[MODULE] JotnarL - Reworking of the Jotnar Giant Civ

Hello
I don't understand how tou make this module working; I tried to put it in my AoE Normalmodule file but I got many errors messages
thanks

Hi,

Install the JotnarL folder into your NormalModules folder.
If you play with AoE, instead of RifE, then cut and paste any of the files in the AoE into the relevant folders of the module.

I don't play AoE, so the AoE specific changes are based on the feedback from Lark. It's possible that I missed a glacier/tundra/snow reference or that there are further differences between RifE and AoE which affect the mod.

If you get any error messages let me know what they are and then I can try to fix them.
If you've any other comments on how the module works, let me know.

Hi,

Install the JotnarL folder into your NormalModules folder.
If you play with AoE, instead of RifE, then cut and paste any of the files in the AoE into the relevant folders of the module.

I don't play AoE, so the AoE specific changes are based on the feedback from Lark. It's possible that I missed a glacier/tundra/snow reference or that there are further differences between RifE and AoE which affect the mod.

If you get any error messages let me know what they are and then I can try to fix them.
If you've any other comments on how the module works, let me know.

thanks for the quick reply
here are 2 of the numerous error messages (rife)

Attachments

• erreurs jotnar.7z
    44.7 KB · Views: 82
@Opuhara,
I don't have my modding laptop with me, so won't get to properly investigate til next week.

Are all of the error messages about the JotnarL_UnitInfos.xml or are other xml files causing problems?

Are there any other modules that you currently have running? If so, what are they?

Is it AoE or RifE you're running? I might be misinterpreting your last post but I thought you were indicating that you got these errors in RifE rather than AoE.

@Opuhara,
I don't have my modding laptop with me, so won't get to properly investigate til next week.

Are all of the error messages about the JotnarL_UnitInfos.xml or are other xml files causing problems?

Are there any other modules that you currently have running? If so, what are they?

Is it AoE or RifE you're running? I might be misinterpreting your last post but I thought you were indicating that you got these errors in RifE rather than AoE.

Hi
it's rife rebirth and legend
I got the same kind of message with the aoe
I desinstalled it so I can't check the other errors messages

Hi
it's rife rebirth and legend
I got the same kind of message with the aoe
I desinstalled it so I can't check the other errors messages

I think Derf's Rebirth and Legend has its own Jotnar so my module would be incompatible with it. It should be regarded as incompatible with any other mods or modules which have the Jotnar.

I can try installing AoE this week and seeing what issues get thrown up with the JotnarL.

I installed AoE and then installed my JotnarL, with the AoE patch files substituted in.

On loading AoE, I did get all of those xml error messages. They were all associated with the JotnarL_CIV4UnitInfos. However, I was able to start the game with the JotnarL and it seemed to work initially okay. On checking the Civilopedia the unit upgrade paths were missing and I confirmed that this wasn't working ingame.

I deleted all the <bUnitClassUpgrade>1</bUnitClassUpgrade> from the JotnarL_CIV4UnitInfos and removed bUnitClassUpgrade from the Schema. AoE starts for me now with no error messages and the upgrade paths seem to be intact. I'm updating the AoE patch in the first post.

I installed AoE and then installed my JotnarL, with the AoE patch files substituted in.

On loading AoE, I did get all of those xml error messages. They were all associated with the JotnarL_CIV4UnitInfos. However, I was able to start the game with the JotnarL and it seemed to work initially okay. On checking the Civilopedia the unit upgrade paths were missing and I confirmed that this wasn't working ingame.

I deleted all the <bUnitClassUpgrade>1</bUnitClassUpgrade> from the JotnarL_CIV4UnitInfos and removed bUnitClassUpgrade from the Schema. AoE starts for me now with no error messages and the upgrade paths seem to be intact. I'm updating the AoE patch in the first post.

I downloaded and no more problems
thanks a lot

so fater 2 gams somes crashes like this one (2 oir 3 turns after ...)
I am giving up my present game with the d'tesh to give a try to new jotnar

a few hours later ... some crash for exemple 2 or 3 turns after the save

Attachments

• AutoSave_Turn_0185.CivBeyondSwordSave
    402.2 KB · Views: 67
Belated announcement of uploading of version 0.15 and some more detail of whats in the module
Spoiler :

The module revises the giant Jotnar civilization.

JOTNARL CIVILIZATION
Spoiler :

Jotnar are the giant kin, an assortment of races that is held together by a common ancestry and traditions. They have chosen to abandon their wild solitude in favour of communal living in cities. Bergrisar, Trolls, Fiery giants, Aegir of the sea all gather under their banner. Tightly held together by Traditions, slow to bear offspring and to come to action, their pure size make them a force to be considered.

Jotnar can adopt any religion. Religion, which allows the sacrifice of Runt units might be advisable. They have a unique set of religious units; Gothi, Munne and Stemme which can participate in any state religion.

