[MOD] Ten Colonies

Ten Colonies Ver 2.10 with PatchMod 1.07 by Rusty Gamer

A MOD for Civ4:Colonisation

The idea of this MOD is to make it hard, nigh on impossible to win the game with a small number of colonies.

I have comepletely revamped this from previous versionS, so forget about them.

A certain number of settlements are required before you may build certain buildings. See the table below.

Colonies Buildings
-------- ---------
1 dock, church
2 schoolhouse, stable
3 warehouse, carpenter's shop expansion
4 stockade, armory
5 blacksmith's shop, fur trading post, rum distillery, tobacconist's shop, weaver's shop
6 drydock, cathedral
7 college, ranch
8 printing press
9 fort, magazine
10 lumber mill

Most significantly, 10 colonies are required before you can begin building lumber mills. Since many of the more advanced and level 3 buildings require a lumber mill as a pre-requisite, this changes the game in a major way.

Also, once the war of independance is declared, you can no longer build lumber mills. This gives you only a certain window of time.

If you cannot remember all the building requirements while in a game, check the pedia.

Other changes:

All level 1 buildings now only allow 1 worker to begin with, with the exception of the town hall which allows 2. Level 2 buildings allow 1 more. This is an attempt to address the problem that level 3 buildings don't appear to be needed to win and thereby pushing colonists out to found new colonies rather than hanging around unemployed.

** NEW to 2.10 ** Production had been lowered for most buildings in 2.00. After some retrospect, this has now been changed back to the standard game level.
** NEW to 2.10 ** The newspaper (a level 3 building) now requires a lumber mill for consistency with other level 3 buildings.
** NEW to 2.10 ** The carpenter's shop now begins with only 1 worker.
** NEW to 2.10 ** A new building to replace the carpenter's shop, the carpenter's shop expansion, is avalable at 3 colonies or more, costs 50 hammers, and allows another worker.

Wagon trains, as well as the standard 40 hammers, now also require 25 horses. Furthermore, the hurry cost is now rediculously high (1000 times). This is to curtail what some see as an exploit of "infinite" cargo space.

Docks produce +2 fish as per usual, but dry docks now produce an additional fish (+3) and ship yards another one again (+4).

Copied AoD2 1.06 yield info for more balanced adjustments to markets.

Indentured servants, being more aware of their need for freedom than free colonists are, and being more religious (praying for freedom) now have +1 more than free colonists in producing liberty bells and crosses.

Pretty criminals, having more of a bent towards booze and violence, can produce +1 rum or musket more than free colonists.

The reasoning behind the last two is simply that it seems too predictable to just educate those below the free colonist level. Therefore I gave them some superior traits so that you have more strategic choices.

** PatchMod Version Only ** Treasure requires a cargo of 6 but takes up only a berth of 2.

Attachments

• Ten Colonies 2.10.zip
    51.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Ten Colonies 2.10 with PatchMod 1.07.zip
    9.8 MB · Views: 512
Great ideas. I was wondering about a victory condition mod that would force you to have 13 colonies before declaring independance.

I haven't taken a game far yet but it works well for the early game and I love what you are trying to do with this mod: there need more penalties for having only a few overgrown colonies.

What about something similar for printing presses & churches/cathedrals?

I thought maybe you need to build five churches before you can start building cathedrals etc.

Printing presses can currently be built right away. I suppose you could make it so you need five settlements first?
Newspapers, that replace printing presses, I should make require a lumber mill perhaps. I'm surprised it doesn't already.

Great ideas. I was wondering about a victory condition mod that would force you to have 13 colonies before declaring independance.

I don't like this idea. It's too easy to hit 13 colonies on a huge map, but near impossible on a tiny map.

You'd have to scale it to gamespeed too. :)

Just posted 1.10 with more building restrictions. See the OP.

Dale, there appears to be a bug when using iNumBuildingNeeded. Here is the code that is suppose to require 5 churches before a cathedral can be built.

