[Modmod] CB-Mod for RaR

I enjoy this modmod because I tend to play huge maps on marathon speed (too much time on my hands xD).

It is refreshing to see that my Firebrand Preacher cannot hit a bear with his book and actually win the combat! Or that not everyone can willy nilly enter peak plots!

I enjoy this modmod because I tend to play huge maps on marathon speed (too much time on my hands xD).

It is refreshing to see that my Firebrand Preacher cannot hit a bear with his book and actually win the combat! Or that not everyone can willy nilly enter peak plots!
Glad that you like it! :)

So spent a few hours playing and wondering if the following are intended or bugs:
  1. When I create my first settlement I am provided, free of charge, with some gunpowder and veteran soldier units - this seems to be somewhat overpowering for early game - and the event entry seems empty (I can see the TXT_etc. text instead).
  2. A couple of event entries showing up as TXT_etc.
I don't mind replicating if more screenshots are required or something.

For balancing purposes does it make sense to have the Explorer II promotion to give another movement point (instead of just 1 visibility) because it's a huge map and my scouts can still only move 2 plots (mostly with 3/2 movement points with reduction are still a bit of a pain).

So spent a few hours playing and wondering if the following are intended or bugs:
  1. When I create my first settlement I am provided, free of charge, with some gunpowder and veteran soldier units - this seems to be somewhat overpowering for early game - and the event entry seems empty (I can see the TXT_etc. text instead).
  2. A couple of event entries showing up as TXT_etc.
I don't mind replicating if more screenshots are required or something.
First, thanks for your comments! :goodjob:
It is always helpful for me to learn what surprises people because I forgot to explain or document it.
Second, the additional units are intentional. They shall give the European players the chance to go for limited wars early or to have the chance to defend against native attacks in the early game. This is especially helpful for the human player when playing at higher difficulty levels (I for myself am playing "Patriot") as otherwise in the beginning the human player is very much just a "lame duck".
(I will update the initial posting to explain this feature)

Mentioning which event entries only return the TXT_KEY would be helpful :)

For balancing purposes does it make sense to have the Explorer II promotion to give another movement point (instead of just 1 visibility) because it's a huge map and my scouts can still only move 2 plots (mostly with 3/2 movement points with reduction are still a bit of a pain).
It was (and still is) my intention to make combat and movement more "realistic". Units shall avoid covered terrain if possible, as this is exactly what they did in real life, too.
Forests have been an obstacle to quick movement and that shall stay that way.

If you get Founding Father Marquette and give the Explorer promotions, your scouts will have a movement rate of 5 (!!!) anyway (3 from being a mounted unit, 1 from Explorer_1 and an additional 1 from Marquette).
They will literally race over open terrain, but shall need more turns to explore forests and jungles.

First, thanks for your comments! :goodjob:
It is always helpful for me to learn what surprises people because I forgot to explain or document it.
Second, the additional units are intentional. They shall give the European players the chance to go for limited wars early or to have the chance to defend against native attacks in the early game. This is especially helpful for the human player when playing at higher difficulty levels (I for myself am playing "Patriot") as otherwise in the beginning the human player is very much just a "lame duck".
(I will update the initial posting to explain this feature)

Mentioning which event entries only return the TXT_KEY would be helpful :)
Thank you for the clarification. In that case it is possible to scale the free units with difficulty?

About the TXT_KEY tags here are some:
CB_LIGHT_CANNONS - event that gives you 5 cannon garrison units
CB_2_CANNONS - event that gives you 3 cannon regiment units
CB_3_VETERANS - event that gives you 2 veteran soldier units
CB_4_SCOUT - event that gives you 1 seasoned scout unit
TXT_KEY_ACHIEVE_FIRST_CANNON_TEXT - event your first cannon achievement

It was (and still is) my intention to make combat and movement more "realistic". Units shall avoid covered terrain if possible, as this is exactly what they did in real life, too.
Forests have been an obstacle to quick movement and that shall stay that way.