Giant units are stronger in attack and defence than their counter parts. As they age, they grow in power, although they are slower to gain experience from combat. They ignore terrain and can cross mountains and wade through shallow seas,to attack from unexpected directions (where they can not be easily counter-attacked).
They also do not need to bring siege-machines, as each giant can tear down a wall or two. The giants can carry their smaller brethren. Trolls are more animalistic than the giants. They are ferocious and quick to attack although not as strong when defending. Young Trolls are vulnerable to Recon units and might even be subdued by them but as they age they get more wily.
Runts are weaker than the Giants and Trolls. The low Jotnar birthrate means that formations of Runts are smaller, and correspondingly weaker, than the equivalent formations of other tribes. If basing your army on Runt units, it is essential to reduce the cost of the units. Each Jotnar city starts with a free Citizen, who can defend it against barbarians. As the population grows, more Citizens will appear to defend the Districts. The Citizens can not move and so can only act defensively but this permits the few mobile units the Jotnar have to venture forth in search of conquest. For the devious player, Jotnar have the Bergrisar, aka Hill Giants, who start with Hidden Nationality, often making it hard for even other players to determine if they are your units or are the real thing. Their naval forces make use of sea animals, who also benefit from Hidden Nationality. When led by a Fiskflokk, they easily rule the waves. The only tier 4 melee unit that the Jotnar can upgrade to is the Jotun. The Fire Giants and Frost Mammoths must be trained and each can only be trained in a city in which their clan lives. Fire Clans will only settle in cities near volcanoes and Frost Clans will only settle near Tundra/Glaciers. The immortal Vanir must be roused from where they sleep after completing the Search for Slumberers.

LEADERS
Spoiler :

There are currently four selectable leaders.
Father Kasghenal is Lawful Neutral and has the Defender and Imperialist traits.
Mother Enningas is Lawful Good and has the Financial and Organised traits.
Uxol the Half-Troll is Lawful Evil and has the Ambitious and Troll Supremacist traits.
Stemme Lika is Chaotic Good and has the Egalitarian and Tolerant traits.

Stemme Lika portrait is Ogre Sitting by vshen. His art can be viewed at vshen.deviantart.com/gallery/ and artofgeorge.blogspot.com.au.

IMPROVEMENTS
Spoiler :

Districts: The Jotnar build their cities on a larger scale than other Civilizations. Whilst their cities may have smaller populations, they dwarf even Kuriotates megacities, as they dominate and spread over the landscape surrounding the original city hub.
The basic District and the other types of Districts are used to slow and limit the Jotnar population growth. They can be built or they will be automatically built when a citys population would have grown, if there is no available District for a new Citizen. They can be improved to Walled Districts and can house District Batteries.
Districts will never yield food and reduce hammers by 1. They improve visibility by 1, healing rates by 20% and are valuable targets for pillaging.

Peak Districts: These are just like standard Districts but can be built or automatically built on Peaks once you've learned Engineering. They can be improved to Walled Districts and can house District Batteries. Peak Districts will never yield food and reduce hammers by 1. They improve visibility by 1, healing rates by 20% and are valuable targets for pillaging.

Sea Districts: These can be built or automatically built once you've learned Fishing. The only units which can build these are Sea Serpents and FiskFlokk. These can not be upgraded and can not house District Batteries. Any Citizens created in a Sea District will have the Giantkin promotion. They will never yield food and reduce hammers by 1. They improve healing rates by 20% and are valuable targets for pillaging.
Currency, Taxation and Trade improve the coin yield from Sea Districts. Engineering and Optics improve the hammer yield.

Walled Districts: Districts and Peak Districts can be improved to Walled Districts by building Extend Walls in the associated city. They improve the occupying unit strength by 30%. Units in Walled Districts also gain the Within Walls promotion. Currency, Taxation and Trade improve the coin yield from Sea Districts. Crafting, construction and Engineering improve the hammer yield.

Fish Farm: The lazy Aegir gather their food from the sea. Using their pet sea serpents, they corral shoals of fish, so that they personally have to make minimal effort to procure their food.
The Fish Farm is the Jotnar equivalent for Fishing Boats. It can be built by Sea Serpents or FiskFlokk.

TECHNOLOGIES
Spoiler :

Their unique technology is Traditions, allowing them to use the Traditions civic.