Code:
<PrereqBuildingClasses>
    <PrereqBuildingClass>
        <BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_CHURCH</BuildingClassType>
        <iNumBuildingNeeded>4</iNumBuildingNeeded>
    </PrereqBuildingClass>
</PrereqBuildingClasses>
<BuildingClassNeededs>
    <BuildingClassNeeded>
        <bNeededInCity>1</bNeededInCity>
    </BuildingClassNeeded>
</BuildingClassNeededs>

That should mean 1 church required in the settlement you are building the cathedral plus 4 others. However, it appears that the colonisation program can't count!

When you look up Cathedral in the pedia from the Colonisation main menu it says that only 4 churches are required. OK, so it didn't count the one in the actual colony.

But when you actually start a game, it changes the entry to 6 churches required. Furthermore, that is what it enforces in the game! Like I said, the code isn't counting right.

If I drop iNumBuildingNeeded to 3, then the results are 3 (outside game) and 4 inside the game.

Furthermore, the higher up you set iNumBuildingNeeded the more inaccurate and it is.

I know the code worked fine in Civ 4 so what's going on? It looks like it hasn't been tested. The PrereqBuildingClasses clause was there so I know it was valid though it hadn't been used, so I took an example of it's use from Civ 4. In theory, it should work. Why doesn't it?

For my mod, currently I can make a restriction of 4 or 6 buildings as a prereq but not 5, which is what I really wanted. Can you help? Or have I done something wrong?

Hey, I was only suggesting 13 colonies as one victory condition, not the only victory condition. While I realize this is a new version of Colonization not Civilization, let's face it people do have different playing styles/strategies/map size preferences so it would be nice to have some different victory conditions.

Just posted 1.10 with more building restrictions. See the OP.

Dale, there appears to be a bug when using iNumBuildingNeeded. Here is the code that is suppose to require 5 churches before a cathedral can be built.

Code:
<PrereqBuildingClasses>
    <PrereqBuildingClass>
        <iNumBuildingNeeded>4</iNumBuildingNeeded>
    </PrereqBuildingClass>
</PrereqBuildingClasses>
<BuildingClassNeededs>
    <BuildingClassNeeded>
        <bNeededInCity>1</bNeededInCity>
    </BuildingClassNeeded>
</BuildingClassNeededs>

That should mean 1 church required in the settlement you are building the cathedral plus 4 others. However, it appears that the colonisation program can't count!

When you look up Cathedral in the pedia from the Colonisation main menu it says that only 4 churches are required. OK, so it didn't count the one in the actual colony.

But when you actually start a game, it changes the entry to 6 churches required. Furthermore, that is what it enforces in the game! Like I said, the code isn't counting right.

If I drop iNumBuildingNeeded to 3, then the results are 3 (outside game) and 4 inside the game.

Furthermore, the higher up you set iNumBuildingNeeded the more inaccurate and it is.

I know the code worked fine in Civ 4 so what's going on? It looks like it hasn't been tested. The PrereqBuildingClasses clause was there so I know it was valid though it hadn't been used, so I took an example of it's use from Civ 4. In theory, it should work. Why doesn't it?

For my mod, currently I can make a restriction of 4 or 6 buildings as a prereq but not 5, which is what I really wanted. Can you help? Or have I done something wrong?

I don't know, you will have to wait for someone with more modding knowledge than me, but it sounds like there is a built in scale for map size somewhere

Map size scale? I'm pretty sure it didn't do that in Civ 4 but I didn't play it enough to be sure. I wonder if it can be switched off. I tested it with standard map size so I'll check if the number changes with different sizes.

As regards this 13 colonies victory condition idea, it could be another victory condition in Custom Game, and you can actually specify the number of colonies for victory. Don't forget, if another European power (or even the natives?) get that number first, then they win instead.

You could (though this is getting slighty OT), also create an economic victory condition this way. Maybe you have to deliver a certain number of finished products to the king before the other European powers do.

ie: 2000 Tobacco and 2000 rum

but you could set the products and number yourself.

Question: Did you also adjust the price of muskets which depend on tools? :)

Top Bottom