Montezuma - against me?

The AI plays differently depending on who the leader is. Certain leaders like Monty, Napoleon, and Toku are super aggressive. Some leaders like Gandhi aren't. So you can expect certain behaviors from those leaders.

If you want to change it up, there is an option when starting a custom game to "Randomize AI". That means the AI scripts aren't the same for every leader every time you play. Maybe this time it's Monty that will never declare war and Gandhi that is a warmongorer. But maybe it's not different. It will be random, so you have to guess how the leaders will act.

don't forget alexander

You know the skull Monty wears on his head?

It was the last man to call him Montgomery.

lol. good one.

i personally hate him, except in one circumstance:

3 people left, me (Mao), Mansa, and Monty. mansa is btween us, Monty declares war on Mansa, i declare war on both, domination.

Yeah, I hate the fact that Monty always wants to whack the stuff out of you. The Aztecs would have made an excellent ally in the early age, with their Jaguars.

monty is a total weirdo. he was trying some kind of reverse-psychology worker-stealing jedi mind-tricks on me in one game. the evidence:
Spoiler :

this is the turn he declared war:

i guess the actual explanation is that i got a border pop after he declared war, so the worker was technically on his land when he declared and then it became my land. but it got even weirder later in the same war when ...

dude. i just razed the second city you ever built. i know you're spiritual and you don't have to go through anarchy. but i hardly think that this is the time to change to the civic that lets your workers build improvements faster, considering that they're all hiding in the few cities you have left! WTH are you thinking??? that was the only civics change that he made that turn. that was in fact the last civics change he made before his civilization was eliminated. it never did occur to me to ask the free workers i got whether they appreciated those years of serfdom while vacationing inside of cities at the end.
there's just nobody else quite like monty.

He'll declare war even if he's friendly but don't worry he'll have archers and you'll have modern armour!

Not actually true...he'll declare at Pleased, but not Friendly, not even if someone tries to bribe him to do so (Catherine is the only leader who can be bribed to do that while Friendly). What happens sometimes though, is that he'll decide to declare war on you while Pleased, but become Friendly by the time his troops reach your border. At that moment, he'll still declare, despite the improvement in relations. The time lag between his decision to attack you and the actual declaration of war can be confusing. It's not just him though; all civs will do that (although for many others the effect occurs between Cautious and Pleased).

monty ftw!!!!!!

Ahhh..fond memories of Monty are awoken by that pic from GVBN...
*sigh*...
If only I didn't kill him every time he attacked me wearing that grin...

Anyways, each leader is programmed differently; some are uber warmongers, others are peace freaks. Select "Random Leader Personalities" on the Custom Game screen to opt for a more peaceful Monty.

There's nothing like seeing those lime green borders expanding towards you early in the game. Monty is only ever a problem if there's 2 or 3 civs between yourself and him, especially if you're using a Pangaea map. I'd rather be in close proximity to Monty, as that at least allows you to nail him early on. Napoleon on the other hand, he's better at the other side of the map as I've found he tends to declare on his neighbours rather than distant civs.

Monty is fantastic and I always, always include him in my games. As others have mentioned, he can be bribed to attack anyone irrespective of religion, relationship and location. If used properly, he can be manipulated and can be used as an extension of your own military, which allows you to cripple an AI opponent without exhausting your own military and incurring rep hits.

The games where i use him often (mostly on continental maps and only if he's on the other continent), I tend to gift him techs as that allows him to become stronger and in turn is more likely to cripple your main rival/s.

Lets be honest, he's never going to win the space race or become a diplomatic powerhouse, so it's not as if he's going to hinder your victory.

Probably the best ever AI civ in any Civ game.

Just now I was playing on Earth 1000 map. It was the year 2125, and previously in the 19th century I had defeated Montezuma in a war and he had capitulated to me. Now I was the second strongest on the map (Elizabeth) and only Saladin could match me, and even still I had plenty of nukes and plenty of allies (European Christian countries).

Monty was not friends with Saladin. Despite him being the weakest country on the map he decided to stop capitulation with me, and then I declared war on him. Finished in thirty turns.

If there are, you can bribe Monty to attack almost anyone you want. He's so easy to bribe.

Using aggressive civs to attack others is so useful. Like if Mansa is teching like crazy and you can ask your friend monty to declare on him. I've had some of the aggressive AIs declare war just because I asked them to - I didn't even have to give them anything.

Well monty is ussually behind in tech, so I don't mind gifting him a nice juicy military tech to DoW on someone else.

I don't really like napoleon very much. When he is right next door, he will wait until you are busy in another war, or happen to move your units away from his border. Then he'll DoW right away and capture an undefended city.

With monty, there are always 1 of 2 outcomes. I play continents so I ussually see number 1.

1. He goes on a war rampage with a weak tech freak neighbour (mansa or ghandi) and will get them to capitulate. He will then take their techs while he continues to capitulate all of his neighbours.

2. He decides to fight everyone with a different religion, followed by people with the same religion, this ussually results in a capitulated monty that likes to be furious for the rest of the game because he only has 2-3 cities that suck.

In EVERY GAME I'VE PLAYED Montezuma has featured, and every time he declares war on me. What's up with Montezuma?

monty is a super back stabber. even if you are friendly or pleased with him, he WILL declare war on you if your border is slightly loose, OR you are in the middle of a war with other states.
I found Monty is most vicious right after rifling has been discovered.
get hold of him before he becomes a realistic threat.

Best game ever. I played with Monty and Gandhi with random personalities and Gandhi was super agressive and Monty was peacefull. It was wacky

Yup, sounds like good old Monty alright. I was at war w/Napoleon for about 2500 years (since we are half an earth away on a gigantic map, I only saw 2 of axemen in the entire course) Monty (who is even farther away than the french) decided that his lone horse archer that traveled to me is good enough to declare on me RIGHT AFTER my first calvery was born....but to be fair, that was one heck of a horse archer, he somehow took down my war elephant (99.9% odds in my favor) be4 I took him down w/a warrior (didn't have money for upgrading)

Top Bottom