[MOD] Modified Special Domestic Advisor

@ 12monkeys

Great work. This improves things alot. Thanks! :goodjob:

This mod is superb! I cannot believe something like this wasn't included in the stock game. Well done!

I have a question about the free XP points per city in the military screen. Mine are consistently zero even with things like dry dock, barracks, vassalage etc. Is this what this is measuring? A city with a barracks should be registering at least 4.

Although I guess you would need a lot of columns since land units will sometimes receive more free XP than ships if a dry dock is missing and vice versa.

Just wondering, but excellent job!

Your interceptor mod is equally superb as well.

Addition:
A good amount of the first few columns of the military screen do not respond - it's not just the stuff above. I just finished playing extensively with it today. War weariness does not register and neither does experience as outlined above.

Thanks for the mod, I'm enjoing it a lot.

I have included the text in spanish in case some one is interested in.

Regards

Attachments

• CIV4ModSpecDomAdvisorInfo_spanish.zip
    13.7 KB · Views: 241
Sorry beeing so quiet the last time, but I have been abroad to work for some days and after I return I went ill. I will start to respond to some requests now :

Duke van Frost said:
... the tooltips in the City and Military screen have different icons for "unruhe" and "besatzung"....
I checked it and your right. It'll be fixed in the next version.

Duke van Frost said:
... Is it possible to use the "state religion" icon (the folded hands) as the icon for the priest instead of the "happy" icon ...
Its possible and will be implemented in the next version. Thx for that good idea.

Duke van Frost said:
... And you could use the "angry people" icon for the citizen instead of the "bullet" ...
I had a long and hard discussion with myself ;) and found it as a better symbol than the bullets. Will be implemented in the next version.

Duke van Frost said:
... Can one use the icon from "automate - no city growth" from the city screen for "growth" instead of the red one??
I'll make it short, because a detailed explanation of the "why" is quite complex : it might be possible but I will not even try to do it, because its very likely that this will be sideffects on the linespacing. I have to reduce all icons within texts and the grid to the icons you can found in the "GameFonts.TGA" file.
Anyway, thanks for the idea.

Patricius said:
... have you thought of adding a "rush buy" button ...
I though about it and decided not to implement it. I simply don't like the idea. As Cammagno already mentioned, you have the button available as soon as you select the city in the grid.

sahkuhnder said:
Great work. This improves things alot. Thanks!
Thx!

_alphaBeta_ said:
This mod is superb! I cannot believe something like this wasn't included in the stock game. Well done!
Thx! I agree, that the advisors are very poor in the stock game. Especially the Domestic and the Military Advisor.

_alphaBeta_ said:
I have a question about the free XP points per city in the military screen. Mine are consistently zero even with things like dry dock, barracks, vassalage etc. Is this what this is measuring? A city with a barracks should be registering at least 4.
I simply use the Python function CyCity.getFreeExperience() which is provided with the Python API. I did check it again and found out, that this function only returns a value unequal to zero, if the city has the "West Point Acadamy". I also found out, that there are more versions for this function. In total there are one for each of the following objects : City, Player, Civic and Building. That means, I did choose the wrong way to calculate the value. Don't understand why I didn't noticed that during testing. A simple approach for a solution would be, to sum all of those values, but that may be confusing if a city has baracks and a drydock. This would result in the value of 8 instead of 4. The only solution is to create seperate columns for each domain, but this would eat up some space in display. Does anybody else have a good idea???

_alphaBeta_ said:
Just wondering, but excellent job!
Your interceptor mod is equally superb as well.
Thx. For both!

_alphaBeta_ said:
Addition:
A good amount of the first few columns of the military screen do not respond - it's not just the stuff above. I just finished playing extensively with it today. War weariness does not register and neither does experience as outlined above.
Mmmh. Not a very precise statement, to be honest. Can you pe more specific where the problem is, please? Maybe post a screenshot or send me a savegame.

Alek_civ said:
Thanks for the mod, I'm enjoing it a lot.
I have included the text in spanish in case some one is interested in.
Thx for both. The translation will be added to the next release. May I can contact you for further translations?

