Most Disliked Civ to Play

Agreed completely.
America is a good civ, Americans just want it to be OP or something.
Afterall I want Rome and Venice to be OP too admittedly.

I disagree. I just can't feel motivated to play as America. Their ability lack creativity altoghether, even if it's not one of the weakest in the game. It's just hard to have fun when playing as them. And I can certainly point out that this is not "nationalist bias", trust me.

Denmark makes me want to alt+f4.

Now that's a feeling I understand completely.

I like Denmark, because I love amphibious invasions, particularly late-game. America, India, Greece, Siam, I haven't gone back into playing them after getting the achievement. They're just boring. I can't say the same about any warmonger civ, as Japan or Mongols, as I like war. It's just that they're not as viable anymore, because early war was severely hampered.

It seems that Denmark is severely disliked around here. Now, I recently completed a game as them, and I have to say, the thing that annoyed me the most about them was that they expend all their movement points when embarking, just like every other civilisation. It seems to me that if you can disembark for only one movement point, then you should also be able to embark for only one. If their UA were to be changed to include that particular bonus, then they would be perfect in my eyes, at least

I think Denmark's issue for me is that it's something you go out of your way to do. It's sort of like waiting for Giant Death Robots before going on a domination spree: you could've done it differently, but you chose not to.

This is how I see amphibious invasions. They are cool to pull off but a handful of Frigates and a Privateer could've done the job just as well, and when you upgrade your Frigates into Battleships cities further inland will also get crushed. You will also feel less compelled to build the Great Lighthouse for that extra embarktion movement. This also doesn't suffer from the fact the AI loves to cram a ton of units into its own borders if you play on a high difficulty.

It is also further hampered by the bottom techs lacking infrastructure. Frigates are up at the top of the tech tree which has become even more useful in BNW due to offering archaeology and extra trade routes.

I also think America is just a 'meh' civ now. Minutemen are nice and having that extra sight early makes exploration very easy but it's land grabbing aspect has been thoroughly trounced with the introduction of the Shoshone - they get extra land for free and don't even get an increase in culture cost for any further tiles they'll grab. Some sort of change would be nice to see - and it's definitely not nationalistic feelings at play here, as suggested by some, since I'm European.

You will also feel less compelled to build the Great Lighthouse for that extra embarktion movement.
The Great Lighthouse doesn't increase the speed of embarked units. So far, the only way to have higher than standard embarked speed is to be playing as either England or Denmark, and Denmark gets that lovely disembarkation bonus, though, as I mentioned earlier, they also shouldn't expend all their movement points when embarking, in my opinion.

I tend to play underdog-civs a lot, but Denmark is just so "underdog" it isn't even funny... thank god that germany and japan gets a boost/tweak as well... if they only could fix America as well...?

Sweden. I just don't like them, and as such I never play them.

And I still think America is one of the best civs. Extra sight in the early game is huge. Half priced tiles is more of an advantage than most people realize (at least for my play style). And Minutemen are the the second best gunpowder UU, IMHO.

The Great Lighthouse doesn't increase the speed of embarked units. So far, the only way to have higher than standard embarked speed is to be playing as either England or Denmark, and Denmark gets that lovely disembarkation bonus, though, as I mentioned earlier, they also shouldn't expend all their movement points when embarking, in my opinion.

Ah yes, you're right. I remembered it wrong, I knew something gave a bonus movement that wasn't a tech and it's actually the Naval Tradition policy in the commerce tree that gives a bonus to embark movement despite not mentioning it.

I just went and tested it to confirm it by disabling BNW and only playing G&K. The exploration tree in BNW doesn't seem to grant this movement bonus anymore to embarked units which seems like an indirect nerf to Denmark unless I'm missing something.

G&K: Image 1, Image 2
You can see the warrior gaining a movement point after selecting the policy.

BNW: Image 1, Image 2
Here is the BNW equivalent policy with the same description yet no embark bonus.

New on my hate list: Ethiopia. Tried a religious game, neighbor Bismarck was spamming missionaries as if he was a new convert to Westboro Baptist Church. So I joined everyone in a war against him, conquered 3 cities, suddenly my UA and UU became useless. It's worse than India.

Ah yes, you're right. I remembered it wrong, I knew something gave a bonus movement that wasn't a tech and it's actually the Naval Tradition policy in the commerce tree that gives a bonus to embark movement despite not mentioning it.

I just went and tested it to confirm it by disabling BNW and only playing G&K. The exploration tree in BNW doesn't seem to grant this movement bonus anymore to embarked units which seems like an indirect nerf to Denmark unless I'm missing something.

G&K: Image 1, Image 2
You can see the warrior gaining a movement point after selecting the policy.

