• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Mod crashes in tech screen

HorseSoldier

Retrofit this....
Working on a mod using the RAR tech tree with some of my changes to it - everything else is mine. All the Medieval techs have been added in the editor. Game loads ok. Build my first city and go to Ancient tech ok. But when I go to Medieval Tech screen I get a crash error msg:

File not found

"85"

about half of the techs on the page are displayed and again, I know they are all in the editor. Searched for 85 and "85" in pedia and pedia icons with no result.

Thanks mightily for any help as I don't have a clue here........

It's most likely a problem with either a tech icon or an error in your pediaicons file that's causing the crash. Possibly one of your tech icons (or possibly more than one) is either the wrong size or in the wrong display format. Try checking this also: start a new game and before you go to the tech screen, go to your civilopedia and to technologies and scroll down through them, and see if the game crashes. If will most likely crash here as well if it's a problem displaying an icon.

Possible solution #1:
When you added the tech icons to the 'pediaicons' text file you might have made a slight error, or accidently moved or erased something.
Make sure all the small icon references look something like this:

#TECH_Advanced_Flight
Art\tech chooser\Icons\00-AdvancedFlight-small.pcx
#TECH_Alphabet
Art\tech chooser\Icons\01-alphabet-small.pcx
#TECH_Amphibious_Warfare
Art\tech chooser\Icons\02-AmphibiousWarfare-small.pcx

Make sure that the '.pcx' is added at the end of the icon name, and make sure that the icon name matches exactly what the icon file is called in the 'Art\tech chooser\Icons\' folder. Also, make sure that the location and name of the tech icon are all on one line, and you don't have something like this:
#TECH_Future_Warfare
Art\tech chooser\Icons\85
-FutureWarfare-small.pcx
#TECH_Alphabet
Art\tech chooser\Icons\01-alphabet-small.pcx

As with the small, make sure all the large icon references look something like this:

#TECH_Advanced_Flight_LARGE
Art\tech chooser\Icons\00-AdvancedFlight-large.pcx
#TECH_Alphabet_LARGE
Art\tech chooser\Icons\01-alphabet-large.pcx
#TECH_Amphibious_Warfare_LARGE
Art\tech chooser\Icons\02-AmphibiousWarfare-large.pcx

Again, make sure of the things I listed for the small icons.

Possible solution #2:
Make sure all new or altered icons are in the correct display format. The large and small icons need to both be .pcx files with 256 colours. In addition either the first two or last two colours in the palette need to be unused in the picture. They are called 'transparency colours'. Whether the transparency colours are either the first two colours in the palette or the last two depends on the paint program you use. Just load up an icon in your favourite paint program and check the palette. The two transparency colours are usually a bright pink and a bright green, but they can be any colour as long as they're not used in the picture. Most likely you just need to make sure the pics are not .jpg or .bmp or something like that, just making sure they are .pcx files, and making sure they're 256 colours, and your icon should probably display and not cause a crash, even if your transparency colours are in the picture. Those can be fixed after.

If neither of these possible solutions solves your problem, then if possible please upload a copy of your pediaicons text file and your biq. file here and I'll take a quick look at them and see if I can spot any obvious error in either of them.

I hope that the above helps solve your problem. :) I know that it's really annoying when a mod's crashing and you can't figure out the problem.

Working on a mod using the RAR tech tree with some of my changes to it - everything else is mine. All the Medieval techs have been added in the editor. Game loads ok. Build my first city and go to Ancient tech ok. But when I go to Medieval Tech screen I get a crash error msg:

File not found

"85"

about half of the techs on the page are displayed and again, I know they are all in the editor. Searched for 85 and "85" in pedia and pedia icons with no result.

Thanks mightily for any help as I don't have a clue here........
Open your biq with my editor. In the tech page, select all the techs in the tech list, then right click the list, select "check files".

Unselect the tech. Techs that could have a problem in the pediaicons should be in red.

You can do the same with buildings, units.

It doesn't work 100%, as sometimes it says there is an error when there's none, but it can help.

Well... um,... yeah. Forget what I said and follow Steph's much easier suggestion.:)

Found it...........

Had the pedia tech icon listed as "ERA" when it should have been listed as "SINGLE" -
I changed the (picture in) buildings.PCX (basically from an ERA to a SINGLE) earlier but spaced out the rest of the necessary change. Software takes no prisoners - Garrrrr me hardies ................
I love this game...

and all of this community
Thank you for your responses

4 months on this mod -- 'prolly 2 to go ------------- can't wait to play

P.S. Steph: Can't run your editor as I am Running Windows ME (Framework not supported)...
suggestions?

P.P.S. I LIKE ME !!!!! (Windows that is)

P.S. Steph: Can't run your editor as I am Running Windows ME (Framework not supported)...
suggestions?

P.P.S. I LIKE ME !!!!! (Windows that is)
If you prefer ME to XP, I suggest help from a professional :crazyeye:. Give me your address, and some nice guys with white clothes will come and take you where you can get it.

If you prefer ME to XP, I suggest help from a professional :crazyeye:. Give me your address, and some nice guys with white clothes will come and take you where you can get it.
Yes I'm thinking that it is time for a new computer (I cannot think of anyone that builds their own computers that would instal ME on a system).
Personally I am running windows 7 build 7100 and really enjoying it.

Found it...........

Had the pedia tech icon listed as "ERA" when it should have been listed as "SINGLE" -
I changed the (picture in) buildings.PCX (basically from an ERA to a SINGLE) earlier but spaced out the rest of the necessary change. Software takes no prisoners - Garrrrr me hardies ................
I love this game...

Ah, I didn't realize that you'd added/changed buildings, I thought from your original post that you meant you'd only added to/altered the actual techs themselves.

I'm glad that you got your issue solved.:)

Top Bottom