[MODCOMP] JTradeRoutes: An Improved Interface

Only 2 days left until next year and Jeckel may be back :p. This mod sure needs an update,

Yes, great ideas.

I have a suggestion of my own...

I normally have an army of wagon trains doing my bidding, but I don't know which train is doing what just by looking at them...they all look the same.

Perhaps, when I mouse over a train or ship assigned a route, I could get a little flag or window telling me what trade routes it has been assigned.

Or, if there was a way to differentiate between the same types of wagon trains or ships? E.G. Allow me to rename them or just put a number after each one as it's created/bought. Wagon Train1, Wagon Train2, etc...

Great work, btw, Jeckel. This mod has amazing potential.
-Jamis

Being able to rename a unit is built into the system; just click on its name on the game screen and it'll let you type whatever you want there. I've been re-naming my ships since forever, just to keep them straight.

Ok, I have some good news for the fans of this mod.

I have managed to get over the learning curve with the new Graphics Engine I'm working with in my RL project. Now I can settle into a normal routine of coding for the needs of the project and don't have to spend all my time experimenting and googling how to do things.

This leaves me with several free hours each week and, seeing as all my skills on EVE are taking 7 hours to 10 days, I've finnally getting back to this mod.

Main Issues Addressed in Next Version:
1: Some Routes not correctly identified as Land and/or Sea.
I think I know why this is happening and how to fix it.

2: The Graph Screen gets slower and slower the more turns you play.
This is my main goal at the moment. The problem is that I have to go through the arrays to draw the lines each time the screen is shown or change, and more turns means more time to loop through the lists.

I could draw the new lines at the end of each turn and just hide/show the correct lines when they need to be displayed, but I hate having hidden widgets taken up memory all the time when they are only used for a few minutes every now and then, bad mojo.

However, I think I have a very elegant solution. Recently I learned how to extend python with my own modules written in C. I'm thinking if I port the work of my looping code into a compiled pyd module then I should be able to get rid of alot of the lag on the Graph screen.

3: The lines on the Graph Screen go off the top when their values get large.
I will be adding two buttons that will allow you to zoom the Graph in and out, so if the lines go off the top you can zoom out and see all the lines again.

4: Trade Routes don't assign/unassign right after a Table is sorted.
I might be able to make it work with the sorting enabled, but if nothing else I will disable sorting of the various tables to remove the glitchy behavior.

If there are any other glitches or bugs that I haven't mentioned, please let me know, I'm not adding any new features this version though, save those for the version after this next one.

I don't have much free time, so no eta on the next version yet, but just wanted yall to know that I'm back on the case. :cool:

Seconded. This mod makes the game playable for me late game, simple as that. So much more fun when you can tweak/micro like this. Maybe I'm just obsessive :lol:

Hi, I don't know if this happend to anyone else, but I've got a case now where the mod incorrectly indentifies a land/sea route as land route only.

I can forward the savegame if that would help, if there is still development done on this that is.

Well same for me.
Jeckel begun some other project (other than civ/col that is). He might be back next year.

Ok guys, I thought I knew why this was happening, but I can't seem to recreate this bug. Could someone elaborate on when this shows up. Are the cities next to the Ocean or a Lake is my main question?

Jeckel, what version do you playtest? Dale has probably not changed anything of your code but good to be sure.

Only play AoD2, but have not tried traderoutes in a long time now. Because of the very long time to set up a good trade, it's easier to trade manually. Wich you would add the features to group traderoutes.

Jeckel, what version do you playtest?

Hmm, that got me thinking and maybe I already fixed that problem and I was just reading to far back in the thread looking for things to fix.

Anyway, I'm going to take that one off the list for now and if it shows itself I'll put it back on the list then.

I'm going to spend today working on the Graph page.

Hi Jeckel.

This is a great app but there is a problem with 'Assign Land Routes' (haven't tried sea routes EDIT see below) in the 'Transports' tab, but I think it's a prob with the vanilla Colonization engine - I saw it there as well. Anyway.

If you have more than 12 trade routes, when you go into the transports tab, select a wagon, then select 'assign land route', if you scroll past 12 trade routes from the top the assign/ un-assign button doesn't work.

This has been added to the know Glitches and I'm working on a fix. Thanx Pilotis.

I really like this mod. The poor traderoute management was a really turnoff for me.

However I noticed as I increase in number of colonies so does the number of possible traderoutes and the list ends up being really long, making it hard to keep track of all traderoutes and wagon trains. It's not nice to set up a new wagon train when you have say 10 colonies.

I started to read the code to see if I could come up with something that would help and I came up with something interesting.

