartime movement restriction During war (and only when another countries unit is actually on your territory) motorized units move just as fast on their roads as they do in enemy territory. In real life, you don't move significantly slower in enemy territory. Railroads shouldn't count for motorized units because why does moving a tank on a railroad make it go faster? This facilitates Blitzkrieg because making an initial breakthrough actually means something as enemies struggle to catch up once they are passed.

2. Military Control During war, once your unit occupies a plot of land it is yours until the other countries unit reoccupies it, even if your unit has moved because in real life a division leaves a small amount of troops in areas it conqoured to control the population, small enough so that it doesn't affect the force of the original division or pose a threat to an enemy division. This way you can set up supply lines and can cut off enemy supply lines.

3. Supply lines Combined with 2 it can make supply lines a very important concept in the game. All units have a supply of amunition and mechanical have a supply of gasoline. The use of ammunition is determined by how much the unit fights and gasoline consumption is determned by movement.

4. Realistic Resources I think people have mods like this where the amount of resources you have is not just you have it or you don't. Additionally, I think units and buildings should take up amounts of the resource, for example making one tank takes up one point or so of steel. The idea of food should dissapear and instead it should be different levels of corn, wheat, etc (except for supplying units and then food is just the cumulitive of everything). Also, techs should let you make certain types of farms or pastures depending on the the latitude (for example you can't grow banannas in Canada). To me it seems completely ridiculous that in the modern age you cant pick where you grow your corn. Lastly, you should be able to trade different amounts of all resources to other nations.

5. Cities and Work points Get rid of placing people on population squares because thats stupid (why should someone living in a mine be able to make buildings quicker for you). Instead, you just have a few professions: farmer (make food points) worker (work points) doctor (health). The number of each profession you can have in a city is based on certain things, for example the number of workers you can have is based upon how many factories you have.

6. Fortifications and Military Bases There should be new fortifications like pillboxes or other things that give units fortified more bonuses. Permanant artillery should also be available. Also, there should be an option to make something called a military base that requires a lot of work. It can hold aircraft and can be named, and function much like cities except there is no population, it cant make things, and has no surrounding area like cities do. You name them and you can also trade them in diplomacy. I think someone already has done this but I'm not sure.

7. Specialized Units Basically I'm tired of one unit dominating the game because there is no adequate counter. There needs to be more antitank infantry and artillery. Another way to do this is that whenever a unit is created it can pick one speciality that gives it a HUGE bonus, not just the horsehockey bonus that exists now. For example, you can make an infantry unit and give it a promotion that makes gives it say a 60% chance against the contemporary tank, and its much cheaper. However, each unit can only have one specialty, not like how it is now. The amount and type bonus depends on the unit, for example tanks don't get very good specialty bonus because, for one thing, tanks themselves aren't specialized: there is not anti-tank tank that isn't good against infantry.

8. Artillery I think the whole idea of artillery needs to be reworked. First, give it a real sentry move that attacks anything that moves in it range, or is trying to move in its range. For example, if you have line of defense and you have artillery in the square behind, units that attack the line automatically get hit by artillery. This makes artillery a weapon not just for offense.

The combination of all these modifications would make mods sooo great and realistic. Blitzkrieg, my favorite type and best type of warfare, actually can be implemented, while still allowing defense to work well.

sangeli, if you haven't tried any of the fort mods, I suggest you try one of those while waiting for someone to do the mod you requested. I like Jeckel's Zone of Control mod (he's done others), but it suits my play style best. I found those waves of attacks with stacks of six to eight units a bit of problem to say the least. Also I hated having my cottage squares destroyed after having invested so much time in them. You can strategically place the forts and they are very effective.

I love "Rhyes and fall's Civilisation" for BTS but I think it could use more. I think more civs and a bigger tech tree would be great! Could someone please make one???

I've done some reacherch and I though it would be great to put RFC++ onto BTS :bts: . I would do it my self but I don't know how so all I can do is offer my help (warning: I've never done any moding).
Thanks
:thanx:

I'm looking for a very simple mod to duplicate an effect found in older Civs. If someone could make a mod that makes the Satellites technology remove the fog of war, I'd be much obliged. Of course if someone can tell me how to do this myself, or an existing mod that has this, that'd be just as good.

