[R&F] Monarchy

acluewithout

Deity
Does anybody take Monarchy? Does anyone like it?

I often take Monarchy, but I know it’s not optimal.

Partly I take it because I often end up in that part of the tech tree. Partly, it’s because I like to explore / play with mechanics, and currently I like trying to get some value out of the military cards (although I realise all the other cards are better).

But mostly I like it because I like roleplaying having a medieval monarchy.

I guess there’s some vague synergy with Norway and Japan because you may need a production card for Beserkers and Samurai, and you also want the maintenance card and pillage card and loyalty card.

I love the idea of housing from walls but I’ve yet to make it really work. You can just get too much housing from districts and farms. Maybe it would be more useful for cities without fresh water?

Not since R&F. Housing is not really that important. It's probably the government I take the least along with fascism and Classical Republic.

I do sometimes pass over the civic for the wonder card.

I think it's kinda weird how it's just sorta there considering monarchy should be a big deal.

I take it when I say screw the warmonger penalty I'm going for it! It's a timing thing really and when I'm not playing a true religious civ.

You don't need military cards all the time. Honestly, the option for 2 at most even when you are playing aggressively. All the government types give you that possibility at least.

There should be more differences between government types than just card slots. Monarchy should be cheaper to change policy cards in between the normal times to change policy cards or there should be no cost at all. Merchant republic should cost money any time policy cards are changed even between normal times of policy change. Theocracy could stay as it is, but cost faith also as well as cash in between normal times of policy change.

Last edited:
I do it for the extra envoy points and nothing else. If I'm planning culture then I run it to Merchant Republic or keep on it. I just make sure I have all the chariots built that I will need or can afford to upgrade because it obsoletes Corvee card or whatever the Ancient/Classical cavalry bonus card is.

The legacy card for Merchant Republic and Monarchy both stink so that's not an issue. Running Monarchy for a long time and grabbing Merchant Confederation for +1 gold per envoy can be really lucrative in the end game. Of course, this means you will need to protect those CS which isn't always possible. But if you have envoys there then a great chance to trigger an emergency and get a payout.

If I'm going science then I can't culturally afford the detour to Monarchy. Merchant Republic all the way.

Last edited:
I do not pick monarchy. Prefer to stay oligarchy for extra strength in battle. I can circle the cards to get by

Depends on circumstances, but I like Monarchy when I have at least 4 CS that I
can keep other civs from discovering until I have 3 or more envoys in each.
I'm not sure, but to me it seems the AIs don't tend to compete for CS as hard
early in the game if there are already 5 or more envoys.

Top Bottom