[MOD] Military Bases

Gunner said:
What happens when air units get experience? I thought that they didn't. Your mod has the air academy thing which is why I'm asking.
That is an excellent question. Basically I included the air bases for completeness sake. Also, once the SDK does come out someone may want to change the way the air units work so they are more like regular units. If that does happen then the air bases would be very useful, right?

Just loaded the Mod normally through the vanilla civ and started to play but it doesn't do what it is supposed to i.e. give exp. So I loaded the mod the way you said, by changing the config file, and then the sound went all crappy so didn't even play long enough to see if it gave exp. Was there something I missed or done wrong?

AljayBoy, I am in the middle of a modcomp update cycle, I am planning on releasing a new version of Military Bases in a few days.

Oh right cool, I'll just wait for the new version. My sound problem was nothing to do with your Mod (more of a younger sibling problem), anyway, cheers for reply.

Yah I'll wait too cuz this looks pretty good. Lopez your insane, you do a lot of sweet stuff here.

BTW, are there any ICBM launch site buildings? If not, that would be a good thing to possibly add to this package. Just a suggestion though.

thanks killerorange_27.

As for the ICBM launch site buildings, well, those would not be appropriate for this mod since it only provides Xp for units. I think the composite mod has them though.

I tried this mod and it does not work, the units do not receive xp.
Also, there is no picture for the Army base (just an Orange square).
I have the newest patch.

I played a whole game with this mod, and not once did a unit gain xp points (fortified in a City with an Army base for probably a 100 turns).

Nice idea though. If you develop this further, then try not to over complicate things (by adding additional conditions on how, why, who and where xp points are gained - sometimes less is more).

WT

p.s.
I would remove the Airbase, as it is pointless (air units do not have xp), and just confuses the 'user'.

I have removed the links to the mod since it needs to be redeveloped.

Alright guys, I finished revamping this mod... It is now compatible with the v1.61 patch and is now loaded with new features.

I like the new fetures. I see Great Options Mod in your sig, is there a thread for it and if not, what is the basic idea of that one?

Jeckel grins, I had thought so, thanx for the link i couldn't find it using the search. I am very much looking forward to it, my friends have already gotten tired of me talking about how cool all the mods together is going to be. ;>

I tried playing the Great Options mod which includes this mod. I didn't actually want this mod in the game (I just don't like the idea), but currently there's no way to disable it from the GOM. So I just left it in but didn't build any of the buildings.

I think that the AI did, however, and this crippled them severly. I noticed towards the end of the game that the 'helpful' nag screens came up telling me that such and such a city had a treasury full of gold, and that I should build a military base in order to increase output. Of course, the military bases are supposed to increase city upkeep costs, but it looks like the nagging advisor thought that they increased gold production.

I suspect that the AI players also acted on this mistaken belief, and it looks like it severly crippled Cyrus, and possibly also Victoria. Cyrus seemed to stop growing at around the same time that he would have got the techs required for these buildings. When I say stop growing, I mean he never built any more cities. He had 5 total, eventually 1 flipped to me, there was enough empty land to build at least another 5 cities right below his core 4, but he never did, not once. He also never advanced very far in technology - when I won the game in 1940 or so with a cultural victory, he was still using axemen in his cities. No joke.

Looking at the gold revenue graph at the end of the game was rather interesting. I had killed the Mongols early on, so they had a flat line at 0 for most of history. The interesting thing is, Persia's line was well below 0, at least -50 to -80, since about 100 AD or so, generally declining. I've never seen anything like that before, and I suspect it stems directly from the AI building these bases thinking they would work like banks to increase their money, but then they'd drain their income even further, so they'd build more to compensate. Lather, rinse, repeat. England also had negative income for the vast majority of the game, but I didn't really keep track of her cities because she was on a different continent to me. The other AIs seemed to be playing fairly poorly also, being quite a bit behind me in techs, which I hadn't seen to that extent before - usually they are only a few behind, or neck-and-neck with me. I handily won my cultural victory in the 1940's, using only 3 great artists in the entire game, with the enemy AIs only just getting up to industrial-era techs when I won.

This is mainly all just speculation, but the behaviour I saw in Persia was definately abnormal, and I think these bases are a fairly likely culprit.

Well, you'll be happy to hear that I am working on the next version of the GO, Core Edition that includes the missing on/off switches for military bases and snipers.

I think I know where I need to make the fix. I will fix the mod and release it with the next batch of mods. Thanks for reporting it.

Military Bases should be improvements, not buildings. Look at the real world. They are out in the country. And to model their function look at the base closure issue. Here's an idea. Military Bases are improvements that cost gold for maintenance, like as much as 3 units. They have no function other than eliminating maintenance costs of units placed on them. Thus the more units you stack in a base the more efficient it is. Strategic placement is important, since all your units will be stacked there instead of fortified in cities. And war will be expensive, because you take all your units out of bases and suddenly are paying for the units and the bases. And of course you will want the fewest possible bases.

Helicopters don't seem to be able to get experience from this mod. Is there anything I need to do in order to make it posssible for them to get experience?

edit:
I found my mistake I had set the airbases to false in the ini file. When I set it to true It works.

+1 for a Warlords update, please. :)

Tholish said:
Military Bases should be improvements, not buildings. Look at the real world. They are out in the country.

Not necessarily so. Prime example: Look at Nellis AFB, right on the outskirts of Las Vegas. Or Barksdale AFB, LA which is right in the heart of Shreveport/Bossier City. There are actually quite a few US military installations located inside city limits. Trust me, I know. :)

Tholish said:
Here's an idea. Military Bases are improvements that cost gold for maintenance, like as much as 3 units. They have no function other than eliminating maintenance costs of units placed on them. Thus the more units you stack in a base the more efficient it is. Strategic placement is important, since all your units will be stacked there instead of fortified in cities. And war will be expensive, because you take all your units out of bases and suddenly are paying for the units and the bases. And of course you will want the fewest possible bases.

Seems like a neat idea, but what about Naval bases? :confused:

Perhaps these tile improvements could be used like the way they were in Civ3, where you have things like Airbases, etc. But they should be used in conjunction with the buildings within a city, not replacing them.

GraveEatr, I'll see what I can do about it. I am currerntly in the process of updating my warlords mods to be v2.0.8 compatible. If you want send me a PM with all of my mods you would like see converted to warlords.

Top Bottom