Here's a mod request:

In order to make any Medic promotion work, a path along roads/railroads to a city of your civilization is needed.

This basically models supply lines in an extremely simple fashion. If you're in enemy territory, you need to be able to trace a road/railroad to any home city in order to heal your units...

An idea for added options at game start-up:

Just like we can have randomized leaders so we can play Gandhi of the Mongols, or even do random leader, random civ, I want to be able to select my unique unit and my unique building at the beginning of the game...

A drop-down with the following options would be cool for both unit and building:
1. Default for selected civ
2. Random
3. You select the one you want from the drop-down list.
And it would be nice if you can select for the AI opponents, too...I'd like to see the Native Americans make better use of their Totem Poles by giving them an archery UU...and giving the Spanish Citadel more power by giving Spain access to the Korean Hwacha. Or giving the Fast Worker to an expansive civ to see how well they make use of it...

I know this can be done by editing XML files, but I was hoping it could be made into a menu option. By editing XML, I could give everybody the same UU or UB. But in the drop-down menu it should limit each UU to one civ only and each UB to one civ only.

How about an patrol function? Make an submarine or something go from and back on an coast line...

I like this one and have wanted it for awhile. So far I've just been using multiple go-to actions. At least on land I've decided I can set up a sentry net of spies to keep an eye on things. A spy in your own or in neutral territory is invisible to the enemy :)

ok i dont know if anyone has done this but i want the city view screen from civ 3 where you can see a layout of the city and the palace feature where you upgrade it after certain cultural milestones from civ 3 back as well

I have both expansions

I have three requests

1. Directional Fortification - You choose the direction you want your troops to face and thus get a bonus when an attack comes from that direction
2. Military Control - During war, whenever one of your military units occupies an enemy territory, the territory is yours until the enemy occupies it again, even if you moved your original unit occupying it.
3. Ammunition - like the unit fuel mod but with ammunition, and thus is for all gunpowder units, tanks, etc, and uses iron and copper instead of oil.

Is anybody able to code that privateers (only privateers) will generate a small sum of money (about 10-20 Gold) each time they destroy another ship? The main purpose of privateers in real history was to bring in money to the states treasure, while ingame they are a litle bit useless, because the AI doesn't care much about naval invasions. Perhaps there could also be a small chance (about 10%) to generate a new privateer, if your privateer is victorious...

So the game keeps track of a civilization's total population via the demographics screen, right?

Would it be possible to keep track of civilian casualties sustained in a war?

I don't have any scripting experience, but I figure it would work like this: At the start of a war, the game records a civilization's population. Then, when peace is declared, grabs the updated population number for that civ. Subtract the second number from the first one, and display a pop-up that informs the player of how many civilians were killed on both sides.

I got curious in one of my games and tracked the numbers by comparing city sizes before and after wars. Over three wars, 6 million Russian, 11 million Spanish and 40 million French citizens died. Thought it was interesting.

I would like to see a mod that makes it so that you don't play as one leader the whole game (your leader would simply be represented by your nation's flag or something that symbolizes your civilization like in some mods I've seen), and political leaders would arise autonomously through either events or emergence of great/ people (maybe as a great artist or possibly make an entirely new set of great people, such as: politicians and great politicians?) and they would affect things for a turn or more, such the likeliness of something happing, like the emergence of anger/ happiness or the efficiency of production/ commerce/ food or foreign relations or could even completely realign your civics? The politicians could also affect your civilization differently depending on your selection of civics, for instance, it could affect the likeliness of having an unwanted leader brought into power. If you're using the monarchy civic, the likeliness of getting an unwanted leader is a 75% chance, but if you're using the representation civic, the likeliness of getting an undesired leader would be 25%. Some random ideas. . . I'm not sure how possible some of these are though, but I think it would be interesting and more realistic this way.

Hi

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right section but here goes.

I have searching the forum threads and google in general and I cannot find a mod that would add 2 technologies that were in CTP2 :

- Magnetic Levitation (that would allow the creation of a maglev track. Like an advanced railroad reducing the mobility points required by move on them )
- Underwater Tunneling (that would allow the creation of "La Manche Tunnel" to be built on the sea between land masses)

I mean these 2 tech are not futuristic at all. China allready has a maglev train and well the La Manche Tunnel is operational right now. These would be so usefull specially when playing on huge size maps.