The following are technologies of particular interest for the Jotnar:
Agriculture: This allows training of the hero worker Egrass, who can also help secure a city and push its cultural borders.
Animal Husbandry: This is a pre-requisite for the Eugenics Civic.
Animal Mastery: This allows older trolls to become Wizened Trolls, who are hidden from non-recon units.
Astronomy: This is required for training of the Kraken or building of a Stoneship. A Stoneship is the only means the Jotnar have to cross oceans.
Bronze Working: Along with Cartography, this is a prerequisite for the Bergrisar. It also allows the automatic placement of Districts on tiles with forests.
Cartography: This allows construction of the Jormund's Call wonder, which replaces the Pact of the Nilhorn. It is a prerequisite along with bronze working for the training of Bergrisar.
Code of Laws: It is a prerequisite along with iron working for the training of Jarl.
Construction: This allows construction of the Siege Battery, which can be positioned in cities or nearby Districts. It reduces the build cost of a District improvements. It also improves the hammer yield from Walled and Sea Districts.
Currency: It improves the coin yield from Walled and Sea Districts.
Divination: This allows construction of the Match Maker. It also allows adoption of the Melting Pot civic, which will change the civilization trait from Pure Blood to Diluted Blood.
Divine Essence: This allows casting of the Blood Will Show world spell (provided you have the Pure Blood trait). It also allows the Search for Slumberers ritual to be performed to find the sleeping Vanir and is a pre-requisite to rousing a Vanir with a Renowned Giant.
Education: This is a pre-requisite, along with Whispering Stones, for training Gothi.
Engineering: It reduces the build cost of a District improvements. It also improves the hammer yield from Walled and Sea Districts.
Fishing: This enables the automatic spreading of Sea Districts to coastal water tiles. This allows construction of Sea Districts (with a Sea Serpent or FiskFlokk, who are not routinely available at this tech).
Hunting: This allows older trolls to become Clever Trolls, who are not as vulnerable to non-recon units and will not go Feral.
Masonry: This allows building of Giant Walls and subsequently extending those walls to create Walled Districts.
Optics: This allows training of the War Tortoise. It also improves the coin yield from Sea Districts.
Rage: This allows training of the Fire Giants, provided a Fire Giant Clan building is in the city. It also allows casting of the world spell, Once Were Warriors, if the civilization has the Diluted Blood trait.
Sailing: This is required for training of the Sea Serpents.
Taxation: This allows building of the Forum, which will allow one Jotnar city to expand out to three tile radius. It also improves the coin yield from Walled and Sea Districts.
Trade: It improves the coin yield from Walled and Sea Districts.

CITY SPELLS
Spoiler :

The Jotnar have two World Spells. One requires Pure Blood Lines and the other requires Diluted Blood Lines.

Once Were Warriors: The Jotnar were forged as weapons of the Gods. As Armageddon comes to Erebus, some of those who had tried to adopt a peaceful, settled life realised that for there to be peace, some must be prepared to fight.
Converts Citizens into Militia and Egrass the Founder into Egrass the Warrior. The number of units converted will be based on the number of Citizens less the number of Troll/Giant units. An additional unit may be converted for each Life Mana possessed. This can provide access to a number of very old Giant and Troll units, which may turn the tide in the final days. Gold will be required to upgrade the Militia into more useful units.
Requires Divine Essence and Diluted Blood Lines.

Blood Will Show: Runts seem to have missed out on their Jotnar heritage. Sometimes, that heritage just takes a little longer to show. Percentage chance based on the percentage of non-Citizen Runts to convert each Runt into either a Giant or a Troll.
Runt Riders will become Warriors.
Horse Archers will become Hurlers.
Knights will become Jarls.
Requires Rage and Pure Blood Lines.

UNIT SPELLS AND ABILITIES
Spoiler :

Religious Doubts is cast by Stemme and can give nearby disciple units the Religious Doubts promotion.

Dive allows KiskFlokk and sea creatures to get the Deep promotion.

Surface removes the Deep promotion.

Plans can be cast by Citizens in Districts/Peak Districts/Walled Districts. It can not be cast if another Citizen in the fat cross of the city has the Plans promotion. It identifies the tile as the location for the Walled District to be placed if Extend Walls is built in the city or the District Battery to be placed after it is built in the city.

Discard Plans removes the Plans promotion from a Citizen. On the next turn a different Citizen in the fat cross of the city will be able to cast Plans.

Spread Religion can be cast by Gothi/Munne/Stemme. It spreads the state religion to the city that the unit is in after a short delay.

Rouse is cast by a Slumbering Vanir. It can only be cast when there is a unit with the Renowned Giant promotion on the tile. It replaces the Slumbering Vanir with a Vanir.

Claim District claims a District similar to claiming a fort but no free unit is granted.

PROMOTIONS
to do

BUILDINGS
Spoiler :

The unique buildings that they can build are; Great Hall, Giant Walls, Extend Walls, Whispering Stones, Matchmaker, House of Ancestors, Basking Pool, Granary, Smokehouse and Salthouse.
The unique Wonders they can build are; Wild Moot, Jormunds Call, Forum, Guild of Midwives and Sea Council
They can not build; City of a Thousand Slums

Great Hall - Their palace provides Body, Chaos and Law mana.

Giant Walls -
Jotnar walls are massive and imposing and cause many an attacker to retreat without hope of victory.
Gives a defence boost of 40 percent as opposed to the 25 percent for standard walls.

