Moo3 at Half Price & questions.

Sleestak

Chieftain
I bought a copy of Moo2 on CD ROM at a Half Price Books store in Houston for $5. Two local Half Price stores had stacks of Moo2. Maybe they have Moo2 everywhere. Half price books is a major chain that has a huge number of locations in Texas, the midwest, and the upper plains.

So I never played Moo until a few weeks ago, but I have a favorite race: The Sleestak, inspired by Land of the Lost.

Sakkra picture
Unification
Subterranean (I loves me some population bonuses)
Research +1 (even the degenerate Sleestak of LotL had the Library of Skulls, and the brilliant Enik might have been a different morph of the same species. The idea that a species would have multiple morphs ties in with Unification.
Repulsive (They trap children with nets and try to eat them)
Smallest minus to ground combat (They move slow)
Smallest minus to Ship Defense.

I imagine my Sleestak as a race with excellent hearing and sensitive eyes. A Sleestak planet has huge structures underground while still having major structures above ground. The Sleestak completely transform a planet with their huge populations and always push up the tech tree to Terraforming at the expense of military tech unless they are forced into an early war. A tight cluster of highly developed systems seems to be far superior to a sprawling empire.

The population bonus seems vital. A planet can be a research colony and still have decent production. This becomes a huge advantage in mid-game. And big populations help if you get Heightened Intelligence.

I have a couple of questions:

If I choose Warlord through Evolutionary Mutation would I be better off by selling all my Space Academies? Or are the effects of Warlord and Academies cumulative?

I've read some Moo2 guides and they seem to recommend Tolerant or Aquatic if you're going for population bonus. Sub seems more universal than Aqua. I know that Aquatic means that you don't need to do as much terraforming to get its bonuses, but what about the planets that terraform into Desert or Arid rather than Tundra or Swamp? Sub is working well for me, why the bias toward Aqua?

I am also playing a race called the Prawns, after District 9. They are the same as my Sleestak, but they have a +2 reproduction bonus and aren't subterranean.

IIRC, I think that Aquatic takes up less of the precious "picks" leaving more for other things.

I haven't played Orion 2 in a long time, though, I am more of an Orion 1 person myself.

Raid

Heh. I was about to come in here and say you paid too much, but well done for buying it.

I haven't played for along time as my friend lost my CDs somehow. (I think one of his other friends stole it from his house, but I have no proof).

Here's a link to a great strat guide written by a top MP player.

http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2005/03/master-of-orion-ii-strategy-guide.html

Here's another decent strat guide and I've linked to race design. http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion_II/Some_effective_race_designs

If you play one of the two recommended production races you'll soon learn to absolutely destroy the AI civs on Impossible on large/cluster/huge maps with default number of civs. Production is key bcuz you can quickly expand and build things and if attacked early (can happen from nearby AI's on Impossible) you can build a ship quickly to defend. With a production race you end up at least keeping even with a super tech race like DemoLith, but often outteching it due to superior population and having tech buildings like autolabs whereas you're production is clearly superior.

If you want to play a tech race, DemoLith is good but be careful to have plenty of defensive spies and some spy techs since your stuff will be stolen noting Democracy is weak for spying. DemoLith also suffers (especially on prewarp which is all I play) from lack of early expansion and from poor early production if blitzed.

I play patch 1.40.23 I think and it comes with DOSbox when you buy the game (discounted this weekend) from Good Old Games. (GOG)

The easiest race to play is UniTol since due to no pollution you can just shift back and forth between production and research or farming and not worry about pollution waste due to a production rush where you suddenly throw 10 researchers into production. ie as UniTol you can play and not really worry about stockpiling production. However, UniAquaProd+2 is also extremely strong.

Re: Evo Mute. I always take WarLord since I need the huge CP increase to take over the map, often attacking in two or three places at once while defending somewhat. I am unsure how this affects Space Academies, although I tend to not have very many of them since I am only cranking out war ships from a few good production oriented planets and making transports from a few other planets.

... neilkaz ...

Top Bottom