If you get Founding Father Marquette and give the Explorer promotions, your scouts will have a movement rate of 5 (!!!) anyway (3 from being a mounted unit, 1 from Explorer_1 and an additional 1 from Marquette).
They will literally race over open terrain, but shall need more turns to explore forests and jungles.
I understand your point of view but I believe seasoned scouts, for being seasoned and for being scouts, ought to act more as an explorer, in the sense that they have better knowledge of the covered terrain and therefore can transverse it quicker. But ok, point taken.

Thank you for the clarification. In that case it is possible to scale the free units with difficulty?
Yes, that would be possible.
It requires a bit of coding which shouldn't be that difficult. On the other hand, I am just a beginner as programmer, so don't expect this to happen just within the next hours. :)

About the TXT_KEY tags here are some:
CB_LIGHT_CANNONS - event that gives you 5 cannon garrison units
CB_2_CANNONS - event that gives you 3 cannon regiment units
CB_3_VETERANS - event that gives you 2 veteran soldier units
CB_4_SCOUT - event that gives you 1 seasoned scout unit
TXT_KEY_ACHIEVE_FIRST_CANNON_TEXT - event your first cannon achievement
Hmm... I was pretty sure that these have their texts (well, except the last one, which is corrupted for me, too). But I will have a look and release a patch ASAP.

I understand your point of view but I believe seasoned scouts, for being seasoned and for being scouts, ought to act more as an explorer, in the sense that they have better knowledge of the covered terrain and therefore can transverse it quicker. But ok, point taken.
See it this way: with Exploration_1 they are already quicker than other units (I assume that most people promote other mounted units with combat related promotions, not with explorer promotions).

Maybe I will add some defense against wild animals to Explorer_2. I have to think about it...

Version 0.7.017 released.
Contains corrected TXT_KEY entries and opens the "total production" page as default in the domestic advisor screen [F1]

(Should be savegame compatible with the previous versions)

On the explorers:
  • After doing some extensive testing I take back what I said about the scouts not having enough movement through the Explorer I, II and III promotions (even without the respective FF which I missed out, dam AI :cool:). The reasoning behind this change of opinion is because it forces me to carefully consider each move rather than opt for the Explore option, which is rather tedious.
  • What I would say, however, is rather than considering adding defence to one of the Explorer promotions, reflect whether upgrading the flat 5% defence bonus the seasoned scout unit gets would be a more balanced choice. After all, 5% seems rather insignificant when most promotions start at 10% and higher. Perhaps a flat 10% would be advisable?
On the initial free army units:
It really breaks the game (easily wipe out natives and fight "easy-stupid" AI) if you play on easier settings, like I did, so I would suggest updating the modmod description recommending large maps and higher difficulty settings.

On the yield changes:
I am still trying to understand and take in the yield changes you carried out. Perhaps a more detailed log would benefit players? I was holding out founding a settlement on a marsh tile because I did not have any Expert Farmer units and then found out it yielded 5! food :eek: Don't get me wrong: the changes are positive but for regular players with a set strategy they may not be well acquainted with different yield expectations.

I have just downloaded your new update (17) and will try it now. I love R&R but your army strength, movement point alteration and sales-for-immigration(points) really bring a breath of fresh air and much needed balance and realism onto R&R! I love how I have to consider whether it's worth sailing to Europe because those dreaded ocean squares are so "big", and correcting that awful mistake of letting my Firebrand Preacher unit teach a Polar Bear unit a lesson xD

Please keep up the excellent work - you got a fan =)

I found a bug regarding the tobacco resource and I am unsure whether it is related to your XML change on tobacco appearing on savannah plots.

The bug is that I have a tobacco resource on a farmland plot, which does not have a base tobacco yield, hence it is redundant.