Patricius said:
... have you thought of adding a "rush buy" button ...

12Monkeys said:
I though about it and decided not to implement it. I simply don't like the idea. As Cammagno already mentioned, you have the button available as soon as you select the city in the grid.

I understand...Iwasn't so sure anyone else would like it. However, I just want to make my idea clear...This hypothetical button would be available without clicking the city...Cammagno's objection I understand...but I would liek to be able to Click Click Click... and all the places I want rushed are rushed.

Thanks for at least considering it,

Patricius

12monkeys said:
I simply use the Python function CyCity.getFreeExperience() which is provided with the Python API. I did check it again and found out, that this function only returns a value unequal to zero, if the city has the "West Point Acadamy". I also found out, that there are more versions for this function. In total there are one for each of the following objects : City, Player, Civic and Building. That means, I did choose the wrong way to calculate the value. Don't understand why I didn't noticed that during testing. A simple approach for a solution would be, to sum all of those values, but that may be confusing if a city has baracks and a drydock. This would result in the value of 8 instead of 4. The only solution is to create seperate columns for each domain, but this would eat up some space in display. Does anybody else have a good idea???
I simple Yes/No indicator (does the city provide experience?) is the basic, simple, solution.
Another one is to just focus on land units (which is the most used variant) and give the total for these.
And finally, the difficult one: One column for each (land, naval, air).

12monkeys said:
Thx! I agree, that the advisors are very poor in the stock game. Especially the Domestic and the Military Advisor.

Yes, the MA does need some improvement... any hope you'll think about it? It'd be wonderful! :blush:

12monkeys said:
A simple approach for a solution would be, to sum all of those values, but that may be confusing if a city has baracks and a drydock. This would result in the value of 8 instead of 4. The only solution is to create seperate columns for each domain, but this would eat up some space in display. Does anybody else have a good idea???

I think that, if possible, the best solution will be to have 2 columns, one for land units and the other one for sea units.

12monkeys said:
Mmmh. Not a very precise statement, to be honest. Can you pe more specific where the problem is, please? Maybe post a screenshot or send me a savegame.
By first few columns I was referring to these: "NO_MILITARY_ANGER", "WAR_WEARINESS" & "FREE_EXPERIENCE" :

The XP issue is already being discussed. Personally, I would like to see two columns for land and sea XP coming from buildings, civics and wonders. That would be extremely handy. If there's no room, how about a blanket field to tell you how many experience points are coming from just wonders & civics? It's easy enough to find out where the barracks and dry docks are from your building screen. What's annoying to keep calculating is wonders and civics.

My other issue was war weariness columns identified above. If I have war weariness in cities, the icon doesn't change, and the value is always zero. I like how it's supposed to calculate weariness even when not at war, that takes the guesswork out of it. But even when at war, with definite war weariness in the city screens, nothing shows for me.

12Monkeys, great job! Advisor, which you can really use!

But last time I found a small bug:

1. open Domestic advisor (F1),
2. check which city produces most hammers, click on header with hammer so it will sort number of hammers each city produces,
3. click on one of cities (enter the city screen) just to check it out,
4. exit the city screen, you are back in domestic advisor screen,
5. click on hammer in header to sort again - sorting is in "alphabetic" way (0,105,23,3...) instead of "integer" way (0,3,23,105...)

However, way to go, 12M!

Taurus

Hi 12monkeys.

I cannot play without MSDA now. Thanks.

Bug or 'idiosyncracy'. If Igo into a city from MSDA then out (back to MSDA) then back to map, the city sounds persist over the map sounds. Go back into city from map then back out again. City sounds gone. Just me (idiosnycracy) or bug ?

Many thanks.

Is it somehow possible to modify the production list so that one can tell whether or not a given building or unit has begun construction as in has had added any hammers to its order?
The reason I ask is that I often make use of UF to rush buy things and adding just a few hammers to a given task significantly reduces the cost of rush buying.

Nials said:
Is it somehow possible to modify the production list so that one can tell whether or not a given building or unit has begun construction as in has had added any hammers to its order?
The reason I ask is that I often make use of UF to rush buy things and adding just a few hammers to a given task significantly reduces the cost of rush buying.

