Mongolian UP - Does it work? If so when to use?

Cossack Captain

Chieftain
I cannot figure out this Mongolian UP - it sounds ingenious in theory but like paper it does not present itself in the praxis. It says to raze a large city and the smaller ones will surrender to you but here is the problem most large cities are very valuable and much better in keeping rather than destroying! Beijing for instance often has a religion shrine or two which means $$$$, always has some useful World Wonder to use and well why destroy it for some lesser city???

Does anyone of good examples of how Mongolian UP works in practice???

Raze the biggest Turkish city and Asia minor should surrender.
My pet peeve is that the UP does not work on independents.

From my perspective, the only time I would use it is for the UHV, for cities that simply grab land, and the city itself isn't that important.

Actually a second idea:
to knock out a Euro civ, take its big city with a surgical strike, have the other cities surrender, and the civ would be crippled, if not collapsing.

Iffy Siberian cities that are worth more burning down than paying maintenance and tech cost for?

Yea but those Siberian cities will probably get you closer to your UHV goal since there is so much empty land in Siberia with few enemies. to worry about. They probably don't have a big population so the resistance will end quickly and sending a settler down there yourself takes time you may not have.

From my perspective, the only time I would use it is for the UHV, for cities that simply grab land, and the city itself isn't that important.

Actually a second idea:
to knock out a Euro civ, take its big city with a surgical strike, have the other cities surrender, and the civ would be crippled, if not collapsing.

Exactly. Take down Berlin and you will get most of the rest of the German cities, which are often closely packed between Netherlands and Russia.

Yeah, it would work great in Europe. Too bad it took me playing Mongolia 3 times before I figured how it works. I used to raze the little cities then got really angry when the big cities didn't submit :crazyeye:

IMO it would be better if it was less powerful (maybe have a 50% chance to work) but work on any city of size 5/6+ (IE: provided it's not a village but a city). The comparative dimension doesn't make a lot of sense from a realistical pow, and is almost unapplicable from the practical pow, even considering a side detail like you might not know the dimension of nearby cities because you didn't explore the map yet.

IMO it would be better if it was less powerful (maybe have a 50% chance to work) but work on any city of size 5/6+ (IE: provided it's not a village but a city). The comparative dimension doesn't make a lot of sense from a realistical pow, and is almost unapplicable from the practical pow, even considering a side detail like you might not know the dimension of nearby cities because you didn't explore the map yet.

Ah but if your being the mongols as they were in RL you would have scouted ahead with what was the greatest spy network of the age.

Actually that's an idea - have the mongols spawn with a spy or two to scout china for best razing potential...

Top Bottom