Can we have a look at this? Just wasted some turns training up an Expert Tobacco before realising he couldn't do his thing :cry:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 251
Once again, thanks for your detailed critique! This is very helpful for me to improve things. :goodjob:
On the explorers:
  • After doing some extensive testing I take back what I said about the scouts not having enough movement through the Explorer I, II and III promotions (even without the respective FF which I missed out, dam AI :cool:). The reasoning behind this change of opinion is because it forces me to carefully consider each move rather than opt for the Explore option, which is rather tedious.
:)
  • What I would say, however, is rather than considering adding defence to one of the Explorer promotions, reflect whether upgrading the flat 5% defence bonus the seasoned scout unit gets would be a more balanced choice. After all, 5% seems rather insignificant when most promotions start at 10% and higher. Perhaps a flat 10% would be advisable?
Well, this is something, which is really very difficult.
In short: due to how combat and promotions internally work, even a 1% increase in strength results in a ~11% increase in victory chances, if you're comparing to units with equal strengths. Furthermore, promotions generally work in two different ways, of which one results depending on which of the two units involved will have more promotions (in terms of percentage) in two different calculations. :rolleyes:
Sounds complicated? Believe me, it is. :sad:
Under the current rules it is next to impossible to find proper settings. (This is the reason for the excessive changes in combat modifiers by terrain, too).

I am currently working on changing this, but since there are so many options involved and to be taken into consideration, this again may need some more time. It is not just the programming, but the estimation of the programming's results, too.

On the initial free army units:
It really breaks the game (easily wipe out natives and fight "easy-stupid" AI) if you play on easier settings, like I did, so I would suggest updating the modmod description recommending large maps and higher difficulty settings.
Good hint. :)
Currently I am thinking of adding two options in the start screen:
a) "standard" additional army (if checked)
b) "reduced" additional army (if checked)
c) no additional army at all (if not checked)
This way, each player should be enabled to pick the options fitting best to his parameters and playstyle.
Once again, this will take some time. :(
On the yield changes:
I am still trying to understand and take in the yield changes you carried out. Perhaps a more detailed log would benefit players? I was holding out founding a settlement on a marsh tile because I did not have any Expert Farmer units and then found out it yielded 5! food :eek: Don't get me wrong: the changes are positive but for regular players with a set strategy they may not be well acquainted with different yield expectations.
Yield changes are not finalized yet.
The problem here is a wrong conceptional approach of Firaxis (as I think) making the food available in a city's own tile too important.
I think I have already found a theoretical solution for this, but this solution unfortunately not only requires heavy code changes, but Python knowledge as well (one thing which I am missing even more than C++ knowledge). So, this change for sure will take much more time and not happen very soon.

I have just downloaded your new update (17) and will try it now. I love R&R but your army strength, movement point alteration and sales-for-immigration(points) really bring a breath of fresh air and much needed balance and realism onto R&R! I love how I have to consider whether it's worth sailing to Europe because those dreaded ocean squares are so "big", and correcting that awful mistake of letting my Firebrand Preacher unit teach a Polar Bear unit a lesson xD
Please keep up the excellent work - you got a fan =)
Glad to hear this. :)

I found a bug regarding the tobacco resource and I am unsure whether it is related to your XML change on tobacco appearing on savannah plots.

The bug is that I have a tobacco resource on a farmland plot, which does not have a base tobacco yield, hence it is redundant.

Can we have a look at this? Just wasted some turns training up an Expert Tobacco before realising he couldn't do his thing :cry:
I think I already know what has happened here and this is just my fault. I misinterpreted one setting in the XML files :(

I will release a patch to avoid this happening in new games. Unfortunately, this may be savegame compatible (not tested yet) but won't change it for current games.
Sorry about this.

Edit:
Since RayStuttgart has announced a new (the final) version of RaR for the coming week, chances are good that I will postpone any new development (except error correction) until this new version hits the planet. :)

Patch A for version CBM 0.7.017 released.

Find the file and the procedure in the initial posting.

Stop thanking me for my feedback or I'll get used to it :D

Having read your comprehensive reply and the complexity behind each solution I know understand that moving forward will not only be slow but require more extensive testing and reflecting. Your clarification on how fighting works is really interesting to me!

You know, last night while I was sleeping, I dreamt that instead of having the "Accept" button for each of the army starting units you could have a selection as in "no thank you I believe in my skills" and so forth... similar to what you just suggested - amazing!