I tried to read out the production list and to display if a building has already been started. Unfortunatly there is only one working method which allows us to read out the production list elements and this method requires the city to be selected. If the city is not selected, there is currently no chance to get some details about the production list, other then the length of the production list.
So to get your infroamtion you have to select the city and go to the city screen., Started buildings are marked with an "*" at the end.

Pilotis said:
Hi 12monkeys.

I cannot play without MSDA now. Thanks.

Bug or 'idiosyncracy'. If Igo into a city from MSDA then out (back to MSDA) then back to map, the city sounds persist over the map sounds. Go back into city from map then back out again. City sounds gone. Just me (idiosnycracy) or bug ?

Many thanks.

Never noticed that. But it seems to be a problem of the game, because I don't deal with sounds in the advisor.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback :D

Taurus said:
12Monkeys, great job! Advisor, which you can really use!

But last time I found a small bug:

1. open Domestic advisor (F1),
2. check which city produces most hammers, click on header with hammer so it will sort number of hammers each city produces,
3. click on one of cities (enter the city screen) just to check it out,
4. exit the city screen, you are back in domestic advisor screen,
5. click on hammer in header to sort again - sorting is in "alphabetic" way (0,105,23,3...) instead of "integer" way (0,3,23,105...)

However, way to go, 12M!

Taurus

:blush:

I got that sorting issue already reported from apolyton and its on my todo list. Thanks for your help.

_alphaBeta_ said:
By first few columns I was referring to these: "NO_MILITARY_ANGER", "WAR_WEARINESS" & "FREE_EXPERIENCE" :

The XP issue is already being discussed. Personally, I would like to see two columns for land and sea XP coming from buildings, civics and wonders. That would be extremely handy. If there's no room, how about a blanket field to tell you how many experience points are coming from just wonders & civics? It's easy enough to find out where the barracks and dry docks are from your building screen. What's annoying to keep calculating is wonders and civics.

My other issue was war weariness columns identified above. If I have war weariness in cities, the icon doesn't change, and the value is always zero. I like how it's supposed to calculate weariness even when not at war, that takes the guesswork out of it. But even when at war, with definite war weariness in the city screens, nothing shows for me.

I think I will go for the two seperate columns. But final decision will be made very spontanously when I start to implement it ;)

Regarding war-weariness, I will have a look on it again. But anyway, I just call a Python function which returns a value which is presented by me. So, my possbile influence is poor in that case.

View attachment 117381Hum.

Actually had this a few times now. Hit F1 or button and 'donk'. Game over. Civ4 freezes and have to use Task Manager to crash to desktop. Only happens occasionally. Not had it with vanilla DA. I will still keep using MSDA - it's just too useful. But any comment or help appreciated.

(I've reduced colours to 16bit hence weird look.....)

P.

Pilotis said:
View attachment 117381Hum.

Actually had this a few times now. Hit F1 or button and 'donk'. Game over. Civ4 freezes and have to use Task Manager to crash to desktop. Only happens occasionally. Not had it with vanilla DA. I will still keep using MSDA - it's just too useful. But any comment or help appreciated.

(I've reduced colours to 16bit hence weird look.....)

P.

Strange. Never got reported such a problem. Will be hard to find a reason, because it only happens occasionally.
Do you have other mods installed as well? If so, which one?
Is the advisor panel, or any parts of the advisor displayed before the crash?

I don't see any MSDA screen when it happens. 'Donk' and out !
I also have the 'Exotic Foreign Advisor' installed (version 0.94) maybe I didn't co-install properly.......(?)

Another column that would be really useful for the city screen:

Base Production <-- the value that's displayed when you mouse over the production in the city screen. It's a raw add of the hammers in the city.

When trying to figure where to build anything fast, the regular hammer value currently displayed is misleading. This value takes into account the overflow and any bonuses applied, which may not apply to what you're trying to build.

Another use is when you want to build something like the heroic epic (+100% military production) in a city that consistently has the highest production. It's possible when looking at the current screen that you would select a city for a high value that was only because temporary overflow from a previous build.

Top Bottom