Modern Unit Graphics

Quick and dirty MiG-25:

Edit: Foxhound added

Mig 25 Foxbat & Mig 31 Foxhound.PNG

Last edited:
Too much time on my hands inevitably leads to tinkering with units that don't really need it; this time the MiG-29 which had an out of whack tail, and the SU-9 and Su-11 which had errant parachute tubes. Can't edit the post above with a new file upload for some reason, so here is the amended compilation:

cold war soviet aircraft.png

Someone must know what the suffix "bis" attached to the designation of an aircraft means?

The mean the one also designated as "Fishbed?" Or are others slapped with that designation, too?

Again or twice in Latin. It is not unique to the Migs. edit- Cognate with Greek dis, Sanskrit dvih and actually, twice in English, through middle German zwis.

Last edited:
Again or twice in Latin. It is not unique to the Migs. edit- Cognate with Greek dis, Sanskrit dvih and actually, twice in English, through middle German zwis.

So, a "Mark II," designation, then?

I think the French coined it first with aircraft like the Nieuport 17bis. I always thought it did mean 'mark II' or modified (?)

Since you're asking about this stuff Techumseh, I wonder why the Russians sometimes use 'bis' for a modified design and sometimes use 'M'. There must be a distinction I guess. Anyone know any Russian military history geeks?

M stands for modernized, for example AKM: модернизи́рованный Автома́т Кала́шникова

I think the French coined it first with aircraft like the Nieuport 17bis. I always thought it did mean 'mark II' or modified (?)

Since you're asking about this stuff Techumseh, I wonder why the Russians sometimes use 'bis' for a modified design and sometimes use 'M'. There must be a distinction I guess. Anyone know any Russian military history geeks?

Where did that poster from Bulgaria (what was his handle name) who knew all this Russian military stuff, go?

Top Bottom