Thank you for your time

Edit : Or...somebody could point to me the programs to use and tutorials to read to build a MOD with these 2 techs in them.

I did a couple of years in computer science in university and I know (at least knew) Java rather well.

Any help would be nice.

Thank you for your time

I want to know if the following has been done already, if so, can someone point me in the right direction. If not please consider it a request.

I would like more realistic choices based on your Civ's culture when founding a religion. I personally dislike The Incan Empire founding Christianity or Islam.

Instead each Civ has a preference when discovering a tech that founds a religion. It would require More religions triggered by the same 7 techs (so 7 religions is still the maximum and all religions would not appear in every game).

So each triggering tech would give Civ's a preference from the following list (not necessarily a complete and final list);

Zoroastrianism
Judaism
Hinduism
Buddhism
Paganism
Shamanism
Animism
Spiritualism
Taoism
Shintoism
Confucianism
Shi'a Islam
Sunni Islam
Sufism
Roman Catholicism
Orthodox Christianity
Protestantism
Anglicanism
Sikhism
The Bahá'í Faith
Jainism

So for example the Incan Empire may have the following four religions as preferences - Shamanism, Animism, Spiritualism and Paganism. After that a random religion is founded.

The English may choose from; Protestantism, Anglicanism, Roman Catholicism, Orthodox Christianity and Paganism.

I feel this would add to a more realistic game? You would of course still be able to spread your religion!

I like to request a modcomp that allows units to switch graphics when a new era starts like cities/buildings do now.

If possible, preferably by an xml method. If not, well, I'll take it. ;)

A few ideas which may have already been proposed...I didn't read through everything...and keep in mind I'm not a programmer so I don't know which of these ideas are doable and which aren't. Thanks.

1. Friends and enemies alike should be able to enter water tiles within your cultural borders, regardless of open-border agreements, until a specific tech is researched BY YOU. My suggestion for this is Optics. So if you have Optics and your "friend" does not, you can enter their water squares without an open-border agreement and without declaring war, but they can't do the same to you. And vice versa if they have Optics and you don't. And if nobody has Optics, then all water tiles are fair game for travel. Battle conditions would still remain the same (you need to be at war to engage in combat, except for Privateers).

2. Open border agreements shouldn't automatically extend to air units. Nations should be required to sign an additional open air agreement. Stealth air units should ignore the requirement for an open air agreement. An open-air agreement should be signed with pre-flight civilizations, as well. Ignoring them shouldn't declare war automatically, but should come with an attitude adjustment...open air agreements should be required between nations once BOTH nations have discovered Flight.

3. As the manual for BtS states, if you have enough of an Espionage advantage over an opponent, then their spies cannot enter your territory. As far as I know, this feature doesn't work...it would be neat, though...

4. Civ should be able to read my mind and know when I am hungry, and then replicate a pizza and transport it directly to me...maybe make this part of the Star Trek mod? ;)

5. New building - Naval base (or maybe give some of these functions to the Drydock, instead of a new building)
Pre-req. tech: ??
Functions: All tiles within that city's cultural border should get +x% bonus vs. naval units (I suggest +10% bonus). This should apply to attack and defense. And maybe (not sure how popular this might be), a naval base can take free pot-shots vs. adjacent enemy naval units (remember Coastal Fortresses?). And in addition, Naval base should have an x% chance of detecting submarines within its cultural borders (I suggest 10% chance). City can draft naval unit (this feature shouldn't be available until later in the game, maybe after Industrialization or even later, and even then only for a weaker oil-based naval unit).

6. New building - Air base
Pre-req tech: ??
Functions: Faster air-unit production and/or air units get additional XP. Increased combat bonus vs. air units within the city's cultural borders. City can draft air unit (a weaker Fighter unit maybe?)

7. New building - Army base (Or maybe give this as an additional function of a Military Academy, making the M.A. more useful for those who like Nationalism)
Pre-req. tech: ??
Function: Drafted ground units in this city get the same XP a unit built in the city would get, not half.

Hello,

I just want one simple thing.....the ability to play with all the available Civs and have colonies on the Huge map. Thanks.

Top Bottom