Extend Walls -
As the Districts spread out around the walled hub of a Jotnar city, the citizens begin to clamour for protection. The massive walls which distinguish a Jotnar city from any other are extended out to encompass and protect the outer Districts.
This may be built multiple times in a city. When it is built it converts the District/Peak District which has a Citizen with the Plans promotion into a Walled District.

Whispering Stones - The replacement for Pagan Temple.
Only giants could have positioned these giant monoliths. Its said to be easier to hear the whispers of the divine when in their shadow. No matter how irreligious a Jotnar is, they will always come to pray here when expecting a child.
This allows the city to build one additional unit with a chance of being a troll/giant than would be allowed before the unit is automatically a Runt based purely on the citizen population and free unit value based on difficulty.

Matchmaker -
As the Districts spread out around the walled hub of a Jotnar city, the citizens begin to clamour for protection. The massive walls which distinguish a Jotnar city from any other are extended out to encompass and protect the outer Districts.
Requires Divination. Gives one Happy. Increases chance that recon units will be trolls and that others will be giants by approximately 10 percent.

House of Ancestors -
The Giants are bound together by blood more then other creatures, it is not uncommon for an giant to remember things in passing that other long dead giants had done. In the House of Ancestors, the Sloegrrekkr of the Jotnar teach how to use and value that link.

Basking Pool - The replacement for the Harbor.
The Aegir love to bask in these pools. The pools become centres for gossip and trade.
This is a pre-requisite for training Sea Serpents and other sea creatures.
Two are needed in order to build the Sea Council.

Granary, Smokehouse and Salthouse - More expensive versions of the standard buildings.

----------

Wonders
Wild Moot -
The savagery which accompanied the first Wild Moot terrified even Giant Citizens. Over time, as more and more Trolls kept visiting the city, the Citizens embraced the wildness themselves.
This increases the chance that units built in the city will be Trolls by approximately 50 percent. A free Troll Jeger appears in the city when it is built.

Jormunds Call - The replacement for the Pact of the Nilhorn
The wild nature of the Bergrisar, or Hill Giants, as the lesser races call them meant that they all did not readily join the Jotnar. They relished their independence and freedom. Jormund was one of the first Bergrisar to settle among the Jotnar. He gathered as many Bergrisar as he could find to persuade them to join the new civilization. Many rejected his pleas. Those who didn't embraced the young civilization with a true passion.
Gives one culture. Melee units built in the city will get Loyalty. A Loyal Bergrisar also appears in the city. Three barbarian Bergrisar are created elsewhere on the map.

Forum - Effectively, this is their replacement for the City of a Thousand Slums.
For a people who had for millenia been primarily solitary, it was not easy to adapt to the new social requirements of urban life. As the Jotnar cities grew they seemed to reach a natural plateau. Either Jotnar would choose to freely leave the unbearable, cramped conditions and return to a more wild lifestyle or else violence would erupt within the city, culling the population. The only city which overcame these issues was Varkstaed. With the establishment of the Forum, all of the citizens felt that they had a voice and a means to shape their city for the better.

Guild of Midwives
The Jotnar have low birthrates but on top of this many pregnancies ended with the death of the mother or the child. The development of the Guild of Midwives greatly increased the survivability of the delivery process. In time, the advice provided by the midwives also improved conception chances.
This reduces the cost of living, land based units.

Sea Council -
The Aegir are reluctant to fight directly themselves. Despite or perhaps because of this, they are master strategists. At the Sea Council, the Aegir vowed to reclaim the seas for the Jotnar. With the sea animals at their command, it looked like they would deliver on that promise.
This requires Warfare and two Basking Pools before it can be built. It provides similar yield improvements to a Harbor. On completion, the player gets a free Aegir Fiskflokk. Any commanders built in the city will be converted into Fiskflokk. It is a pre-requisite for training Kraken.

----
Unbuildable Buildings

Plans -
Jotnar cities are larger than others and that scale demands organisation.
The Jotnar lay careful plans to ensure that their cities develop as they should.
Plans are not built. They are created in a city when a Citizen in a surrounding District casts Plans. They are pre-requisites for building Extend Walls or District Battery.

Frost Giant Clan -
Those frost giants, no longer in service to Mulcarn, found a natural kinship and home among the Jotnar.
This can not be built. It is created when a Jotnar city is founded (claimed) with Tundra, Ice, Taiga or Glaciers within its fat cross. It is a pre-requisite for the tier 4 Frost Mammoth.

Fire Giant Clan -
This can not be built. It is created when a Jotnar city is founded (claimed) with a volcano within its fat cross. It is a pre-requisite for the tier 4 Fire Giant.

UNITS
Spoiler :

Jotnar units are expensive but versatile. Their cost means they will take longer to build.
Most units can work the fields and break new roads. The Jotnar have no dedicated Worker unit.
The Jotnar have unique versions of most standard units to allow them to enter coastal waters and bombard.

