More Espionage Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by wilkie, Mar 3, 2006.

1. wilkie

wilkie Chieftain

Rest assured, I know how to establish embassies/plant spies and undertake spy missions.

My main question is this - Beyond the spy experience (dependent upon gov), does the RNG completely govern failure/success? With many of my games, it seemed I had to wait about 4 turns before I could successfully plant a spy with a different civ.

I'm messed with this for a while and upon several reloads with I was able to plant spies with 2 civs (any civ) before the next attempt was detected. I'd wait 4 more turns, plant 2 more spies, lather rinse repeat.

Any ideas?

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

A flag is set if you fail and that make the chances of sucess on thenext turn very low. Each turn a percentage is added, in the main you need to wait 4 or 5 turns to be back on the same footing as before you failed.

There is an article, I am sure that covers all the detail, but many factors go into some of the missions.

3. The 777 Hoax

The 777 Hoax future skeleton

I've noticed it's very hard to conduct espionage when you're at war with another civ. Is that supposed to happen?

4. rysingsun

rysingsun King

in vanilla the flag is cleared after 3 turns, and if you try to insert a spy every turn you will fail every turn and set the flag again, so that your 3 turns are never completed. in C3C if you attempt to insert a spy before the flag is up you will have a reduced chance (but not zero chance) and the flag will be set.

5. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Well if you do not have spies, it is impossible to conduct espionage, while at war. Otherwise war is not a factor.

6. wilkie

wilkie Chieftain

I figured as much. I was wondering on the particulars for planting a spy as I'm getting bored of waiting 5 or 6 turns for spy insertion...on a map with 23 other civs. I guess I could switch to Commie but I'm enjoying the 0% tax and +325 gpt as Demo.

Back to biding my time and mass producing Cavs and Arties.