Concept:
I came up with a new concept which I call "traderoute groups" (or groups for short). Basically they should work the same as traderoutes did in the first colonization. The traderoute screen contains a group selector and you select one group. You then add traderoutes to that group. Once you are done you can add wagon trains or ships to the group. Adding a unit will automatically delete the traderoutes it's following and add all the routes from the group. Adding or deleting a route in a group will automatically apply this to all units using that group.

Implementation:
The first issue regarding implementation is to store the needed data. Basically all that's needed is to store a GroupID in each traderoute so all we need is an additional int in the traderoute class.
Group 0 would be the default group. If the user decides not to add more groups then nothing will change.
In the traderoute overview window there should be some sort of group selector. It can select all the groups that are in use and something called <new group>. The list of traderoutes will be filtered by the group selected meaning if group 1 is selected only the routes used in group 1 will show up in the list. Adding a traderoute will assign this traderoute to the selected group.
Units can be assigned to the traderoute.
When adding or removing a traderoute from a group: loop all units and check if the first traderoute is in the route in question. If it is, then add the new one or delete the one being deleted.

Limitations:
-I don't think you will be able to name groups. They will just have numbers (maybe somebody else knows how to save strings for this somewhere)
-Adding data to the traderoute class will most likely break savegame compability.
-If all routes are deleted in a group then the group is dead. If a player deletes all routes and adds new ones then all the units using that group will have returned to the default group.

So what do you say? Do you think this will work?

Is this mod still being developed? It works finr in the AODII 1.08 compiliation. But constantly crashes C4C 1.01f. I like using it with AODII and would like to use it with vanilla C4C too.

I reeeeally hope the sort and select bug gets fixed.

I put a hold on working on this mod until the patch came out, but now that it is out I am working on this again.

I am going to begin this project from scratch. My first goal is to completly remove the current trade route system from the game. Once that is done, I am going to work from the ground up and implement the Trade Route System the way it should have been done.

The main concept is to center Trade Routes around the Wagons and Ships that do the Trade Routes.

I will post tomorrow with more details on what I'm planning. :cool:

I have plenty of time on my hands and can read and edit XML to an extent. So if you need a Beta tester let me know. I'll do my best to break it!

This interface is great. One thing I'd like to see is the ability to automatically trade with the natives. It's a pain to keep going back to Montezumas cities and buying his silver manually...

Is there any quick fix to make it usable with the current 1.01f patch? Currently it is a consistent CTD under 1.01f.

Ok, sorry for the extended silence, but chalk it up to me being to busy modding to post. :mischief:

Its kinda late and I'm heading to bed, but here is a quick update on what I'm doing and what I have planned to do.

1: My main modding focus is on my personal play mod, JMod. I love playing Col2 and tweaking it a bit so I have more fun playing is my top modding priority. Good news is I can test out a lot of the theroies I have in this mod and then use what I learn in JTradeRoutes Mod.

2: I have one other Mod Project in planning stages. It is super secret, but I am fairly sure that it is going to be VERY impressive when it is done. JTradeRoutes may take a back seat to this project, but everyone will be better off in the long run for it.

3: I haven't forgotten this mod, despite what the first two items may sound like. I have a few planes layed out now.

3a: I am going to add a new GlobalDefine that will let you set how closely the different European Markets correlate. In other words, if you set this GlobalDefine to 100, then the prices would be exactly the same for all players, regardless of their Civilization, ie, if the price of Silver falls from 19 to 18 for the English, then it will also fall from 19 to 18 for the Netherlands, the French, and the Spanish.

3b: Each Player will start with 1 or more Tiles of Europe Zone around their Start Position. The Europe Zone around a given Player's Start Postion will lead to that Player's European Port. The goal being, to allow any Player to sail to any other Player's Europe Port.

3c: Each Europe Port will be a specific "number of Tiles" from each edge of the Map. That number will then be calculated against a Unit's Movment to determine the number of Turns it takes to get to the Europe Port.

3d: Map generation will be changed to allow the Europe Zone to be placed on Land Tiles, that way Land Units will be able to make the trip to Europe.

There are a few of the ideas I'm throwing around. Night all. :cool:

Sounds great!

3a) Will the ai check for best prices?

3b) I'm curious how you plan to implement this into interface. I thought about that, there are people already confused by just one Europe screen, not to speak of 4 screens to keep track of. Maybe some tabs or an additional Europe advisor?

3d) I tried that too but ai only sends wagon trains to Europe, then doing nothing. :(
On weekend I will make xienwolf's dll guide for stupid people and try again, now that i have a competitor. :D

Top Bottom