Melee
Their unique melee units are; Citizen, Kriger (Warrior), Bergrisar (Axeman), Jarl (Champion), Jotun (Phalanx), Vanir (Immortal), Fire Giant (Berserker) & Jotnar Militia.
Spoiler :

Citizens can not be built. They are created automatically when a city population increases, provided that there is an empty District, Peak District, Walled District or Sea District available. They can not move but may defend. The number of Citizens in the nation limits the number of Troll/Giant units you can have. The Once Were Warriors world spell will convert some into Militia.

Bergrisar are the new Hill Giants. Any Hill Giants spawned for the barbarians are replaced with Bergrisar. Bergrisar have the Hidden Nationality promotion, making them the tool to use for sneaky early wars.
Cartography and Bronze Working are required to train Bergrisar but there is no resource requirement.

Jarl
Through the traditions and oral lore of the giant kin grew laws and codes of conduct. Many banded together for protection and community, within these newly sprung laws was found the basis for the Wielder Of Arms. Giants fighting not only for themselves, but for the community and bound by rules and codes. Armed and shielded in iron, provided by the homestaed in which they resided.
Require Barracks, Iron Working and Code of Laws.

Jotun
The natural fighting style of giants is too fight alone and even alone, there are few who can confidently face them. Some giants have learned from observation of the other races and have chosen to combine their efforts. The Jotun are sworn to each other. They fight side by side each knowing exactly how each of their brethren will react. Their shields guard each other, their blades whirl in unison, their foes fall before them.
This is the only tier 4 melee unit, which other Jotnar can upgrade to.
Requires Weaponsmith and Mithril Working.

Vanir
When the Gods reached their peace accord, their was little purpose for giants who were masters of war, and knew only war. Odio chose to continue to fight until Kilmorph stopped him. Others freely chose to withdraw from Erebus and slumber. They've rested so long now that the land has grown around them so now the only suggestion that they are there is in local place names like Giant's Bed.The Jotnar seek them out to try to persuade them to join in their new Civilization, whenever and wherever they learn of their whereabouts.
The Search for Slumberers ritual places Slumbering Vanir at random locations on the map, which are revealed to the Jotnar. If a unit with the Renowned Giant promotion goes to one of these tiles it can waken the immortal Vanir.

Fire Giant
With a temper as fiery as their flesh, the Jotnar with blood from fire giants in their veins throw themselves head first into battle - flames setting the land ablaze.
Requires Fire Giant Clan and Rage. They get +2 fire combat. They can not enter water or cold terrains. They are immune to fire damage but vulnerable to cold.

Jotnar Militia
When the need is great, some of the Jotnar citizens take up arms once more.
These are created when the Once Were Warriors world spell is cast. They can not move but can be upgraded into other units.

Recon
Their unique recon units are; Utemmet (Scout), Jeger (Hunter), Ranger, Beast Master.
The unique versions of these units are just to allow the extra movement, etc options of the Jotnar.

Adept
Their unique recon units are; Sloegrrekkr (Adept), Skald (Mage) and Vala (ArchMage).
Their build options are more limited than other Jotnar. They just improve mana nodes.
Spoiler :

Sloegrrekkr are Jotnar shamans and a Mage Guild is not required to build them.

Commander
Jotnar Commanders are similar to other Commanders with the additional options that the Jotnar units usually get.
If a Commander is built in a coastal city it may become a FiskFlokk. These are commanders based in the water terrains. They can command the sea creatures and stoneships as others command land units. FiskFlokk are giants and may walk on land but the Dry Out when they do, making them more vulnerable.

Ranged
Their unique ranged units are; Hurler (Archer), Crwossbowman, Arquebuss.
Apart from the typical changed for Jotnar units, the ranged units have increase bombard damage and can gain siege weapon promotions.

Siege
Siege Batteries and District Batteries are essentially the same. Siege Batteries are based in cities. When a District Battery is built, it is placed in the District/Peak District/Walled District, in which the Citizen has the Plans promotion. Neither Siege Batteries nor District Batteries have any movement and they can not be accelerated. They are purely defensive, unless the city is right on the border.

Naval
The Jotnar use Sea Serpents, Giant Tortoises and Kraken as their naval units. These animals/beasts may turn wild if out of Jotnar territory and not commanded by a FiskFlokk. They may Dive. They have one ocean-going, cargo bearing vessel, the Stoneship.
Spoiler :

Sea Serpents require a Basking Pool and Sailing. They have hidden nationality. They can build sea improvements.
Giant Tortoises require a Basking Pool and Optics.
Kraken require the Sea Council and Astronomy.
Stoneships have a cargo capacity of 3 and require a Shipyard, Astronomy, Engineering and either stone or marble. It is the only means Jotnar have to cross oceans.

Disciple
The Jotnar Gothi (acolyte), Munne (priest) and Stemme (high priest) replace all other disciple units. They can cast the spells of the state religion.
Munne and Stemme are effectively stunned for a couple of turns when the
state religion is changed.
Spoiler :

Gothi
Gothi have heard the whispered words of the Gods and are tasked with spreading these Truths among the Jotnar.
These require Whispering Stones and Education.

