Modders, please help with these ideas!

Juggalotus

Chieftain
I am not a modder. I have very little coding experience (aka, none at all), but I have been a fan of Civ since Civ II and I've played every game since. I am extremely impressed with Civ VI and the mods that are out there now, though I feel there are some things that can be added or changed. What follows are my ideas which I would love to see coded by someone who knows more about what they are doing.

1) Ocean/Sea Names - In the same vein as continents, I feel the larger bodies of water should have names. Also, discovering said bodies of water could help certain techs.

2) Religious Unit Healing - I feel this would be rather simple to do. I hate having inquisitors and other units protecting my cities from other religions, yet after theological combat they can not heal. I feel they should be able to heal while in a city or holy site of the appropriate religion.

3) Religious Belief Tree - A mod featuring a belief tree similar to tech and civics trees would be very interesting, along with additional policies appropriate to the beliefs. I feel this should somehow rework the entire current religion belief system.

4) Natural Disasters - This idea was inspired by the thought that there should be volcanoes in addition to mountains. The tile could act the same as mountains, being impassable and providing the same adjacency bonuses. However, there should be some sort of randomized timer on them, giving close cities a realm of danger. In addition, earthquakes, meteor strikes, tsunami's, and hurricanes could be implemented.

5) Weather - This idea goes along with #4 above, a weather system that could affect unit movement, terrain growth (Deserts, Rain Forests, etc) could provide real-time changes to the map and possibly damage cities.

6) Magic - An entire Arcane Tree could provide the ability to create unique magic-using units and different abilities (aka spells) could be implemented for those wishing to have a more fantastical experience with the game.

7) Expanded Religion - I feel this one could also be easily implemented. All I suggest is to remove the limit of maximum founded religions so that each civilization could possibly found a religion. So, on a large map with 12+ civs, there could be 12+ religions instead of the maximum of 7. I also feel that Holy Cities shouldn't be able to be converted unless it is the last and only city following that religion. Upon converting a Holy City, all remnants of that religion should be wiped clean.

8) More Resources - Adding additional resources to the map would be wonderful. Gold being the first that comes to mind. It bothers me that one of America's biggest historical periods isn't represented in the game. A Gold Rush tech event allowing the mining of a Gold (not currency) would be great! In addition, other resources could be thrown in, such as: Shrimp, Silicon, Glass, Hemp, Papyrus (Paper), Ivory, etc.

9) Languages - This is probably another simple mod to make. Basically it utilizes a system similar to the religion spreading mechanic, though you can't actively spread the language. Upon researching Writing, you can choose a language and it spreads from your capital outward. Like religions, multiple languages would be present in the same city. Certain buildings, techs, and wonders could boost your languages strength and spread. Having your language predominant in another civs city could provide culture and/or tourism.

10) Criminals - This change would stop the barbarian spawning during civil unrest and would instead spawn a new unit type called Criminal, of which there would be a few different units for each class. These units, instead of pillaging and attacking, could drain benefits from districts and improvements, as well as from YOUR trade routes, but not those of other civilizations. Basically, the criminal units should plague your civ only.

I'm willing to help test and develop these ideas, but like I said, I have almost no experience with coding. I'm also willing to help promote and donate to anyone who can help make these ideas a real thing.

Last edited:
Religious units can heal - just park them next to a holy site.

But criminals? Wow. What an idea. Im picturing when housing and amenities are low, criminal gangs spring up... starting around the renaissance. They break things, block movement, contribute to unhappiness... they can only be fought by new units from the "police" tree, unless you lock in policies from autocracy that permit that kind of thing.

Top Bottom