ModCast Episode 60: "Filling Buckets"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Taking to give. The sixtieth episode of ModCast is now netcasting. Entitled "Filling Buckets" with a runtime of 53m22s, features regular co-hosts Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley, Jan "Janboruta" Boruta and Scott "AlphaShard" Dirk with first-time guest co-hosts Lee "LeeS" Shipp and "vicevirtuoso".

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 04m14s | Modding Spotlight
The beginnings and most recent works of Civilization V modder "vicevirtuoso" are discussed with the man himself; then, the same -- plus what more is in store -- to add to the collection of "LeeS"' works (13m36s).
- 32m25s | Cartography Room
From "JFD" and "Pouakai" comes the "Mercenaries" modification for CivV, and what this can mean for present and even past works for the game.
- 35m18s | Miscellaneous
Bringing out the wishlist for a Civilization VI for modding, beyond modding and back again.

ModCast is the first spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast; fellow sibling RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

LEES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I feel morally obligated to listen to this since it's partially voiced by - if he doesn't mind me calling him this - one of my "lua minions" who made Urartu possible
We'll see if he mentions me I guess (if he does it will probably be complaining about me being a pain)

I will say it was the most fascinating of the modcast episdoes yet to listen to :)

Dan did a great job with editing. I remember feeling afterward like I had just bounced all over the place and been horribly disorganized -- but with the magic of Dan's editing none of that really shows through.

Okay, so my after-listen comments:
1) LeeS' voice is WAY lower than I imagined,
2) VV's voice is WAY more 'murican than I imagined (for some reason I think his propensity for anime gave me the impression that he was Japanese and just happened to speak English really well or something like that),
3) I think the episode should've been called something like "when Shaka attacks".

As for my Civ6 wishlist... hm.
1) Lower turn processing time,
1.1) Actually, just lower everything time, if that's a viable thing to do from the coding perspective​
2) A more civ4-style world builder that
2.1) can be accessed in-game (I guess IGE has filled that void for us), and
2.2) Does not require me to select each tile individually and change it's features with drop-down menus. Seriously. Anyone who's ever used the Civ4 world builder knows that civ5's WB is probably at least 5 times slower. (Civ4's is more of selecting a terrain type as a 1x1, 3x3 or 5x5 brush and "painting" your terrain/feature selection onto the map) PLEASE FIRAXIS WHY YOU DO THIS TO US
2.3) WB not taking 15 minutes to have a 50% chance of actually loading would also be nice. WB on my computer almost always stops responding. :/​
3) Keep civ5 UAs,
4) Keep religion customization,
5) Specifically get rid of everything in this thread, and
6) Access to the graphic engine, I agree, would be nice, and
7) Actually make yield-related tables work with ALL yields, so we don't NEED stuff like Unified Yields!

I actually got into civ5 modding when I was sitting around in the civ5 forums giving suggestions in a thread on what would be cool to see in civ6. Now my wishes are more based from the coding perspective, you might have noticed. :p
I remember there was another idea in that thread that I still maintain would be awesome to see in any civ game... but I'll refrain from revealing because I intend to make a mod of it to be released on my next birthday. ;)
EDIT: Just conducted an extensive search of the forums and found the post that began my career in modding. I can now say that I've been a modder since August 7, 2013. If I cared, I would find out how many days that is and add it to my sig. :p

I think the episode should've been called something like "when Shaka attacks".
And raise his profile more? ;)

I will say it was the most fascinating of the modcast episdoes yet to listen to :)
:)

Dan did a great job with editing. I remember feeling afterward like I had just bounced all over the place and been horribly disorganized -- but with the magic of Dan's editing none of that really shows through.
Thank you kindly. :king:

This was actually really interesting, hearing the thought process behind how some of my favourite modders designed their respective mods.

On a side note, in respect to things to look forward to in Civ 6; I'd love to see modding become an easier thing, in all aspects. Especially with 3D modeling; I want to see creating a 3D leaderscene become an easier thing to accomplish, and have modding building and wonder graphics be possible, as well as custom effects for units.

3) I think the episode should've been called something like "when Shaka attacks".

I can't wait until they air "Shaka Week!"

Also, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person that refers to WHoward as "Who-ward" when it's clearly "W. Howard" :lol:

Oh. It is? Welp. I'm not a very bright man, haha.

At least I assume it's W. Howard based on the capital "H" rather than the lowercase "h" but I could be wrong. My brain still automatically reads it as "who" nonetheless.

I personally pronounced it like hoe-WAHRD until I starting reading his UI tutorials and noticed that they were authored by William Howard. Strangely, ne'er did it cross my mind to pronounce the first syllable like "who".

I suppose this just goes to show how many people actually look at the Author line of a mod ;)

And getting back on topic ...

My Civ6 top two wishes

1) A competent database cache mechanism (take a look at hibernate and ehcache)

2) Espionage from Civ:BE but moddable to add additional/alternative assignments

Top Bottom