1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

ModCast Episode 73: "Knock It Out of the Park"

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by DanQ, Oct 15, 2017.

1. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Home run. The seventy-third episode of ModCast, entitled "Knock It Out of the Park", is now netcasting. Lead co-host Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley is joined by fellow regular co-hosts "vicevirtuoso", John "Neirai", Lee "LeeS" Shipp with returning guest Sukrit "Sukritact" Tanticharoenkiat in this 35m49s outing.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 00m32s | Modder's Spotlight
    Recent Civilization VI works by the show's returning guest: the Swahili, prompting consideration of heavily faovuring coastal starts for a civilization, custom leaders of Siam and Ethiopia, and at length enter the Policy Manager modification.
    - 23m15s | Mailbag
    Responding to feedback first from Episode 71 and then, more substantively and in turn substantially, from Episode 72.
    - 26m01s | Code Corner
    The Application Program Interface (API) for CivVI is compared to Civilization V with focus on the former's modifier system versus programming language Lua in the latter, and Lua's presence otherwise in VI.

ModCast is the first spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast; fellow sibling TurnCast focuses on Civ multiplay.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  2. greyTiger

greyTiger Chieftain

Another great show. Was very interesting to hear from Sukritact and what tools he uses.

I think the feedback from experienced moders like yourselves would prove quite valuable to the author(s) of which ever mods you take a look at. :mischief:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  3. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:) -- thank you kindly.

4. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

Assuming Dan does not have to chop it out for the next episode (erm, that's all I'll spoiler).

We haven't really done excruciating code line-by-line reviews for any mods we've talked about this season, both because of time constraints and because it would probably bore the average listener to tedium.

5. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

But we should.

6. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

How many lines do you want ? :D

7. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

8. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Well, you know, that's exactly how I feel sometime when coming back on some part of my code a few months later, the worst part being when I've left some comments in the middle of it, and I do remember that this comment was explaining the whole chunk and was perfectly clear in my head when I've written it, but now... And of course when I come back to those parts of code, it's because I need to change it for new features... So then it's:

"ok, I've done it once, I can do it again, let's grab some coffee and let's find out how and why does this work"

but I learn, I change the comment, put it on multiple lines, hopping that I'll understand it next time I'll come back in that part of the code...

9. greyTiger

greyTiger Chieftain

Was not thinking code reviews, but more along the lines of possible additions or changes that would improve a mod. Or perhaps missed opportunities. etc