Munne
Bound in traditions, and more inclined to bend to their own ways then to any gods, the Jotnar do however fall under divine influence. Certain Jotnar find the calling to be Munne, the mouths of the divine, and they speak for the gods among the Jotnar.
These require Whispering Stones and Priesthood.

Stemme
More flexible than the High Priests of other tribes, the Stemme may speak for one or all Gods. Whilst they may perceive that there are many aspects of Truth, they will only focus on one facet at a time, to avoid overwhelming their minds and confusing the worshippers.
Stemme can cast the applicable spells of a Tier 3 high priest of the state religion. Stemme are not lost but are prone to doubts when the state religion is changed. Stemme can cause other disciple units to doubt their religious beliefs.
They require Theology and Incense.

Mounted
The lower tier mounted Jotnar units are all Runts; Runt Rider (Horseman), Horse Archer and Knight. The tier 4 unit is the Frost Mammoth.
Spoiler :

Frost Mammoth
Mammoths are fearsome enough but only a fool stands his ground when a hoard of Frost Giants mounted on mammoths emerges from the frozen mists.
These have +3 Cold combat but can not enter water, jungle or deserts. They are immune to cold damage but vulnerable to fire.

Hero
The Jotnar Hero is Egrass the Founder. Essentially a fast worker unit. He also provides benefits when resident in a city due to his Earth 1 and Spirit 2. There are a series of promotions, unique to him that boost the cities production, culture, food and wealth. The Once Were Warriors world spell will convert him into Egrass the Warrior.

Egrass the Warrior
Replaces Egrass the Founder when Once Were Warriors is cast. Worker promotions will be removed and level reduced accordingly.

PROJECTS
Spoiler :

The Search for Slumberers is the only ritual unique to the Jotnar. It places the Slumbering Vanir on the map and is the only way that the Jotnar can get their immortal Vanir units.

CIVICS
Spoiler :

Traditions is a unique Civic for the Jotnar. -40 percent maintenance cost for distance and -10 percent maintenance cost for number of cities. Palisades and Giant Walls provide happiness. If any other government civic is adopted by the Jotnar, there is a chance that Citizens will leave cities.
God King - The citizen in the capital will not desert.
Theocracy - Citizens in cities with Gothi/Munne/Stemme will not desert.
Aristocracy - This increases the chance that a unit built in a city will have the same race as the citizen in the city. Citizens in the cities have the Droit de Seigneur promotion, which increases unhappiness.
Melting Pot - Adopting this civic will remove the Pure Blood Lines (and Troll Supremacist) trait and replace it with Diluted Blood Lines. It gives +25 percent culture and great person appearance.

TRAITS
Spoiler :

The Jotnar start with Pure Blood Lines. This reduces the chances of Great People appearing and is required to cast Blood Will Show.
Diluted Blood Lines is gained by adopting the Melting Pot civic. It is required to cast Once Were Warriors.
Troll Supremacist gives units the Loyalty promotion. Trolls are half as costly, giants twice as costly and Runts/others three times as costly when determining whether new units can be Trolls/Giants.

MISCELLANEOUS MECHANICS
Spoiler :

As cities grow, the District/Citizen mechanic will slow the rate of population growth, unless a player prepares Districts in advance. As the land around the city hubs fills with Districts, there is less food producing land available to support the city.
Race (Giant/Troll/Runt) is assigned when a living unit is built. The number of Trolls and Giants is limited by the number of Citizens. The more Runts or other non-Giant/non-Trolls there are, the more likely that built units will be Runts. The chances of a Runt also increase with the AC. It is possible to influence the chances of the various races.

Traditions is the core Government civic of the civilization but other Government civics can be adopted, under risk of losing Citizens.

@Opuhara, just noticed that you uploaded a save which leads to a crash. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

I reinstalled version 0.14 for AoE but was unable to load that save of yours, so sorry but I don't have an answer this time.

Version 0.16 has been uploaded. I won't get around to doing the AoE patches til middle of next week.

Main changes are to the Clan of Embers hiring spells, Troll art and Staedding improvements. I've got the python popups working again so was able to tidy up a few errors hidden in the code. AI player is still disabled.

Version 0.17 uploaded.

Main changes were artwork. There was also some xml and python tidying. Details are above.

Guide to Race Unit Graphics in the attached images
Spoiler :

Row 1 (Back), Disciple; Gothi, Munne, Stemme
Row 2, Mounted; Runt Rider (Runt Only), Horse Archer (Runt Only), Knight (Runt Only), Frost Mammoth (Giant Only)
Row 3, Recon; Utemmet, Jeger, Ranger, Beastmaster
Row 4, Arcane; Sloegrrekkr, Munne, Stemme
Row 5, Ranged; Hurler, Crossbowman, Arquebus
Row 6, Melee; Kriger, Bergrisar, Jarl, Jotun, Fire Giant (Giant Only), Vanir (Giant Only)
Row 7 (Front), Miscellaneous; Settler, Citizen, Militia, Commander, Fisk Flokk (Giant Only)

Attachments

• districts.jpg
    districts.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Giants.jpg
    Giants.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 139
  • Runts.jpg
    Runts.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Trolls.jpg
    Trolls.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 168
Version 0.18 issued.

