Most competitive AI opponent?

Korea, Poland and Greece are the trifecta of Doom. If you meet them early and want go warmonger, start with them before they get too strong.
Exactly my experiences. Add in Shoshone and these four are dependably the most dominant civs in my games.

Exactly my experiences. Add in Shoshone and these four are dependably the most dominant civs in my games.

How odd. For me it is 9/10 times the Iroquois. Poland and Greece get runaways quickly yes, but Korea? NEVER had it as a runaway. if not destroyed by war with Bismarck or Nebby, it's always average.

You've covered a lot of them for me as well...but let me add my voice of support that Greece is probably most consistently the AI that is competitive in my games...throughout the entire ciV experience, beginning with Vanilla shortly after release.

Poland
Poland
Poland

Greece is strong until i decide to break their smaller cities. Doesnt matter if they have the largest army since they are half a continent away and my navy is no. 1 Carthage ftw

Hiawatha, Alexander, Casimir.

I just don't understand how hiawatha can get so good tech, with that garbage city spam wide empire. Is it just their unique building which allows good hammers from lumber mills? Yeah, and they get free roads from forest, I take it that they get free railroads from forest also?

Maybe hiawatha simply gains so many "raw bonuses" which get amplified with AI bonuses, that they become so unstoppable in most games? If the land is good, the unique building and unique ability will provide very powerful boost, hiawatha is very powerful, assuming you put your cities in correct places.

Alexander is just a pain in the butt with his city state stealing shenanigans.

Casimir is usually also quite strong, but mostly just because he's aggressive with war, and has advanced policies and stuff usually.

But Hiawatha is the grey boogeyman of civ5 IMO.

Hiawatha and Alexander were constant runaways since Vanilla.

Augustus started running away since BNW and he does it really, really well.

Casimir always becomes a runaway IF he doesn't get involved in an early war with someone competent. If someone wars him early, he's just going to feed him... Which makes him even more annoying. Know Augustus, the guy who took his lands? He's obviously going to be my biggest problem in the game, and now he has more easily taken cities.

Alex and Hiawatha can defend against other AI's early attacks with ruthless efficiency, but Casimir fails at that.

Catherine used to be a constant runaway with great, solid gameplay... But lately? She never does good. I don't know what happened to her, but with BNW she became Askia tier. Why? I don't get it. Granted, every time she did badly she started next to Genghis Khan, and for some reason she only appears together with him lately. (Random)

Always half-runaway? Ramkhamhaeng. He's typically my second most powerful enemy, but since he hates everything I do I really dislike him.

Overall, I fear Casimir the most. Either he becomes much more annoying than Hiawatha, Augustus or Alexander, or he makes one of the runaways as bad as he typically is by very effectively feeding them lands. There's rarely any middle ground with this guy.

Hate Ethiopia with their culture and faith, hate Siam because they spam cities with Wats and also run away culturally, and hate Suleiman because he expands rapidly and won't stop until there is nowhere to expand on the planet.

Your country actually beat Russia once, so...
I am not sure if the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth actually "beat" the Duchy of Muscovy, but the Russian Empire surely partitioned Poland (the Duchy of Warsaw) with Prussia and the Austrian Empire, and then later USSR divided Poland with Nazi Germany. :rolleyes:

I am not sure if the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth actually "beat" the Duchy of Muscovy, but the Russian Empire surely partitioned Poland (the Duchy of Warsaw) with Prussia and the Austrian Empire, and then later USSR divided Poland with Nazi Germany. :rolleyes:

And Russia lost to Japan and got dominated by the Mongols, and Germany lost both World Wars and (as Prussia) was defeated by France. :rolleyes: Yet those two countries don't get the bad rap that Poland does.

I think Austria is a beast actually. If Austria is in the game, forget about city states without patronage and when she buy them in the late game . . .bahh

My list is consistent with y'all have -- my top 4:

1) Greece, *especially* if on other side of map.
2) Austria, can end up being worse than Greece if they get a hold early. Often, though, I see them smacked down early by other AIs.
3) Hiawatha (mega-spawner), consistently does extremely well.
4) Poland

There are others that can build to runaway status, but these are the only ones I find that are a pain in the ass extremely consistently.

My vote for the suckiest is Portugal. I don't think I've ever seen them win a game. They're consistently cannon fodder.

I'd go with Austria as being one of the toughest.

She likes to ally city states and build coalitions with the other AI, so she always has an ally in a war.

She has a hill start bias which gets her above average production which coupled with level bonuses can really stack up. Similar to Hiawatha in this regard.

Her UB gets her a production boost and helps generate great people. Her UU is a stronger version of a strong base unit. The UU is also late enough that it does not distract her early in the game and when it comes around her production is high enough to spam them.

Her UA lets her expand into fully built up city states that come with their own army and navy for a very small amount of gold. When she buys a city state it also seems to not make the world angry at her either.

Hiawatha is also good due to his increased production coupled with AI level bonuses and a tendency to expand.

Cathy & Hiawatha are my 2 most hated civs. Their rapid expansion and love for war drive me insane.
Darius is also a pain finishing coveted wonders a turn before me.

I'm surprised Washington hasn't been mentioned yet.

While I dislike jumping on the bandwagon, Greece is generally the most competitive AI in my experience. Germany, Inca and Iroquois are also pains in my rear end, for their ability to grow and maintain large empires and strong economies and militaries.

Atilla can be annoying, but it's really easy to take down his cities

Greece is really annoying, but he is willing to join my war if I'm his friend

The Celts never prove to be much to me, but in my last game they spammed cities and conquered The Inca and Arabia, AND also took on dominator Atilla

I remember a Maya game in which I spawned on Africa with Hiawatha. I was lucky to basically get as far north as the northern borders of Zambia, Mozambique and Angola. The rest was Iroquois. It did prove to be awesome however, because he had created a wall between the world and me. I won a runaway science victory, because naval attacks were destroyed by my large navy

Best 5:

Siam (I really, really hate this guy and his fat, stupid elephants)
Greece (Large empire and insane city-states)
Russia (Expands early, always strong in science)
Maya (Often does everything well)
America (Usually pretty strong too)

Worst 5:

Songhai (Never does anything good)
China (Was decent before BNW, but now she always remains tall, and is rarely a threat)
Mongols (attack city-states and nearby civs, and either gets really good or falls. Usually falls)
Polynesia (AI can't use their ability even in archipelago. Also, moai sucks. Why use that precious land for culture in island map, and not enough coast on pangaea)
France (Napoleon goes to war early, but rarely succedes)

Best 5:

Siam (I really, really hate this guy and his fat, stupid elephants)
Greece (Large empire and insane city-states)
Russia (Expands early, always strong in science)
Maya (Often does everything well)
America (Usually pretty strong too)

Worst 5:

Songhai (Never does anything good)
China (Was decent before BNW, but now she always remains tall, and is rarely a threat)
Mongols (attack city-states and nearby civs, and either gets really good or falls. Usually falls)
Polynesia (AI can't use their ability even in archipelago. Also, moai sucks. Why use that precious land for culture in island map, and not enough coast on pangaea)
France (Napoleon goes to war early, but rarely succedes)

China has always been buggy. AI CKNs always only fire once, yet they build so many.

Al mansur gets the lead in some games. Dido sometimes gets the lead.
Mongolia sometimes gets the bottom tier since ais team on Mongolia for capturing city states.

Top Bottom