Moff's Le Grande Guerre Final Rev A

Designers Notes:

Look for more tips and tricks in this section coming soon...

Land Power

You will notice that there are quite a few of what seem to be the same troop type that you can build. That is done on purpose and is geared towards my planned PBEM version of this scenario. Infantry come in 4 basic flavors: Mobilized, Recruit, Active, and Veteran. In addition there are Guard units that are auto-produced by some nations and built by others. There are also mountain troops, marines, and cavalry.

Mobilized = cheap units that can be raised quickly but do not have any training thus making them unsuitable for front-line duty other than in dire emergencies. Use these guys mostly for garrison duty.

Recruit = troops that have had basic training but no combat experience. These guys can hold the line better than mobilized troops but still won't last long against a determined effort.

Active = troops that have had basic training and some combat experience. Best use as a decent defense unit or to hold the line in critical areas. They can even switch over to the offensive against a weak enemy.

Veteran = The cream of the crop. Battle hardened and packing a decent punch these guys can take and hold ground. They are not cheap however both in terms of shields required to produce and population costs.

Guards = The elite. Germany, France, and Austria-Hungary cannot build them. Rather they are auto-produced depending on having the right building in a city. Some cities already have the required building in place at start.

Mountain Troops = the only unit, other than workers, Entente Mountain Guns, and combat engineers that can enter mountain tiles. Mountain troops enjoy reduced movement points required to enter hills and mountains.

Marines = The only unit in game that can assault a tile directly out of a sea transport ship. ‘Nuff said.

Cavalry = While not particularly powerful on the offense cavalry has high speed and the radar ability. Use them to pillage tiles behind the lines or for scouting purposes. Most cavalry can also act as emergency defenders although they are not as good as some other units for defense. Can also detect invisible.

Artillery = all bombardment capable artillery in game has the blitz ability and a movement of 2. Collateral damage is also caused against city tiles. The artillery are not inexpensive but a must have for the WW1 battlefield.

Counter Battery Guns = have stealth ability against enemy artillery that tries to hide in stacks.

Workers = basic workers that can construct anything other than trenches and barbed wire.

Combat Engineers = workers that can only build trenches and barbed wire. These guys are lightly armed and if the situation is desperate can be used to hold the line.

Spies = use these auto-produced units to pillage behind the lines and capture enemy workers. Has the invisibility ability.

Upon the discovery of Trench Warfare Doctrine Combat Engineers appear as well as improved versions of infantry. These engineers and improved infantry can dig trenches and the engineers can also create barbed wire after making another discovery. The improved infantry also has the defensive bombardment ability making attackers think twice before assaulting entrenched units. All improved infantry also have limited anti aircraft capabilities. There are no Flak units in this scenario.

Sea Power

Dreadnoughts = At the beginning of the 20th Century Dreadnoughts were the penultimate weapons system a nation could possess on par with modern day Intercontinental Nuclear Missiles. A nation that had a fleet of Dreadnoughts was a nation that was feared. The main armament on Dreadnoughts and Pr-dreadnoughts are so powerful that they can pierce the thickest armor over long distances. (i.e. bombard range = 1) No other surface ship can project this kind of power over distance. The only drawback of these ships is that they are not very fast.

Pre-dreadnoughts = Pre-dreadnoughts were the forerunners of the Dreadnought and appeared at the tail end of the 19th Century. These prehistoric monsters were still in service at the outbreak of the Great War. Although not as powerful as Dreadnoughts, Pr-dreadnought can still project firepower at range and do significant damage to enemy fleets. These ships are also less costly to produce than Dreadnoughts. The only drawback of these ships is that they are not very fast.

Armored Cruisers = These medium sized vessels are equipped with decent armor and firepower but in no way are as powerful as their Dreadnought cousins. Use Armored Cruisers to protect your stack of Dreadnoughts. Armored Cruisers provide defensive fire whenever a stack is attacked directly by enemy ships. The only drawback of these ships is that they are not very fast.

Light Cruisers = Fast medium sized ships that provide defensive bombardment benefits to stacks under direct attack. Light cruisers will not survive for very long against it’s bigger opponents. Firepower is sufficient for dispatching lightly armed ships but are virtually ineffective against the big ships. Use Light Cruisers as fast patrol vessels, backup sub killers (need to work with Destroyers in this role), or troopship killer.

Destroyers = These small warships are best used as sub hunters. Destroyers have the detect invisible capability and possess great speed and are inexpensive to build. With no defensive bombardment ability the only reason to have a Destroyer in a stack is to provide submarine detection.

Submarines = These underwater vessels were not new by the time the Great War broke out. Submarines up until World War 1 were not used in great numbers but they were in great use by the second year of the Great War. With the invisible ability and bombard range up to 1 square away no enemy stands a chance against submarines. Do not however use subs in direct attacks against enemy shipping unless you have a guaranteed chance of winning.

Troopships = Can transport up to 4 land units across the seas and oceans.

awesome moff cant wait to try it ..lets hope it wont give any problem

lol nice screenshoot - Russia

it looks really nice thought

The title should be La Grande Guerre, war is feminine in French ;) From what I see in the preview, the units stand on the roofs of small buildings representing cities... a little offset tweaking should correct that. I'll look at it during this week.

Ok I've changed the title to reflect the proper French grammar. ;)

I've also added some more credits. I seem to have forgotten a few people so if anyone notices something don't be shy and PM me.

Nice scenario! Just gave it a quick try and noticed that there were some pixel palette issues with the large depthcharges techicon.
The corrected file is attached below.

Attachments

• Depthcharges_LG.pcx
    14.5 KB · Views: 146
Thank you sir! I appreciate this fix you've made for everybody. I had trouble on some of those pcx's with the palettes.

Hello - had a quick look at this - hope to get a game in quite soon - just wondering what the rational is for the fast unit movement rates ? They do seem a bit fast - had a few turns as Russia and the Germans were half way to Moscow before I could wrap my head around things. I do like the look and feel of this.

Regards

Hello - had a quick look at this - hope to get a game in quite soon - just wondering what the rational is for the fast unit movement rates ? They do seem a bit fast - had a few turns as Russia and the Germans were half way to Moscow before I could wrap my head around things. I do like the look and feel of this.

Regards

Yes the units in this scenario tend to be faster than what everyone is accustomed to. I did this with the main reason of encouraging the AI to build armies. Something about the AI having an easier time populating an army container with fast units as opposed to leaving infantry units with speed 1. In my play testing both the French and Italians seemed to build armies by the AI.

The other reason for the high movement rate is to portray the maneuver warfare doctrine in a way that represents what happened during the opening months of the war. Since trenches were not in existence yet the armies could move around quite freely.

You have to keep an eye on your front lines and keep a reserve force handy to intercept those AI units trying to break through your lines. Use your unit zones of control to full effect. Every infantry unit exerts a zone of control which should help contain the frontline. Once the trench warfare doctrine is discovered it will be far easier for you to keep the AI at bay.

Some more tips: Hills cost 3 points to enter, forests cost 2, and mountains are impassable to all except mountain troops, workers, combat engineers, and Entente Mountain Artillery.

Very innovative system.

It may be some time before I get to work on the tech tree though, or play civ for that matter. Lot's of English homework and reading to do.

Goodo - I'll adapt my play style ! Had a few more turns and quite enjoying the pace. There is a bit of AI razing so this might be one scenario where you recommend people use the no-raze patch.

looks great, Moff :) nice work.

Vuldacon should get 100% credit for the stuff you pulled from AoI. he did the gfx work for it almost exclusively (units notwithstanding although he 'fixed' alot of them too).

Top Bottom