The AI first turn ctd has not been resolved.
I had not realised that onImprovementBuilt was also applied when cities are built. I blocked my code being applied when the plot involved is a city and the AI does not seem to be crashing anymore. CTD has reemerged.

Reedited onImprovementBuilt and first few runs have been ctd free. Version 0.18 in first post includes this file. Will run a load more test games tomorrow.

Version 0.19 issued.

The Jotnar don't get as many free disciples as the other civs now, reflecting their limited unit production/low birth rates. They will only get a free Gothi if they found the associated religion. These free Gothi are effectively the same as the standard Gothi and race is now assigned to these free disciples. When the Jotnar research a religious tech, the religion will automatically spread to one of their cities.
Spawning of the Stooges when Jormunds Call is build has been amended.
Few more minor corrections.

I've decided to abandon my bug hunt for the cause of the early game AI ctd. The reason I thought I'd previously fixed it is that it only occurs sporadically. I've played loads of games in a row without it occurring. It's also is not guaranteed to recur on a reload, which makes editing in the world editer to try and isolate the source problematic.

Version 0.20 issued

Just a few minor updates. This module is pretty much finished. Unless inspiration strikes me or someone makes a few suggestions, I expect that I'll issue version 1.0 next and stop active development.

Info on promos that was missing from post 29
Promotions
Spoiler :

Race Promotions
Giantkin: Can climb peaks and move through impassable terrain. Improve production in city by 1 hammer. Costs 1 extra support. Move increased by 1. Takes 30% less collateral damage. Can walk on water. Can gain the giant aging promotions.
Troll: Costs 1 extra support. Move increased by 1. Takes 15% less collateral damage. Can walk on water. Can gain the troll aging promotions. Heals 10% per turn even if moving. Bombard rate reduced. Attack strength increased by 2. 5% chance per turn of turning Feral. Resistant to poison but vulnerable to fire. Cargo capacity reduced by 1. Changes artstyle. They are animals and so vulnerable to recon units.
Runt: Cargo capacity reduced by 1. Combat strength reduced by 1. Changes artstyle.

Autoacquired Promotions
Seasoned Giant, Renowned Giant, Prominent Giant, Legendary Giant, Mythic Giant: Increase combat strengths, collateral damage protection and give Combat promotions to summons. These are gained automatically as the giants age.
Clever Troll: Autoacquired by Trolls, who are aged 50 and Hunting has been researched. This removes the vulnerability to recon units.
Wizened Troll: Autoacquired by Trolls, who are aged 100 and Tracking has been researched. Blocks Feral. Improves the healing rate. Increases movement by 1. Immune to poison damage. (may alter this to give animal invisibility).
On Giant Shoulders: Autoacquired/mustmaintain by giant and trolls on land. It increases visibility and perception and blocks Obscured Line of Sight.
Wading: Autoacquired/mustmaintain by giants in coastal water. Reduces movement by 1.
Dried Out: Autoacquired/mustmaintain by Fisk Flokk when on land. Reduces healing, strength and defence and increases visibility and perception. Blocks Obscured Line of Sight.
Droit de Seigneur: Automatically acquired by Citizens when the Aristocracy civic is in use, creating unhappiness in the cities.
Within Walls: Autoacquired/mustmaintain when in a city with Giant Walls or a Walled District. It allows the unit to avoid building defences when attacking adjacent tiles.
Jotnar Ranged: Given to Jotnar ranged units and allows them to take siege promotions.
Not Big: automatically given to living JotnarL units, who are not giants/trolls or runts to lower the cargo capacity and bombard rate.
Loyalty: Granted by Troll Supremacist trait or Jormund's Call. Immune to capture and turning Feral and betraying.
Home: Autoaquired/mustmaintain by Jotnar units in their own territory. It blocks Feral.

Spell Promotions
Religious Doubts: Given when Stemme cast the appropriate spell or gained by JotnarL religious units when the state religion changes. Unit is held for 2 turns.
Deep: Gained by sea units when the spell is cast. Reduces visibility by 2. Grants invisibility. Can not attack or be attacked.
Plans: Gained by Citizen when spell is cast to identify the spell where District Battery will be placed/Walled District will be built.

Egrass Promotions
Efficiency x: Add 1 hammer to city he's in.
Community: Add 1 happy to city he's in.
Sagas: Add 1 culture to city he's in.
Ascetism, Fasting: Add 1 food to city he's in.

