Modding on a Mac

So I've always loved modding Civ stuff (Civ 3 and would love to mod Civ 4) and I would like to know if there are any good tutorials, programs, etc... that could make modding on my mac a lot easier. I'd prefer not to switch into a Windows enviorment in order to do my modding. All help would be greatly appreciated!

On a Mac you are limited to Python & XML changes because SDK changes requires DLLs which can't be used on Macs. Have a look at this forum. There are a number of useful sticky threads which should help you.

Thanks, but let me be a little more specific. I modded a whole lot in Civ 3 and I would like to do some modding of Civ 4, if nothing else for now than adding a new Civ with units. The biggest problem I'm running into working on my Mac is that the programs to make the dds files and the like were all made for Windows, are there similar programs for Mac? Pointing me to the Creation and Customization forum doesn't do me much help because I've been there and know all about it, but nothing to help me mod on a Mac (all of the tutorials I've found have been using programs made for Windows that I can't use)

I've not tried it myself, so I can't give step by step instructions. But I believe GraphicConverter, Photoshop and The Gimp are all capable of opening and editing .dds files on the Mac, although you may need plug-ins or whatever to adapt the standard software.

I've tried GraphicConverter, it can open and edit pre-existing .dds files but can't make new ones. Photoshop requires an expensive plugin, and Gimp's .dds thing is a windows plugin that has source but I don't have enough experience to recompile it for Mac. Any other thoughts?

- If you use GC to delete the content of an existing .dds file, can you not then edit new content into it?

- How expensive is the Photoshop plug-in compared with the original cost of PS?

- Are you sure no one else has compiled the Gimp add-on for Mac? If that's the case, I guess I could try.

I've exhausted my very limited knowledge on this. Anyone else?

I've tried the GC thing, the problem being I can't make the Alpha channels that are needed and frankly I've had some problems finding the files that I want that are already made for me to edit (I know a really silly problem, but it's true).
As for the Photoshop plugin, I can't find a mac version right now but it's going more expensive than my version of Photoshop because I got a student version.
For the Gimp plugin, I can't find one that's been compiled for Mac, if someone knows where I can find one I'd love that!
Sorry to be such a downer, but I've checked all of these options before I posted.

Top Bottom