BNW: Image 1, Image 2
Here is the BNW equivalent policy with the same description yet no embark bonus.
Yup, you're right. I recently played a game as Denmark with both the Great Lighthouse and a full Exploration tree, and neither of them affected the embarked units. If the Exploration opener granted embarked units bonus movement speed in G&K, then they have indeed been indirectly nerfed. Personally, I wouldn't mind if both the Great Lighthouse and the Exploration opener affected embarked units. While this could potentially give Denmark 5 movement points on the sea, and 4 to move around on land when disembarking in the Medieval era, they already have a unique unit with a speed of 3 instead of 2 in the Medieval era, so it isn't much of a difference, honestly. Also, you would, in the late game, have embarked units with 7 movement points and a sight radius of 3, but by that point you could probably already have Blitzkrieg tanks with a land speed of 6, so, again, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. In fact, the civilisation I suspect would benefit the most from such a buff to the Great Lighthouse and Exploration opener would probably be Polynesia, as this would boost their ability to explore and settle navally in the Medieval era quite nicely.

New on my hate list: Ethiopia. Tried a religious game, neighbor Bismarck was spamming missionaries as if he was a new convert to Westboro Baptist Church. So I joined everyone in a war against him, conquered 3 cities, suddenly my UA and UU became useless. It's worse than India.
Their UB is awesome, though, and thus actually encourages them to go wide. Also, if you do go wide, the Mehal Sefari at least still get a free Drill promotion, which could be quite awesome combined with the Alhambra and/or Brandenburg Gate, and the Barracks line of buildings.

You had a 20% combat strength bonus that only expired after you had permanently crippled your foe. Sounds pretty nice to me, really.

You had a 20% combat strength bonus that only expired after you had permanently crippled your foe. Sounds pretty nice to me, really.

Nah, Germany had four cities, I had three, so it only worked against his first city. Ethiopia ability was meaningful while you had to be small to get a cultural victory. Not everybody have 3 cities during the most of the game and you can and should go wide to get a cultural win, it's pretty damn meaningless.

I tend to play underdog-civs a lot, but Denmark is just so "underdog" it isn't even funny... thank god that germany and japan gets a boost/tweak as well... if they only could fix America as well...?

I don't understand all that Denmark hate, their UA is awesome if there is a decent amount of water. Also one of few civs that can pull off a quick domination archipelago win before boring frigate rush. You can get a cat or treb on water, disembark setup and shoot all on same turn, now that is fun. Bersekers getting four tiles inland to pillage, and no amphibious penalty. If you like fighting, what's not to like.

I like any civs that offer something different in the way game is played, and not having to spam archers is always welcome.

I will agree on Germany, India and US as somewhat bland and uninspiring civs, UAs and UUs.

Polynesia, I can't stand them.

Their UB is awesome, though, and thus actually encourages them to go wide. Also, if you do go wide, the Mehal Sefari at least still get a free Drill promotion, which could be quite awesome combined with the Alhambra and/or Brandenburg Gate, and the Barracks line of buildings.

I never played Ethiopia as small empire. Same goes for Egypt, Maya and every other civ that has great UB. Spam lot of cities with Egypt, build their temples that cost no gpt, find a religion and add extra happiness\culture to temples, and you have one very powerful building (+4 happiness\+2faith\+2culture for no gold!). Then yes, I wan to spam cities like crazy with Egypt. and Maya? Two science per shrine? With Messenger of the Gods? Spam them like crazy. :lol: It's 4 science per turn just from that city, not counting Library and other tech buildings. :goodjob:

I've never played civs that only get their UA through war, so ones like Ashy and Atty are out. Also ones that get their UA rarely or with increasing rarity, so Pedro is out. He's also out because you can get GA's through combat with his UU, but the UU comes so late that it has minimal impact game-wise. I also turn off barbs (I tried them and found them too annoying), so Bisy is out.

In no particular order, these civs i find rather boring to play:
America
Denmark
Japan
Polynesia
Sweden

America's extra sight is nice, but heh.
Denmark is just blahhhhhh. Seriously i think they are the worst out there. I hate being forced to be at war to benefit from a civ.
Japan is pretty strong in war, but again, only in war.
Polynesia is awesome in islands maps...but i rarely play those since the AI struggles with navies, and the UU and Moai tend to be useless much of the time.
Sweden is just dumb. Who wastes valuable great people on CSes...and yay, let's be friends, while going to war with everyone else to use our UUs.

Sweden is just dumb. Who wastes valuable great people on CSes...and yay, let's be friends, while going to war with everyone else to use our UUs.
There are plenty of Great People I could foresee myself giving to City States. Great Generals and Admirals, for instance, if I'm playing a peaceful game, or Great Prophets, after I've maxed out my religion and I don't feel the need to spread it, or Great Artists/Musicians/Writers, if all my Great Work slots are full.

Top Bottom