Regarding the upcoming changes, it would be great - and I am wishfully thinking this! - if you could liaise with RayStuttgart to add your really relevant and balanced changes! I mean, I myself reported their Mobility promotion is broken since no water tile has a movement cost above 1 (like you did with ocean tiles (2pts)).7

EDIT: patch A is not compatible with savegames - my farmland still has tobacco on it.

I will download the patch and start a new game now :scan:

Regarding the farmland: keep in mind that we are in an object-oriented environment. The respective tile was defined at gamestart by its characteristics - and at that moment the tobacco bonus was one of these characteristics.
And as long as there isn't any changing functionality taking away this special characteristic, it will stay there. Unfortunately, such a changing characteristic (to remove a bonus) does not exist, so no change can happen.

Regarding the farmland: keep in mind that we are in an object-oriented environment. The respective tile was defined at gamestart by its characteristics - and at that moment the tobacco bonus was one of these characteristics.
And as long as there isn't any changing functionality taking away this special characteristic, it will stay there. Unfortunately, such a changing characteristic (to remove a bonus) does not exist, so no change can happen.
No worries, I started a new map anyway.
I am not sure how relevant this may be but I noticed the AI is unsure what to do with so many army units, for example, I see no fights with natives and big garrisons. This time I tried on Patriot xD

I am not sure how relevant this may be but I noticed the AI is unsure what to do with so many army units, for example, I see no fights with natives and big garrisons. This time I tried on Patriot xD

Well, this may happen sometimes, depending on the situation of the colonies. Do they have enough room to expand without colliding with the natives? Are the natives in this area friendly?

Regarding big garrison sizes: the bigger (stronger) the garrison the less likely is an attack - even if chances would be still good to overwhelm the garrison. This is a weakness in the AI's military behaviour which is inherited from vanilla Col, as I think.
I am having some ideas how to change this, but you know the old song already: is complicated, will take some time, don't expect it to happen soon... :rolleyes:

Well, this may happen sometimes, depending on the situation of the colonies. Do they have enough room to expand without colliding with the natives? Are the natives in this area friendly?

Regarding big garrison sizes: the bigger (stronger) the garrison the less likely is an attack - even if chances would be still good to overwhelm the garrison. This is a weakness in the AI's military behaviour which is inherited from vanilla Col, as I think.
I am having some ideas how to change this, but you know the old song already: is complicated, will take some time, don't expect it to happen soon... :rolleyes:
There is plenty of room and natives are friendly so I genuinely believe this issue is caused by the AI; nothing to do with R&R or your modmod. The AI does not seem to handle well army units, even the free ones you provided through the modmod.

Hmm, talking about song, I am actually trying to identify some of the game soundtrack - completely addicted on some diplomacy music files like the Algonquian!! (so peaceful and relaxing hehe)

I agree with vetiarvind :D

Thanks for your comments! :goodjob:

It's always good to get other opinions as they help to broaden one's own view.

I have to admit that my view of course is very much influenced by the mapsize I am playing with (over-gigantic FairWeather mapscript).
Especially in the beginning, there isn't any easier way to get new colonists as having a chapel, as I think. And more colonists => more settlements => more ressources => more trade => more income
And not to forget, the chance to get the TerraX-quests (the one with the 2 pioneers).

But anyway, as long as different playstyles are possible and have almost equal chances to prove being successful, everything seems to be alright.

Nevertheless, all others of course are invited to share their points of view, too. :goodjob:

Just tried a new map and found tobacco on a farmland plot. Just checking it's fixed fixed or I missed something out? Sorry =)

Just tried a new map and found tobacco on a farmland plot. Just checking it's fixed fixed or I missed something out? Sorry =)
Are you talking about the bonus ressource or about normal availability of tobacco?

In both cases, this shouldn't happen with 0.7.017 Patch A anymore.

Are you talking about the bonus ressource or about normal availability of tobacco?

In both cases, this shouldn't happen with 0.7.017 Patch A anymore.

Tobacco resource. I downloaded your patch a couple of days ago but that tobacco resource keeps getting generated on farmland plots. Would like other players using patch to confirm as I tried to re-install twice.

Also, can I ask if it is intended a jungle with coffee flowers resource to yield only 4 coffee flowers?

Thanks for replying =)

Top Bottom