Commander and Minion Promotions
Enemy Tactics: Gives minions Naval Creatures.
Naval Creatures: Allows sea creature minions to some gain naval promotions.
Capsize Commander x: Gives minions Capsizer promotion.
Capsizer x: Improves combat against naval units.
Fisk Flokk: Autoacquired by Fisk Flokk units. Gives minions Pet promotion.
Pet: Blocks Feral.

Others:
Dwarf Slayer: Granted by an event. Bonus against dwarves.
Vulnerable to Cold: exactly what it says on the tin.

I'm interested in trying this out, but two quick questions before downloading and installing:

1) is this compatible with RifE 1.4 as modified by Snarko's patch?

2) The first post still says that this module won't be compatible with the Panivo module -- is that still true? (Just so I know whether to install one rather than the other.) (Also, is the Panivo module compatible with Snarko's patch?)

Thanks.

Hi,

I've added a patch in the first post to make it compatible with Snarko. The only change I made was removing the bunitclassupgrade from the UnitInfos and UnitSchema. This was one of the changes that I did for the AoE patch. I only did one quick 10 turn autoplay with Snarko and it worked fine.

The issue with the Panivo module is the python files. Both use python links from CvEventManager. Within the modules' python folders, these have the same names and stop the python files from working properly. They only clash if they are both in the Modules/NormalModules folder. If you store the module you are not using in Inactive Modules/Normal Modules then the other should work fine. A project I may look at in the future is editing the CvEventManager modular code to allow multiple python mods to be used together.

I was going to say that to use Panivo with Snarko that you should delete the lines with bunitclassupgrade but when I checked, there was none in it. The Panivo module seems to be already compatible with Snarko.

In the next version of JotnarL I'll tidy out the bunitclassupgrade from the main module as it would appear it is not needed and then there won't be any necessity for a Snarko specific patch.

HI, I've noticed something: (which might not be true in game, but the math says it works like that:)
you need age 100 to get wisened troll... which will not go feral.
however trolls have 5% chances of going feral.
this means you have 500% of getting feral before being wisened : 1/500 of getting a wisened troll

oh...noticed you could keep them at home to block feral.
nice, but it really limit the use of trolls.
maybe reverse the vs hunter and no-feral of clever troll and wisened?

Hi,

I've only just changed the tech prerequisite for Wizened Troll from Animal Mastery to Tracking so I haven't really relied on the Wizened Troll promo to keep them from going Feral in my test games.

One approach is to use the trolls as the workers developing your lands, while the giants do the exploring and the warring. As you noted this will prevent them going feral.

If I do send a young troll out exploring, I get him as far away from the Jotnar territory as quickly as possible, so that when he goes feral he's someone else's problem.

A troll army is a very effective offensive force. They have their attacking bonus and their regeneration means that their onslaught just keeps going. They don't have to wait for healing or be supported by Gothi. A token giant can help to rip down walls and provide a bulwark against any counterattack attempts. All of Uxol the Troll Supremacist's units start with a Loyalty promotion, which prevents them turning Feral. His focus should be on using a troll army.

The other leaders can also use a troll army. Jormund's Call will provide melee units with the same Loyalty promotion that Uxol's troops get. This combined with Eugenics or the Wild Moot can provide a troll army which is not in danger of going rogue as they rampage across the planet.

---

I just noticed that I have not changed all of the Wizened Troll benefits from other modder's versions of the Jotnar. In the next version, the Wizened Trolls will not get faster and stronger. They will still block Feral but they will gain Animal Invisibility. In my vision, the trolls are getting smarter, rather than stronger.

Hi,

I've added a patch in the first post to make it compatible with Snarko. The only change I made was removing the bunitclassupgrade from the UnitInfos and UnitSchema. This was one of the changes that I did for the AoE patch. I only did one quick 10 turn autoplay with Snarko and it worked fine.

The issue with the Panivo module is the python files. Both use python links from CvEventManager. Within the modules' python folders, these have the same names and stop the python files from working properly. They only clash if they are both in the Modules/NormalModules folder. If you store the module you are not using in Inactive Modules/Normal Modules then the other should work fine. A project I may look at in the future is editing the CvEventManager modular code to allow multiple python mods to be used together.

I was going to say that to use Panivo with Snarko that you should delete the lines with bunitclassupgrade but when I checked, there was none in it. The Panivo module seems to be already compatible with Snarko.

In the next version of JotnarL I'll tidy out the bunitclassupgrade from the main module as it would appear it is not needed and then there won't be any necessity for a Snarko specific patch.

I think I'll just wait for the next (Snarko-compatible) version, then. I take it you still don't expect that to be compatible with Panivo, which means one can't have both Jotnar and Panivo in the game at the same time. That's not a problem, I just want to be clear that's all.

Thanks for your work on this.

Version 1.0 issued. It's now compatible with Snarko's patch.

I'm stopping active development of this mod but if someone finds issues or has further comments, let me know and I may get to them when I'm finished with Ydil (or so frustrated that I need a break from it).

Top Bottom