More newb questions

tbplayer59

Chieftain
First of all, I just won my first game on standard difficulty. It was a science victory, so I got to see the SS launch and didn't have to play all the way to 2050. Now the questions...

1. If I open a trade route to one of my cities and send them production, does that speed up whatever they're working on?

2. Are there some production items that a Great Engineer can't speed up? I bought a GE with the intent of speeding up production on a SS component, but the game wouldn't let me.

3. What hexes are the best on which to have the GE build a manufactory?

4. When opening up a trade route to another major civ, you see a list of resources that they have usually with something like "0.5 per turn." Are you supposed to be receiving those resources? It seems like the only resources I get are those from a negotiated trade deal and those given to me by an allied CS.

Thanks in advance!

I can't answer them all, as I'm no expert, but:

1) That city will get the extra production, but not necessarily for whatever you are currently building. It adds to the overall production of that city, not to whatever is being built. It may shave off a turn or two (depending upon that's city's production), but it's not specifically going towards the current build.

2) Great Engineers can't be used to speed up SS components. The Great Engineer is used for things like great and national wonders. Maybe also buildings. But not for SS parts, nor to build the Apollo program.

3) Great Engineers can be planted on "strategic" resources (i.e., coal, oil, aluminum, etc.) Not luxuries (i.e. wine, dyes, gold, salt, etc.). I personally never plant for manufacturies.

4) I'm not sure. To be honest--I usually only look at how much gold I can get.

I'm sure the experts will weigh in soon.

1 A trade route lasts for 30 turns. During those 30 turns, the city you send the trade route to will get an increased production per turn.

2 The level 3 freedom tener "Space Procurements" allows you to rush SS parts.

3 I also never place factories. Scientists are a much more popular GP. Both are used 90% for their 1 time boost unless they come very early.

4 The trade route gives you gold for every resource that the cities have differing from one another. So in your example it stats that you get 0.5 gold per turn because the target city has that indicated resource which your city does not. Theres also some other factors that go into the gold and science that either of you get. You see rewards listed for you listed with an arrow in one direction and for the other civ with an arrow in the other direction. Assuming you are ahead in research you get less science than they do (or none at all) but you get more gold because it is your route.

1. It increases the cities production.

2. GEs can't speed projects (Apollo, World Fair etc) and ss parts.

3. No tiles.

4. Trade routes can push religious pressure regardless of the type. External trade routes can get gold, and if to a major civ also get science. Internal routes can give food or hammers.

4. When opening up a trade route to another major civ, you see a list of resources that they have usually with something like "0.5 per turn." Are you supposed to be receiving those resources? It seems like the only resources I get are those from a negotiated trade deal and those given to me by an allied CS.

You can only get lux and strat resources through negotiations. This is my understanding of what is happening in the screen you're describing; The resources you see on that screen are an explination of why you are receiving how much gold you are receiving for that trade route. That ".5 per turn" means you're getting .5 Gold Per Turn (GPT) because the civ you're trading with has that resource. Resource diversity is one of the things that increases GPT for trade routes. So if you see 6 Luxury Resources (Salt, Copper, Citrus, Gems, Pearls and Whales) each with a ".5 per turn" next to them, that is telling you that you are receiving an extra 3 GPT from that route simply because the civ that route goes to has those resources.

3. What hexes are the best on which to have the GE build a manufactory?
Thanks in advance!
the best tiles are horses/cows/sheep
u ondly loose one production by doing so and the tiles stil get's the stable bonus and a manufactory enables stables

but geting a GE, if not for a very important wonder, is bad play in the first play.
since for every GE u get u get one less GS

1. Yes it speeds everything up as long as the trade route is active (30 turns). The receiving city gets extra production, the sending city gets nothing (but it doesn't lose anything either). From what I recall the production form trade routes is not buffed (it doesn't get the 10% form workshop and later on factories and plants). In general the internal food is better than hammers though.

2. From what I know the spaceship parts, Apollo Program and Manhattan Project can't be rushed with an engineer. And of course international projects like World Fair, International Games or International Space Station. Spaceflight Pioneers from Order ideology let's you use engineers to rush spaceship parts.

3. Generally it's not very good to plant a great engineer since it's only 4 hammers per turn, but if you want to plant it then the same rules as for the academy apply. You want a tile that you will be working the entire game, and that will not lose a lot of yields. So either a grassland that is not adjacent to a river/lake, or some bonus resource that gives additional resources (through buildings like granary, stable, forge) even if it's unimproved (like deer, cow, horse, etc).

4. You don't receive the resource, but resource diversity is one thing that gets factored when calculating the gold received from that trade route. This is why it's shown. The formula it's a little bit longer, and I don't know it exactly, I just sort them either by science per turn or by gold per turn and take a safe route with higher income. I know that markets buff the gold received, also cities on a river, and cities with caravansary.

Top Bottom