Motherboard continuous beeping and windows freezing

Kool Keith

Warlord
Hi. Last night my computer started beeping loudly while I was not using it. It was pretty much a continuous beep (though it did stop beeping every once in a while, only to quickly start again). So I restarted the computer. When it reboots, sometimes Windows is frozen right from the get-go, but sometimes it works, only to start beeping and freezing up after a few minutes of use.

I googled this issue and according to some IBM beep codes I found, it seems like the problem could be either my power supply, system board, or keyboard.

But I don't know how to proceed with this issue and I don't know if I am even on the right track.

The computer is a 3 or 4 year old Dell Desktop (not sure of the model right now) and I don't have any warranty or maintenance plan, so I'd like to handle this myself if possible. And hopefully not have to buy a new computer. (Although this would allow my to play Civ 4 finally. :D )

I haven't had time to unplug and re-plug everything in yet, since I am at work right now.

I am hoping that some of you civvers might be able to lead me in the right direction toward solving this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Could be a keyboard error. Unplug/plug the keyboard, and see if that helps. Try a different keyboard.

^True. On my old computer, the connection slot for the mouse is slowly rusting, and it doesn't always connect correctly, so sometimes I have to replug it in. It also beeps angrily if I accidently replug the mouse into the keyboard slot.

Also, try pressing every single key on your keyboard (while the computer is off) in case one of them is stuck down. I've had the computer beep at me angrily when keys have been down for too long, and if it's not a letter/number key you might not notice it when Googling.

Hopefully it's a keyboard issue - that's easy to fix. If it's power supply, it'd probably be best to take it in to a repairman to fix it, even if you don't have a warranty, provided the cost to fix is reasonable. If it's system board, I don't know if it's fixable at all.

Couldn't hurt to try a different power strip, either - something wrong there could certainly cause a power problem.

I'd also recommend starting to back up all your important files - you don't know how much longer it'll keep working at all.

Good luck.

Yep, it appears to be the keyboard. I am using another keyboard as I type this and all seems to be well. I am running a virus scan, but I now doubt that has anything to do with it.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

To find your Dell model (for future reference), Dell pcs at that time had the model Dimension #### printed around the power button.

Start finding ways to backup your files. Your desktop is getting old, and if it fails, you might not be able to backup what you do need to.

Top Bottom